American Air Conditioning

SuperBacon

We don't have a Doomed Anecdotal thread* anymore, but this has bugged me for years and rewatching Seinfeld has just made me remember it again, and I can't be arsed to Google it.

How does air conditioning work in the States? Does the unit just sit wedged between the window and the sill? Is that it? Is that not really fucking dangerous? Or is it installed in a safer way?

As well, do they really need air conditioning? Surely it's not that warm in New York.

Also, fire hydrants. Why don't we have them in this country?

*Well aware this is the worst thread ever, and no one will reply, but I need to know.

• Paid Members

We have valves below ground that fire fighters can connect hoses to.

Considering how often cars crash into American fire hydrants (assuming movies are accurate representations of reality), this is 1-0 to the Brits.

• Paid Members

Most places in the state's I've been has it like a traditional central heating system, where the pipes and vents are integrated into the walls etc. so there's no visible units on the windows.

I think the reason for it in NY and the East coast in general is the humidity. It's unbearable for a good part of the year. That's only my opinion I'm sure some of our US friends can shed some light on the specifics.

4 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Only if you want it to drop on someone below.  Normally there's some bracketure (is that a word?) supporting the weight of the unit on ones I've seen up close.  I imagine summer in New York City is hateful.

So the windows are permanently open? Doesn't that negate the effect of the air Conditioner?

Honestly, this has baffled me for years. Maybe I've just seen too many films and TV shows.

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

As well, do they really need air conditioning? Surely it's not that warm in New York.

I was in New York during a September heatwave in 2015, and it was a life-saver. Almost every day I was there was hotter than the hottest day in London during our recent heatwaves. We were taking bottles of ice water out with us when going for walks. It also gets quite humid, which doesn't help. While it was a heatwave, their summers are generally more intense than ours. Definitely useful at night - we'd have struggled without.

3 minutes ago, Chris B said:

I was in New York during a September heatwave in 2015, and it was a life-saver. Almost every day I was there was hotter than the hottest day in London during our recent heatwaves. We were taking bottles of ice water out with us when going for walks. It also gets quite humid, which doesn't help. While it was a heatwave, their summers are generally more intense than ours. Definitely useful at night - we'd have struggled without.

I imagine every heatwave they have to be like the one in Do The Right Thing, without the rioting. Or possibly with.

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

We have valves below ground that fire fighters can connect hoses to.

Considering how often cars crash into American fire hydrants (assuming movies are accurate representations of reality), this is 1-0 to the Brits.

But it does normally allow black children to dance around under it though.

• Moderators

The window AC units are a fucking delight. Honestly one of the best things about the country, no more sweltering in the UK humidity with a poxy fan blowing hot air around. You are supposed to install a device to keep them in the window, but many people don't and yes they do fall out and kill people. I myself once drunkenly came home and opened the window that had an AC unit in it, dropped all the way to the street from about 15 feet, was lucky I didn't kill anyone.

6 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

I spent 4 months in Brooklyn during the summer of 2012 and the first month without air conditioning was the most unbearably uncomfortable I’ve ever been. I probably slept about 3 hours a night, and ended up filling a bath with cold water on a number of occasions just so I could nod off. The $50 extra a month in rent was well worth it to have one of the window units fitted.

Edited by Slapnut