Sean Connery has died

Jazzy G

14 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Not the best Bond and worst performance to win a supporting actor Oscar Sean Connery had pashed on

Cheers Lance!

Sad to read about this but it’s not a surprise and he had a great innings. Holds a place in my heart for the Highlander films more than he did for Bond, also had a great twilight career run of blockbusters which were great fun such as The Rock. His best moment for me was as Henry Jones Sr.

Spawned a generation of shite impressions, his Bond was a bit rapey, but if we don’t hold him up as Scotland’s most successful actor then it has to be Gerard Butler or Ewan McGregor which just isn’t worth thinking about.

• Paid Members

Yeah, Red October was a corker.

I've still never seen Zardoz. I think I've actually got a VHS of it tucked away somewhere that;s never felt fresh air on its flap. Might have to dig it out and play it alongside Goldfinger (which I meant to watch the other week after Nolan's passing).

Farewell Sir Sean. I'm not sure whether you were less a convincing Spaniard than you were an Irish American, but your deadpan delivery of "Our situation has not improved" will carry on being quoted plentifully by me.

45 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Let's not forget his finest hour... 

zardoz-12.jpg

I am never getting back the time I sunk into watching this awful, awful film. I saw it over 25 years ago and I'm still furious about it.

Regardless, Connery is one of the few actors who transcended whatever material he was given. A true icon of cinema.

It is slightly sad that the end to his cinematic legacy was the dreadful League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, a film he only took on due to regret over passing on Lord of the Rings (Gandalf) and The Matrix (he claimed Morpheus but it's been speculated it was actually the role of The Architect) because he didn't understand the scripts. The whole ordeal sent him into retirement as he had such a stressful time that he didn't want to ever go through it again.

He was only 73 at that point, so it's safe to say Stephen Norrington deprived us of possibly a few more great twilight performances from Connery, the hack.

Only saw The Man Who Would Be King a couple of years ago, and I'd probably now rank that as my favourite film of his that I've seen (which, admittedly, doesn't include Red October).

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

also ignore all Untouchables related blasphemy. I mean, really.

Nah m8. To liken it to another of his films with Super Kev, it’s like Costners performance as Robin Hood. An absolute ton of fun with no attempt of an accent.