UKFF Questions Thread v3

Otto Dem Wanz

I am very familiar with New Japan World, but do any of the other Japanese wrestling promotions offer video streaming services and if so, are they any good?

I am particularly interested in AJPW, Pro Wrestling Noah and Dragongate.

Well Noah for what it's worth is on the best wrestling service (imo) Wrestle Universe, for about £7 a month you're getting Noah, DDT, TJPW, Ganbare, Sendai Girls, Marigold, Michinoku Pro and Real Zero 1 - that latter two have less than the rest, will see how that develops over time - as well as the occasional show/matcb from other companies. There's kind of something for everyone there with a variety of styles and loads of live and on demand content. Obviously not every company will be right for you but plenty of variety and content available.

Something I've just remembered and wondered about for ages - watching CZW on the Wrestling Channel, there was a wrestler called B-Boy and (I may be completely misremembering this) they'd say his 'full' name but bleep the first part - B(bleep) Boy. I forgot that a B-Boy was a thing, and convinced myself his wrestling name must be Bitch-Boy or Bastard-Boy.

Does anyone else remember this happening? Cagematch says he had the nickname Blazin'. Is that what was bleeped?

3 hours ago, Ro_y Disco said:

Something I've just remembered and wondered about for ages - watching CZW on the Wrestling Channel, there was a wrestler called B-Boy and (I may be completely misremembering this) they'd say his 'full' name but bleep the first part - B(bleep) Boy. I forgot that a B-Boy was a thing, and convinced myself his wrestling name must be Bitch-Boy or Bastard-Boy.

Does anyone else remember this happening? Cagematch says he had the nickname Blazin'. Is that what was bleeped?

I was massively into CZW at the time and I don't remember his name being bleeped as he was always just B-Boy. 

He used Easy E's Real Muthaphuckkin' G's song as his entrance music so maybe that was bleeped in parts on the Wrestling Channel.

A bit of a two parter…and as someone who has seen very little NJPW. …

spacer.png

1. How good was Tenzan actually in the ring ?

2. What is considered his best match in his career ?

3. Were any of his matches in WCW any good ?

Edited by Browser Brady

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I know there are no traditional rules sets in wrestling, but what is usually done when a wrestler is demasked mid match? I have seen it happen and it has led to a DQ and I have also seen it when matches just continue. Is it usually a DQ or not?

Edited by Cheapheat

• Paid Members

Generally in lucha libre an intentional unmasking is grounds for disqualification. Unless that's embedded into the rules of the promotion, it's unlikely to be a DQ anywhere else - it was in CHIKARA, but I'm not aware of another US promotion having that rule unless they were explicitly referencing Lucha.

You will sometimes see a referee administer a five-count on a wrestler trying to remove their opponent's mask outside of lucha, though. I'd place that under a broader rule of not interfering with your opponent's gear.

• Paid Members
On 8/23/2024 at 10:49 PM, Browser Brady said:

1. How good was Tenzan actually in the ring ?

He was very good. Unfortunately he suffered massively from stop-start pushes. Right when he was incredibly popular, he had his legs cut out from under him because Inoki had a hard-on for MMA and absolutely HAD TO get the belt onto Nakamura even though he wasn't ready. Then winning the belt back only to lose it to Kensuke a month later. Then after a powerful series of title matches (and switches) with old mucka Kojima, dropping it almost immediately to Fujita, who was crap, but also did MMA!!!11

I would say peak and prime Tenzan is probably vs Akiyama in the 2003 G1 final, having beaten IWGP champ Takayama to get that far.

Quick (dumb) question: I've seen most wrestling results referring the arena IPW:UK formally used as "Orpington Halls" but when I Googled it, it is referred as "Orpington Village Hall". Has the place always been referred as the later opposed to "Orpington Halls"? I couldn't find nothing concrete about that.