The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

• Paid Members

For the Americans European geography is not high on their list of priorities. We can all just be thankful that Vince isn't still in charge otherwise Gunther would have a new female valet called Ann Schluss and the Harris twins would be on speed dial. 

That little moment when they come in close to each other and Gunther told Randy off mic  absolutely nothing catches him out of nowhere was really cool. Little stuff like that make it seem a bit more authentic which is something Gunther does really well in general. He’s not over confident or sneaky, he just backs himself and has no reason not to. 

22 hours ago, MVP RULZ said:

The only gripe I had with Raw was when did Gunther become German?

He has always been billed as being from Vienna, Austria and its been mentioned on commentary quite a few times he is Austrian but then Orton came out and referred to him as "German" 

At first I thought it was more a slip of the tongue from Orton, but then he mentioned about beating him in his homecountry and it was obviously deliberate

Now of course he has a huge history in Germany that can't be denied and the intent is obvious to build him up as the home favourite, not too dissimilar to Drew at the inaugural Clash at the Castle in Wales but that at least had the UK/British element to it keeping it somewhat grounded in reality

This is 2 completly different countries entirely who happen to border each other slightly but even then Berlin is quite a way from that border and Vienna as well.

Just think they could have kept him as being Austrian and just explained his German history and gone with that as the hook rather than going all Kofi and changing his Nationality completely on a whim to fit the narrative

I mean maybe they will explain it like that going forward now the Inital story and match is set in motion who knows

Have Germany and Austria ever had much interaction before? ;)

• Paid Members

Thought Randy Orton being Gunther’s first opponent was inspired. Genuinely shocked to see anyone complain.

It cleverly wraps up the botched finished from King of the Ring, using it to their advantage. It gives Gunther a big name for his first title defence (I think the dictionary definition is, “a Kane”). Randy’s in the perfect position to take a big loss since he’s likely only a few weeks away from a full reset, when he turns heel on Cody, making anything that comes before it irrelevant.

And most importantly of all, in 2024, a Smackdown guy jumping over to Raw for a bit won’t happen for no reason like it used to five to ten years ago. They’ll address it somehow down the line. Now if only you had one or two Raw guys that might need to pop over to Smackdown this Autumn. Perhaps for the greatest reunion of all time.

IMG_9078.thumb.jpeg.767f3364e9c8586191b5714c3f93e12f.jpeg

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

Thought Randy Orton being Gunther’s first opponent was inspired. Genuinely shocked to see anyone complain.

It cleverly wraps up the botched finished from King of the Ring, using it to their advantage. It gives Gunther a big name for his first title defence (I think the dictionary definition is, “a Kane”). Randy’s in the perfect position to take a big loss since he’s likely only a few weeks away from a full reset, when he turns heel on Cody, making anything that comes before it irrelevant.

Even that aspect doesn't matter. Randy can lose to anyone and not suffer in the slightest. He's one of the most selfless, giving guys ever in that respect. No "That doesn't work for me brother" ever from our Randy it seems. Guy has dropped the big belts to Mark Henry, Miz, Christian and Jinder Mahal. As well as being massively involved in the biggest of Bray Wyatt wacky bollocks. Remained one of the most over guys on the roster through it all. 

No, it was actually really good! Not sure there was anything groundbreaking but it had a great main event 2/3 falls match between Breakker and Zayn, a very heated opening angle with the Terror Twins and Judgment Day, plus a tease towards Punk vs. Drew in a strap match some time down the line. A few frustrating things such as Rhea getting WHAT'd in her opening promo, but generally very enjoyable. I took the time to watch the show rather than just YouTube highlights and skipped very little.

• Paid Members

I’ve not seen the show, the kids being off for the Summer Holidays always ruins my steady diet of stupid fake fighting, but this clip raised a smile.

Punk clearly getting a sulk on over the people who mocked his big blood feud pay per view match being about a cheap, shit bracelet.

Whatever, Phil.

IMG_9115.thumb.jpeg.e5c87a5764b9c625f5a7f4f2e2402462.jpeg

It was a decent Raw but by their own standards this year so far, it felt like the first one where you could conceivably feel they might be about to dip into their traditional post SummerSlam holding pattern. 

Also - in an era where they've made seemingly made almost every name performer on the shows hot - a quick glance at Raw in particular and there's quite a lot of driftwood about the place right now, at least for me.

Sheamus & Pete Dunn, wind down era New Day, Alpha Academy, American Made, Karrion Kross, Bronson Reed. A whole lot of lukewarm there that could fill out a modern era bottom pile In Your House show. 

Even the two big ascendancy acts helming it all - Gunther and Bron - no arguments that they're top acts that deserve a good billing - but they don't seem to contrast too heavily to that undercard.

I always tend to think whenever they've done a brand split, there's been a meathead one and a 'fun' one. Raw's a WCW Power Plant faction right now. 

I really enjoyed that episode. It felt like a really fresh show, packed with new(ish) faces. 

I've been feeling pretty convinced recently that Bron Breakker is going to be the next big star for the company - potentially a Roman Reigns level of wrestler - and I feel even more convinced this week. His promo ability seems to be improving by the week, and add that to his continually evolving ring work and they have something special on their hands.

He's stated in interviews that his goal is to be the person who retires John Cena, and I'm wondering if that's by design. I could see Cena winning the World title from Gunther at, perhaps, Wrestlemania and holding on to it for the majority of 2025, stating that when he loses the belt, that will be his last match; making every title defence a potential retirement match. I could absolutely see them have Breakker end Cena's in ring career. 

Ludwig Kaiser is another wrestler who feels destined for the top. It's interesting that they chose to set Vinci on a singles path first; but in the longer term, I could see Kaiser reaching the very top. His match with Orton was really strong, and he looked very good in defeat. 

The Wyatt Sicks continue to be much better than they have any right to be, and I'm looking forward to Bo Dallas's in ring return. His performances, I imagine, will define how far the group can go. I always perceived him to be a better wrestler than his brother, but a weaker promo - he's been nailing the promo work though, so the ceiling might be high for him. 

Bronson Reed is winning me over too, I'm assuming they're going to have him beat Strowman, and their match has the potential to be good fun. I'm looking forward to it, you don't get many big men matches these 

• Paid Members

He's gone too far. He must be stopped. I know Hunter has a fetish for factions and tag teams constantly squabbling and teasing dissension. I've accepted it.

But The New Day? THE NEW DAY? Fuck off.

15 minutes ago, Supremo said:

He's gone too far. He must be stopped. I know Hunter has a fetish for factions and tag teams constantly squabbling and teasing dissension. I've accepted it.

But The New Day? THE NEW DAY? Fuck off.

The optimist in me wonders if it's all leading up to Big E making his big comeback. 

But if it isn't, I'm totally up for either Kingston or Woods doing something different and going on a singles heel run. 

Edited by RedTwoster