VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Last film I caught on there was Suzhou River and it's a must watch, beautifully shot rebellious film from China.

I watched this last weekend too, it was very good.

• Members
1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

Last film I caught on there was Suzhou River and it's a must watch, beautifully shot rebellious film from China.

https://whatsonmubi.com/ is pretty good to help search, just make sure you select what's showing on the UK site.

Sounds great, am going to watch this weekend.

1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

I honestly don't know where to start on there really. There's just so much and I'm not good at making decisions.

Maybe, look for a director you recognise? Or one of the "popular" films from the last couple of years? Return To Seoul, Aftersun, Everybody Loves Jeanne, One Fine Morning are all on there and all films I enjoyed last year. Passages and Shiva Baby are good films, even though they weren't quite for me.

I started with Reservoir Dogs as I've decided to watch all the Tarantino films, as I'm an idiot obviously. 

Fond memories of Suzhou River as it was one of the films we studied during a module of sixth form film studies. Got the DVD for Christmas one year, reckon it’s worth upwards of £1.50 now! 

Edited by SaitoRyo

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

I honestly don't know where to start on there really. There's just so much and I'm not good at making decisions.

I get like this a lot, I easily get overwhelmed by choice and can't decide on what to watch.

One of my solutions now is to write a list on wheelofnames.com and let the wheel pick for me.

Bandidas 

Or, to give it it's Czech title, 'Sexy Pistols'. 2006 comedy western that is only intermittently (and mildly) funny. It's alright. Director(s) were clearly inspired by Rodriguez, Coens etc. Penelope Cruz and Selma Sayek star so, at the very least, you get to look at them for 80 or so minutes. 

Honeysuckle Rose

Willie Nelson basically plays a fictional version himself. This is all about life on the road in a country band so there's lots of drinking and hijinks. It's not zany or anything though. Great soundtrack, too, because it's basically 85% Willie Nelson songs. Oh, and Emmylou Harris pops up for a song halfway through, so that's nice. Not a great deal of drama or anything in it, but it's a good way to spend a couple of hours! Directed by Jerry Schatzberg, of The Panic in Needle Park and Scarecrow fame. 

Right, started my MUBI adventure just by working through the page. I'm a simple guy.

Fallen Leaves

I actually don't want to say too much about it as half the enjoyment was going in blind. But it was definitely worth watching with a wonderful chemistry between the two leads and it was just a real joy. I say joy. It has an interesting tone to it and a balance between the bleak and happy in life. I liked it a lot.

How To Have Sex

As a 40 year old man who has never drunk alcohol or been away on clubbing holidays, I wasn't exactly expecting this one to resonate with me. In fact I generally hate the culture and a lot of people when they're drunk so this movie was almost my worst nightmare. Yet somewhere in there I found something to relate to - the fragile nature of friendships, of meeting strangers and just how unsure life is at that young age. That stress you can have about being a virgin, or your school results, and all that took me back to how different life is at that age and how the worries are so much different to those as an adult. The excitement of the unknown but also making mistakes and trying to fight through the pain. Also made me think how my two girls will go through all that.

Thought it was well directed with some strong performances from the lead girls and the guys too. None of the characters felt too OTT which can often be the case with movies like this, descending into caricatures rather than grounding everything in reality. Well I say reality but as someone who's never been on a holiday like that, I can only assume it's a fair representation of what it's like. But beyond the situation, the emotions and life experiences definitely felt real.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Lorne Malvo said:

I get like this a lot, I easily get overwhelmed by choice and can't decide on what to watch.

One of my solutions now is to write a list on wheelofnames.com and let the wheel pick for me.

If you have a watchlist on Letterboxd, there's a shuffle button that I use quite a lot. In the drop-down of the far-right column on your watchlist page.

I got half way through the latest Red Letter Media video and had to stick on the film they were talking about, Dinner In America. I need more good Punk films.

It's genuinely the best comedy I've seen in a good while, it manages to be downright fucking crude while having so much love and heart put in to it and ultimately ends up as a brilliant off kilter and very indie rom-com. Kyle Gallner really is one of the unsung great actors around right now and nails everything given to him, I'd never seen Emily Skeggs before but she's just as great.

Edited by Merzbow

Candyman (first watch) - the 2019 one. I’ve only seen the original film, so I’m not sure if the idea of a hive of Candymen was brought up in the sequels, but I like that aspect of this one. It ended rather abruptly though, and wasn’t particularly scary. Needed more Tony Todd. 3/5

The Pianist - uncomfortable to watch at times. Adrien Brody is excellent. 5/5

Wyatt Earp - a good cast, a rubbish villain, longer than it needs to be, Kevin Costner’s worst Western. Young Wyatt Earp had Saul Goodman hair. 3/5 

Avengers: Infinity War/Avengers: Endgame - seems like a long time ago when Marvel films were actually really bloody good. 5/5

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Dr. Alan Grant said:

Avengers: Infinity War/Avengers: Endgame - seems like a long time ago when Marvel films were actually really bloody good. 5/5

Never really is a long time ago.

That Scream reboot? Dog shit, innit?

But seriously, I just finished it and it was worst thing I've watched so far this year and the aforementioned Mr Gallner deserved better. Plus they fucked themselves out of a sequel by sacking one main and then losing the other right after.

35 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

That Scream reboot? Dog shit, innit?

But seriously, I just finished it and it was worst thing I've watched so far this year and the aforementioned Mr Gallner deserved better. Plus they fucked themselves out of a sequel by sacking one main and then losing the other right after.

I've watched the most recent two and wasn't impressed. The original trilogy was diminishing returns, yes, but every one of them is better than V and VI (which they just fucking called Scream for whatever reason) in my opinion.

The sixth one got a decent amount of praise but I just don't see it. None of the Scream films have come close to touching the original and likely never well. It's played-out and the new generation just don't have the charisma to carry it. 

I'll still watch the inevitable seventh one, because I'm a cunt.