VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

I'd somehow never watched Gone Girl and saw it was on Mubi, that's one hell of a ride and I loved every minute of it. Although I think the real twist was learning that Ben Affleck nearly got the entire film shut down because he wouldn't wear a Yankees cap, good lad.

• Paid Members

Barbie

Of course, very funny and enjoyable. Never going to be as incisive a critique of what it's railing against because of Mattel being involved directly with its production but I expected that coming in. A really good time with Michael Cera's Allan the MVP.

Priscilla (cinema)

Passable. I tend not to go much for biopics and I can take or leave Sofia Coppola but Cailee Spaeny's performance and the coverage of Presley's grooming were really strong. Too much about him though and Jacob Elordi's Elvis impression is pretty crap. He has nothing else to offer here.

Expend4bles

Nobody wanted this and I say that as somebody who loves all of Jason Statham's films. They just don't work these ensemble action films. Completely wastes Tony Jaa and Iko Uwais, just like every other American film they've done. Not terrible but Jason's always done better than this.

Beau is Afraid

Ari Aster completes the journey up his own sphincter. Starts off promisingly but three ice ages later has nothing to offer. Not quite as shit as Midsommar but still largely so.

How to Have Sex (Mubi)

This is vital and powerful and heartbreaking all at the same time. Should be recommended viewing for everyone, especially our kids, and is one of the best films of 2023. My biggest takeaway from it though is how awesome it is to see so many young British female filmmakers breaking through in the last 5 or 6 years and making stuff as strong and important as this.

River Wild

For some reason they decided to do a sequel to the Meryl Streep action thriller. 30 years later. It's alright, but Adam Brody should be doing much bigger and better stuff than this. Mind you, if I was married to Leighton Meester I'd want to spend as much time as possible with her too.

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Just started watching Uncharted. Will see it through but fuck me... Wahlberg is just intolerable. And also I can't listen to him speaking without hearing Andy Samberg's impression from SNL.

Uncharted was a fun film, but would have been a much better film with a completely different cast. Tom Holland and Marky Mark especially poor casting choices if basing on the source material. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Tom Holland and Marky Mark especially poor casting choices if basing on the source material. 

Tom Holland has been a poor casting choice in everything he's been in. What is the appeal of that guy? Bring back downvotes for any smartarse saying "Ask Zendaya!"

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I've only seen him in Spider-Man movies before this so not sure what else you've been watching him in Dev, but I liked him as Spider-Man 

Everything I've seen him in. Maybe I need to watch Spider-Man!

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Everything I've seen him in. Maybe I need to watch Spider-Man!

Yeah, he’s a really great Peter Parker but can’t think of any other performance of his I’ve liked. 

• Paid Members

His funniest turn was in that The Devil All the Time piece of shit Netflix knocked out a few years ago. If you thought he was miscast in Uncharted you should see him in that.

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Just started watching Uncharted. Will see it through but fuck me... Wahlberg is just intolerable. And also I can't listen to him speaking without hearing Andy Samberg's impression from SNL.

Halfway through this I realised I had seen it before. That should tell you about as much as you need to know about how memorable it is. 

I really wanted to like it a lot more than I actually did.

I went to see Wonka on Monday. It was a lot of fun. There are some decent songs, that will no doubt get stuck in my head as my daughter plays them on repeat around the house, but the musical numbers didn't wow me.

The film overall was good though, with some really great performances (Hugh Grant sterling the show of course). I thought Timothee Chalamet's version of Wonka suited the film if you don't worry too much about comparing it to previous versions or what you think the character should be. He's young and more earnest and trusting, and has not yet become an eccentric recluse.

Paul King loves a jailbreak and heist it seems, doesn't it? 

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Awards Moderator

There's a giraffe bit in Wonka (look at me with all the spoilers!) and it occurred to me at that point that is exactly what a Fantastic Beasts movie should've been. The whole thing had the right tone for the premise they'd setup, so that a Grindelwald - Dumbledore feud / love story could be told in a different film altogether.

The Expendables - no action lead should be named Barney. 2/5

Vacation (first watch) - furthers my belief that Ed Helms is the worst thing in anything in does. Watch it for the two kids and Christina Applegate. 2/5

Airplane! - unpopular opinion (or maybe popular), but Johnny is terrible and his absence would improve this. 4/5

Maestro (first watch) - the two leads are very good (and Snoopy’s cameo), but this is completely forgettable. 3/5

Scary Movie - Anna Faris deserves the world. 2/5

I don’t mind Tom Holland. He’s good in The Impossible but he’s just a kid in that so the bar is lower. Uncharted is fine, Holland is fine for what they were angling for but Wahlberg clearly can’t be arsed to be there and is a shite Sully.