WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

On 2/21/2022 at 2:42 PM, Chest Rockwell said:

I'd definitely be up for picking up puzzle fighter on its own but I'm not sure I could justify picking up the whole package just for that at what I'm sure will be a premium price.

Yeah, it's probably one I'll add to my eShop wishlist, on view to buying it once it inevitably goes on sale. Although I will admit I'm a sucker for these retro collections. 

• Paid Members

Street Fighter 4 was the start of this DLC costumes thing with them sticking the themed costume packs out, but Street Fighter X Tekken was really egregious with the DLC characters that were already on the original game disc, and the pay to win gem system. It eroded what little goodwill a lot of people had in Capcom.

Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite didn't do then any favours either with the graphics looking like a mixed bag because of the characters being outsourced and another broken gem system.

By the time Street Fighter 5 turned up looking like a free to play game, in spite of it being sold for full price, the few people still holding out were also getting a little upset. It arguably led to Yoshinori Ono's departure from Capcom and his being replaced by Nakayama, who actually managed to turn it into a decent game by the time the final season ended. I think there's one more balance patch to come presumably in time for EVO, and probably a Capcom Pro Tour 2022 costume DLC coming. 

I can see Street Fighter 6 going the way of Street Fighter 5 in that there'll be a hard core fan base that will pick it up straight away unless it's a much fuller experience at launch, then as the other "arcade" and "ultra" editions come out with the added DLC characters over the next few years more people might jump in to buy it when their main arrives, but I also think (hope?) Capcom, Nakayama and Co will learn from the experiences of the first few years of Street Fighter 5 and try to make SF6 look like a more attractive prospect from the off. 

I'm not opposed to adding new characters into the game and rebalancing things over time as it can help keep things fresh, and would definitely prefer unlocking costumes to paying for them, but there will always be some people who'll happily pay through the nose to play dress up with their fighting game waifu.

You only have to look at the thousands of dollars of costume packs Koei Tecmo put out for the Dead Or Alive games, or the fact that the female characters probably make up 70% of the costumes in Street Fighter 5, to see how bad that can be. There are some costumes in the DOA6, but they have to be acquired piece by piece from loot boxes, earned by grinding through the game's mission or online modes. There's even an element of this in SF5 with the lucky tickets, but for whole costumes. The defence is always "if you're not happy with it, don't buy it." but they know there'll be enough revenue generated to justify it. 

I think the last few Tekken games managed to do the costume thing right by having an in game boutique where costume pieces and other cosmetic effects for customising characters are bought using money that can only be earned in the game. 

Sorry for the essay. I fear things are only going to get worse. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members

That'll be good. I'm still waiting for the Breakers collection as it keeps getting delayed. They're some amazingly well balanced fighting games, especially Breakers Revenge. I had some great times playing them afternoon playing those online and offline against @air_raid@air_raid through the wonders of Fightcade.

Edited by jazzygeofferz

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2022/02/sony-goes-game-pass-by-putting-shadow-warrior-3-on-ps-now-at-launch

This is quite interesting. Basically if you have PSNow, you get Shadow Warrior 3 for the cost of absolutely gratis.

I assume we will start to get more of this sort of thing in the coming months. I dont know the finances of it but its a nice incentive to get PSNow and probably a decent little spotlight on a game that could easily fly under the radar due to the big releases around this time.

Unrelated note - I got the chance to actually sit and play Horizon Forbidden West for an extended period last night and I really enjoyed it. One thing I will say is that it seems to encourage grinding / side quests. I have been doing the main story only and the next quest is recommended for level 17 and up. I am only at level 12! I don't want to have to do some bullshit fetch quest stuff.

• Paid Members

Just managed to get a PS5, which should be delivered tomorrow. 

What games are considered must haves? I'm not a fan of First Person games(although I have already ordered the last Resident Evil game), but really like 3rd Person ones. Is there any games that will show off the next gen qualities and really impress me?

8 minutes ago, Cod Eye said:

Just managed to get a PS5, which should be delivered tomorrow. 

What games are considered must haves? I'm not a fan of First Person games(although I have already ordered the last Resident Evil game), but really like 3rd Person ones. Is there any games that will show off the next gen qualities and really impress me?

One thing to note is that a lot of the PS5 games have a performance mode and a quality mode. Just depends on whether you want to prioritise the framerate or the graphical quality. I tend to go with performance as once you get used to 60fps, its quite jarring to drop back to 30fps.

The aforementioned Horizon: Forbidden West is genuinely impressive.

I think Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart is a pretty good showcase if you are into a less realistic game. Kena: Bridge of Spirits is also lovely looking in that regard and is something of a budget game.

Demons Souls looks fantastic but is ultimately only playable if you like the From Software house style and / or hate yourself. 

There are quite a few remasters of games that were already stunning on PS4 but are now nicer looking, better framerates, zero loading times etc. If you haven't played them before then FFVII Intergrade, Uncharted Legacy of Thieves Collection and Ghost of Tsushima Directors Cut are all well worth a look.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

There are quite a few remasters of games that were already stunning on PS4 but are now nicer looking, better framerates, zero loading times etc. If you haven't played them before then FFVII Intergrade, Uncharted Legacy of Thieves Collection and Ghost of Tsushima Directors Cut are all well worth a look.

It looks like I can pay £10 to upgrade my Uncharted Legacy to the PS5 version, so that's a no-brainer, and I always fancied Ghost of Tsushima last gen, but never to around to getting it, so I might plump for that too

1 hour ago, The Curious Orange said:

Both the Spider-Man games will be worth a look on PS5 too if you haven't already played them

I loved the Spider-Man game on PS4. Is it worth getting the PS5 version too, then?

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Cod Eye said:

It looks like I can pay £10 to upgrade my Uncharted Legacy to the PS5 version, so that's a no-brainer, and I always fancied Ghost of Tsushima last gen, but never to around to getting it, so I might plump for that too

I loved the Spider-Man game on PS4. Is it worth getting the PS5 version too, then?

You can get miles spiderman game that comes with the original.  The ps5 runs some really fancy graphical improvements on it. I was happy to play it again. 

7 hours ago, TildeGuy~! said:

I’m praying this leads to a Persona 4 Golden release.

I'm starting to wonder if there's some weird legal/financial reason why it's never come to current consoles. 

I mean it's not like Atlus to just ignore easy money and a P4G remaster would almost certainly rake in some cash.

Theres also a potential gold mine in PS2 era SMT/Persona remasters and with Nocturne getting the remaster treatment I hope we see more. 

Oh and Soul Hackers 2 has been announced. 

Looks fun and obviously a day 1 purchase for me but also looks a little too Persona 5 imo.

I was a late comer to Persona, Only Played Persona 5 Royal, which I fell in love with so I’ve always wanted play 3 and 4.

I’ve read they might be bringing Persona 4 Golden to modern consoles and will be announced on Atlus 25h Anniversary but that’s just speculation at this point.

Edited by TildeGuy~!