WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, wordsfromlee said:

I'm currently playing Far Cry 5 which while I'm enjoying it, I'll no doubt get bored of the repetitiveness half way through like I have done with all the others. I haven't come across the token hallucination level yet, but with that Bliss stuff being a major factor in the storyline I presume it's not far away.

I'm playing it at the moment too. To be honest, I thought the bliss stuff (which is the main part of the second region- Faith's area) kept the game quite fresh. I think the Faith character is a very good alternative to John and Joseph.

Like you I was dreading the inevitable repetitiveness you get from Far Cry, but so far it's alright. Hopefully Jacob's region will have enough to keep me interested too.

• Paid Members

The thing that fucked me off about Far Cry 5 was the impromptu cut scenes and set-pieces. I'd be making my way to a particular location, or doing some hunting and gathering to get stocked up on supplies, or just having a grand old time arsing about when I'd be forcibly kicked into some storyline bullshit with no prior warning. I was fucked over the one time when I was real low on ammo and health packs, and I was on my way to refill the inventory when one of those fucking things triggered mid-way to the shop. I had to do a mini-boss battle with next to fuck all on me and no option to run away and do it later.

Other than that, it's a fun by-the-numbers action game. After going through 4 and 5 in the past five years though, I'm probably going to sit the sixth edition out.

18 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I'm still plodding through the first Halo. Those copy pasted level designs are bloody confusing. Presumably it gets better and a little less tedious when I get to the later games? I like the story though. 

It gets a little better - as Halo's crunch development essentially meant that the second half of the game is more or less the first half in reverse - but the labyrinthine, generic cut-and-paste indoor environments very much remain a staple of Bungie's original trilogy I'm afraid. Halo 2 has better variety though, and the level design in 3 is much better. I prefer the eerie mood of 2 and think it's one of the great flawed masterpieces, but Halo 3 is objectively probably the best game in the series. 

Speaking of, my own appraisal of Infinite has aged like fine milk. The gameplay is butter smooth, but it'll probably wind up being the first Halo game I'm not arsed finishing. For all the pre-release trumpeting that it wouldn't be Halo: Far Cry, that's exactly what it feels like to me. 

Taking down communication towers to raise the moral of the UNSC troops in the area? Fuck off. At least with Far Cry you know you're getting that level of blockbuster, mindless open world pap.

Since we're discussing it, I much preferred FC5 to the newest one. I actually really enjoyed the cult vibe and the locale, and for all its pomp thought it came off as quite a grounded 'realistic' world by Far Cry standards. I played a bit of the newest one but the guns, UI and radioactive Sunny D glow on everything all looked a bit silly. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

• Paid Members

That last mission on the first one was a load of bollocks with those driving controls. Dreadful. I lost count of how many times I ended up falling out of the warthog and then getting back in on the passenger side. Took me about 7 attempts to do it, and I'm glad they stopped the timer when I did manage to get into the ship as that cutscene was about a minute long, and I only had 25 seconds left. The second one feels like a completely different game. I did the first couple of missions of it last night. They're fun enough. I wouldn't last ten seconds online against actual people though. 

The new six parter documentary on the Xbox is on YouTube in full and well worth checking out if you have any interest in the conception of consoles/Digital Foundry type content. The episodes fly by and they're not too sugar coated. Made me remember again just how weird the original Xbox was in how it elbowed into the market initially unwanted, like a Direct X PC/Sega Dreamcast mutant. 

• Paid Members

Nintendo snuck 5 new games into the Megadrive part of the Switch Online stuff today: Dynamite Heddy, Altered Beast, Toejam & Earl, Thunder Force 2 & Sword Of Vermillion. 

• Paid Members

I didn't realise Assassin's Creed Odyssey was on a free play days this weekend. I'm going to give it a look after people here mentioned there's nowhere near as much stealth involved., especially while it's 75% off until New Year.

Also I saw that Hades has won the first and only Hugo award for videogames.

https://kotaku.com/hades-wins-a-hugo-award-making-history-as-first-video-1848242324

• Paid Members

My Switch is starting to demonstrate some of the dreaded stick drift on the left analogue. I've managed to deal with the worst of it through the configuration menu, but still can't help worrying that it may be time to pick up a new Switch soon. Especially given that the cost of a repair from Nintendo isn't all that different from the cost of a new console. 

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

My Switch is starting to demonstrate some of the dreaded stick drift on the left analogue. I've managed to deal with the worst of it through the configuration menu, but still can't help worrying that it may be time to pick up a new Switch soon. Especially given that the cost of a repair from Nintendo isn't all that different from the cost of a new console. 

Just buy a new pair of Joycons rather than a whole Switch?