The Smoking Room

Tommy!

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, waters44 said:

My old man’s a heavy smoker but he phoned me the other week moaning that he had to give up because of lockdown.

Ive only ever known him go into two shops, his local newsagents which he calls “The Nutters” and B&Q.  Well he’s not happy because The Nutters have stopped doing cash so he can’t get his Virginia Gold anymore. My step mum has tried to teach him how to use a debit card but he can’t be dealing with all that apparently. So he would rather give up smoking instead of learning how to tap a card on a little terminal 🤷‍♂️

Between this and the Farming Simulator phone calls, your old man sounds class. 

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Between this and the Farming Simulator phone calls, your old man sounds class. 

Haha he’s a very.... straight forward man. My Grandad on the other hand is the complete opposite, really whacky and crazy and still causing trouble in his mid 80s. I’ll post a few of his stories when I get the chance 

• 1 year later...

Right, I've had enough of smoking. I don't enjoy it anymore and its annoying me.

I've quit twice before with no help, but I think I'm gonna need a bit of assistance this time as it's my go to when I'm stressed or down, which is pretty much always.

It's just breaking routines for me. Like I have got into this habit of getting to work and making a coffee and having a smoke (usually two tbh) with it before the day starts.

I know if I got to work and just went and sat down, I've broke that routine and that's pretty much how you kick it, but it's easier said than done.

Don't want gum or patches, dont want to vape (as I'm not a nonce) but am interested in an e-cigarette, and have been looking at the Blu one, but not too sure if it's worth the hassle.

Any recommendations or help would be appreciated. 

Just now, King Coconut said:

I tried many times before managing it 4 years ago by vaping and gradually reducing the tasty, tasty product in the juice. There was no noticeable difference between my last day on it and my first day off it.

Is vaping a massive faff? 

I'd be keener to have the e-cig but if everyone says vaping is the easier option then I'll try it.

1 minute ago, SuperBacon said:

Is vaping a massive faff? 

I'd be keener to have the e-cig but if everyone says vaping is the easier option then I'll try it.

It's a minor faff but I really wanted to be able to reduce the nicotine slowly, which was only possible with a vape 4 years ago. If you can do that with an e-cig these days then it's probably the better option.

2 minutes ago, King Coconut said:

It's a minor faff but I really wanted to be able to reduce the nicotine slowly, which was only possible with a vape 4 years ago. If you can do that with an e-cig these days then it's probably the better option.

I think I'm a bit confused by them as I've looked up the Blu E-cig, but to be honest you have to fill it with liquids, so that to me is a vape?

Fuck sake, I'll just carry on smoking, it's easier 😂

• Paid Members
52 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I think I'm a bit confused by them as I've looked up the Blu E-cig, but to be honest you have to fill it with liquids, so that to me is a vape?

Fuck sake, I'll just carry on smoking, it's easier 😂

I use the disposable vapes, they’re not great for the environment but other vapes I’ve had, even fairly expensive ones, are a leaky faff. I’m still on 20mg nicotine though, as every time I try to lower it I end up blasting the hell out of it until it makes me feel sick. Haven’t touched a fag in years so I’m still relatively happy with it. 

Edited by stumobir

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Right, I've had enough of smoking. I don't enjoy it anymore and its annoying me.

This is all you need, keep that thought in your head and fucking go for it.

I started smoking bits and pieces at 12, started proper smoking, as in 'had to' at 15. And I gave up coming up to 4 years ago after 20 plus years. I told no one I was doing it so less pressure, and I just stopped with EXACTLY that thought you have. I had pangs and cravings for about a month, but I'd just tell myself I'd had enough of it. And I did it.

Massive believer you need to want to stop to actually stop. My previous attempts were always to appease other people, the time it worked was because it was for me.

Still find my fingers fiddling with nothing for no reason like how I'll catch myself rolling imaginary fags from time to time, that 'pantomime' was the hardest to break. But I in no way miss it or need it.

Edited by Teedy Kay

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, King Coconut said:

This has blown my mind! I do this too but never made the connection because I only roll the roach end.

I used to tap the flitered end on the back of my left hand to pack the tobacco in tighter. I still hit my index, middle finger and thumb on the back of my hand as if doing this.

The physical rolling of a cigarette is actually the main thing I miss, I had a rhythm and order to it, I pretty much hit a perfect ciggy each time. I miss the setting out of my pouch, papers and filters and going to work. The actual nicotine addiction has never really bothered me. I went to a work place I'd not been to for years, spent 5 minutes there and my mind turned to walking round the back for a smoke. Nothing to do with nicotine, just that's what my brain tells me I should be doing there.

Get over those habits, and you beat smoking.

Getting out of the routine and habit was the key to me quitting. I did it in stages and it worked wonders for me. I started a new job and decided to not smoke at work so I didn't get into the habit of it. Then I ended up moving house and decided to never smoke in that house. Then I stopped buying cigarettes and would have the odd one from a mate on a night out. Then it got to the point where smoking happened to infrequently and was so far and in between that I'd started to get my sense of taste back and could only manage half a fag before having enough. These days just the smell of smoke (especially the smell of people who have just come back in from smoking) makes me retch. I understand that might not be the best way for everyone, but it worked for me.

One other thing was to refer to yourself as having quit smoking, not quitting. Even if it's your first day, you don't smoke anymore, rather than you're in the process of quitting.

22 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

These days just the smell of smoke (especially the smell of people who have just come back in from smoking) makes me retch.

Even with being a smoker, I absolutely detest the smell. If I come in from a break, I scrub my hands for a couple of minutes, spray some deodorant and mint mouth spray. I know I still smell of smoke as I've just been for a cigarette, but I try and mask it as much as possible.

My manager, who smokes rollies as well, just comes straight in after smoking and reeks of smoke. 

The thing with me is I only really smoke at work. For instance, I haven't had one since Friday afternoon as I've done fuck all this weekend and I hate smoking outside my block of flats.

If it was light and sunny it might be different as I sometimes go and sit in the park and have a smoke, but standing outside a block of flats, smoking and knowing it's going into peoples windows is fucking rude. So this deters me from smoking at home, and I'd never smoke in the flat as that is the grimmest thing I can think of.

Anyway, thanks everyone for all the tips and things. Will be giving it a good go.