UFC Fight Night: Smith vs Teixeira - May 13 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I thought it was interesting Cormier talking about Smiths corner. How they were constantly shouting at him what to do. Just a non stop wall of noise and because theres no crowd he could hear every word so was doing everything they said. Cormier thinks thats why Smith gassed towards the end of the 2nd. Not sure if thats the main reason for him gassing but its an interesting theory.

As Brody said above they didn't have a great night anyway, sending him out for the 5th when he was basically telling them he was really fucked up. According to Helwani he had a broken orbital bone, broken nose and two teeth knocked out. 

4 hours ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

I thought it was interesting Cormier talking about Smiths corner. How they were constantly shouting at him what to do. Just a non stop wall of noise and because theres no crowd he could hear every word so was doing everything they said. Cormier thinks thats why Smith gassed towards the end of the 2nd. Not sure if thats the main reason for him gassing but its an interesting theory.

As Brody said above they didn't have a great night anyway, sending him out for the 5th when he was basically telling them he was really fucked up. According to Helwani he had a broken orbital bone, broken nose and two teeth knocked out. 

It's definitely an interesting point about Smith's corner. Even if it might not be directly responsible for him gassing so early it can't possibly have helped for them to be constantly yelling instructions at him.

• Paid Members

Glover is probably the nicest guy in MMA, I love the bloke. Its great fo see him going on this late career run too, one more win and we can legit be talking about a title shot! He's just out-toughing these guys at the moment, takes what they give him then comes on strong, the guys a beast, granite tough.

It must have been frightening to go back to your corner after round 2 spend and know you gotta go 3 more with a fresher man who hits as hard as Glover. Thought Smith's corner did him a disservice like most, especially after  round 3. The guy was done.

OSP looked terrified against Rothwell. The fight was a plodder but the last round was really good. Back to 205 for OSP.

Herandez/Dober & Borg/Simon were good fights too. 

Another good night, highlighted by a brutal main event.

• Paid Members

I thought Smith was looking alright but then he made Glover's eye blow up which seemed to make Glover step up his output (perhaps worried the eye will close soon). I thought there were at least a couple of times the ref should have stopped it.

OSP v Rothwell was like WCW sticking Vincent v Van Hammer on Nitro. It was there and filled a spot, but absolutely nothing interesting happened.

• Paid Members

It's a shame, because OSP was on a bit of a run - not of wins, but of being more interesting. I'm always happy to see people turn it around in some way or another instead of getting cut, and it seemed like OSP had finally justified keeping him around. I hope this loss is just because he's not big enough to compete at HW, and he drops back down to LHW. Sure, there's not much going on for him at 205, but now that HW is a non-starter, and the UFC isn't going to start a Cruiserweight or Super-Middleweight division any time soon, it's the only option he really has. Would like to see him bust out some more Von Flue chokes before he calls it a day.

• Paid Members

It was a one off move to test to the waters apparently. OSP is certainly big enough to compete at heavyweight, he just seemed to be having abit of self-doubt in those opening 2 rounds.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

It was a one off move to test to the waters apparently. OSP is certainly big enough to compete at heavyweight, he just seemed to be having abit of self-doubt in those opening 2 rounds.

Fair enough, but if he's losing to Ben Rothwell, it's not a particularly good sign of things to come if he stays at HW.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

2830-D9-C8-4-EBA-4656-880-C-48610904897-

Fair play. Although Smith’s corner should absolutely shoulder some of the responsibility as well. It’s the referee’s job to look out for the safety of the fighter and step in when necessary. But it’s as much on the corner to recognise when it’s time to pull their fighter out as well. More in some ways because they know that fighter specifically and the signs and distress signals they might show better than any ref.

• Paid Members

Listened to a couple of podcasts that argued that MMA corners need to get past their reluctance to throw in the towel or pull guys out between rounds. Off the top of my head i dont think i can think of one instance where someone was pulled out by the corner. Sure there are some, but i cant recall one. 

• Paid Members

The one that jumps out, although it wasn’t stopped in the corner, is when Nick Diaz threw the towel in when Nate got headkicked into the twilight zone by Josh Thomson. But that fight was finishing either way when that kick landed. Nick just stopped it before the ref could.

I’m sure there have been corner stoppages but, like you, none are springing to mind. BJ Penn called it himself on the stool against GSP in their second fight, didn’t he? And of course there was Amanda Nunes vs Raquel Pennington which absolutely should’ve been stopped between rounds but Pennington’s corner sent her back out to get fucking bludgeoned.

12-C65-A0-C-4640-4616-A52-B-90-DC18-D12-

That was one of the worst for me. Especially as she even explicitly told her corner “I’m done” after one of the rounds, only to be told to “change her mindset” and get back out there. Awful.