UFC 249: Ferguson vs Gaethje - May 9 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Fair enough on the island but was 249 always going to be in America? Wasn’t it looking like Dubai at one point? That’s why Khabib went to Dubai. He’s quoted here saying he was told by the UFC that it was “99%” a lock;

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.mediareferee.com/2020/04/03/ufc-news-i-dont-make-mistake-khabib-nurmagomedov-explains-why-he-went-to-dubai-ahead-of-ufc-249-main-event/amp/

It makes sense. There’d be no other reason for him to randomly fly to Dubai during the final weeks of camp unless he was led to believe the fight was happening there.

The thinking at one point was definitely that it couldn’t happen in the US and they were looking at other options. The Tachi Palace stuff came up very late in the day. I think Khabib might’ve even been ruled out already by that point.

Whatever the case, it’s all a big mess. I’ll be surprised if it goes ahead in May either. 

other places were discussed but the Tachi Palace location was announced (though not by name) the same time he announced Fight Island, i think thats why people got them mixed up.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, David said:

If it's in Florida it will go ahead. This is the same state that determined WWE as "essential business."

I believe Florida has opened the doors for any sports to take place if it can be done safely behind closed doors. The WWE just got in there first.

The press just ran with it and made it out like the WWE was get some kind of priority over everyone else, which i dont think is the case.

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

I believe Florida has opened the doors for any sports to take place if it can be done safely behind closed doors. The WWE just got in there first.

The press just ran with it and made it out like the WWE was get some kind of priority over everyone else, which i dont think is the case.

I think there's more to it than that. A Super-PAC run by linda McMahon made a $18.5 million "donation" to Trump's Florida reelection campaign a day or so after the announcement that WWE was "essential business."

UFC should be able to take advantage of that now, mind you.

53 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

yeh i'd read that, whether its actually true or if it it does have anything to do with the WWE being allowed in is another matter

It would have to be a hell of a coincidence to not be really. It's a case of bribery of the highest order.

Still, it could benefit UFC and get some fights rolling, so every cloud and all that.

Just now, Egg Shen said:

well they've announced the venue and the card. Unless something goes drastically wrong in the next week or so, i think it happens this time.

https://www.ufc.com/news/official-statement-ufc-249-may-9-gaethje-ferguson-ngannou-cejudo

Really intrigued for the Cruz vs Cejudo fight. Overall though that card is an absolute banger, deserves to have a crowd. 

• Paid Members

Dana reckons they’re doing cards on the 13th and 16th as well. So that’s a card on Saturday, Wednesday and Saturday that week. We’ll see. They probably will go ahead but it seems pointless getting excited for these shows now until they’re actually starting and Buffer’s doing his thing in his sparkly jacket.

It feels like I shouldn’t complain but I’m just really not in love with this Ferguson vs Gaethje thing. Ordinarily yeah, I’d be all over that fight. And I get that Khabib’s going to be inactive now anyway because of Ramadan so it’s not like we could’ve had Khabib vs Ferguson on this May 9th card. But I don’t know. It just feels like Justin Gaethje is going to be another thing in the ‘reasons Khabib vs Ferguson never happened’ Wikipedia entry when all’s said and done. Yeah if Ferguson wins it just adds to the momentum for the Khabib fight and hopefully we see it in September or whatever. And usually I’d be picking Ferguson to beat Gaethje. But now the Khabib fight rests on the outcome you just know Gaethje’s going to flatten him. It’s just how it goes.

Helwani has typically found a way to turn the subject to Conor McGregor again. Speculating that this will lead to the Nate Diaz rubber match. I could see that but fucking hell, Ariel needs to find something else to wank over. There’s a whole internet out there and he’s still slapping his tackle over ‘McGregor’s bestest quotes 12’ on YouTube. He’s not gonna shag you Ariel. You’d gladly consent for a start, so he’s not interested. 

Edited by wandshogun09

Just now, wandshogun09 said:

Helwani has typically found a way to turn the subject to Conor McGregor again. Speculating that this will lead to the Nate Diaz rubber match. I could see that but fucking hell, Ariel needs to find something else to wank over. There’s a whole internet out there and he’s still slapping his tackle over ‘McGregor’s bestest quotes 12’ on YouTube. He’s not gonna shag you Ariel. You’d gladly consent for a start, so he’s not interested. 

He's just a whore for clicks these days, which is why he crams McGregor's name into every searchable title he uses. Pretty sad considering he's working for ESPN now and shouldn't really need to rely on that.

Hell of a card though, isn't it? Fucking hell.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Dana reckons they’re doing cards on the 13th and 16th as well. So that’s a card on Saturday, Wednesday and Saturday that week. 

Glover/Smith is headlinging the one, Overeem/Harris the other.