10 years ago today ... THE MONDAY NIGHT WARRRRRRR

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

The best in my book. I wish we still had a transcript of the group chat that night.

I remember having streams of both playing side by side, the historic return of Bret to Raw and TNA going mental debuting everyone.

I was single and only semi-employed back then and could afford the time to do such things at 3am on a Tuesday morning!

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/562588-return-of-the-wars-january-4th-2010-flashback-analyzing-the-aftermath

Edited by garynysmon

This was one of the only times I've ever stayed up and watched wrestling live. Was at uni at the time and watched Raw and Impact side by side on my laptop while my girlfriend slept next to me. 

Vividly remember Homicide failing to climb out of that stupid domed cage thing. 

Chat was buzzing that night. I think just about all of us watched the Bret segment and then switched over immediately to TNA. That's where the UKFF's flagpole was. The writing was already on the wall by the time Hall and Nash came out and done some mumbling, overlong "hey it's not about us anymore!" bit. Then you had Bubba the Love Sponge being a recurring character, the Hulkamania plants in the front row and ditching the six sided ring to open Genesis. I still followed it every week up until Aces & Eights, though.

The chat was still a draw for most big events. The last I remember was WrestleMania XXX. The place was hopping that night, too. I remember being so shocked and in love with wrestling again following the streak ending that I just stayed up watching old matches for the rest of the night. I don't even stay up for WrestleMania now. 

I was one of those few who fucking loved the Hogan era of TNA.  I completely understand why it wasn't right for the modern audience (just for old WCW fans like me) but it felt... big to me.  Sting, Hogan, Nash, Steiner, Angle... great roster.

That night it genuinely felt like the wrestling industry was back to its best.  The ratings came in for TNA and it looked really promising.  So for about a week it was the Attitude era all over again.

1 hour ago, Loki said:

I was one of those few who fucking loved the Hogan era of TNA.  I completely understand why it wasn't right for the modern audience (just for old WCW fans like me) but it felt... big to me.  Sting, Hogan, Nash, Steiner, Angle... great roster.

That night it genuinely felt like the wrestling industry was back to its best.  The ratings came in for TNA and it looked really promising.  So for about a week it was the Attitude era all over again.

I completely agree re the Hogan TNA era, I loved it. I still maintain Hogan ripping the shirt off at Bound For Glory is one of the greatest moments in wrestling this century.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Loki said:

https://youtu.be/lCINhc9cce0

An amazing match, proper The Wrestler stuff, the crowd went absolutely BALLISTIC for that shirt moment.  Was that Hogan's last match?  Pretty much I think.

Hogans last matches were on house shows on a UK tour. His last being in the MEN, Manchester. I was there.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Hogans last matches were on house shows on a UK tour. His last being in the MEN, Manchester. I was there.

Snap. I genuinely marked out like a little girl. I even got a photo with the Hulkster the following year during the meet and greet.

The Hogan Bischoff era in TNA will always hold a special place in my heart. Generally the only thing that piques my interest these days is nostalgia, which is why I quite like the NWA and even AEW's attempt at a WCW Nitro arena last week.

So a product that had, albeit washed up, Hogan, Sting, Flair, the Outsiders etc on every week was pretty bang on for me. It was the end of an era in many ways as each and every one of them are too old by now to even have a passable match on TV and are long since retired for various reasons. 

Edited by garynysmon

2 hours ago, Loki said:

It was the last great era of wrestling in my opinion. Maybe it's just my age, but todays stuff doesn't even come close, and never will.

3 minutes ago, David said:

It was the last great era of wrestling in my opinion. Maybe it's just my age, but todays stuff doesn't even come close, and never will.

100% this. Unless the industry moves away from pleasing the smarks and replaces today's 'stars' with tall roided up god's who aren't performing acrobatic moves every two seconds, we'll never get anything like it again.