Wildlife and stuff

Bus Surfer

• Paid Members

Yep, a proper shit post.

I Found about 5 decently sized earth piles on the grass in the back garden yesterday and 2 more today. At First I thought my neighbour had lobbed it over the fence, but a closer inspection shows a few little burrows in the soil.

I've spent some time Googling and the seems to be loads of hit and miss ways to stop the little buggers wrecking the soil and flower beds. I've seen a few traps, but Id rather do it wiothout murdering, so I've decided to start with some coffee grounds down a few of the holes as a deterrent to see how that goes.

Anyone had a Mole problem? Any tips?

Edited by Silky Kisser

• Paid Members

My grandad was a mole-catcher when I was a kid, because apparently I grew up in a James Herriot book.

Some garden centres will stock non-lethal repellents/deterrents - either devices that let out sound/vibrations to convince them to move elsewhere, or sprays/granules that will let off a smell they can't stand, or enter into the soil and deter them. Otherwise, you can try and construct a bucket trap, though I have no idea how you'd actually begin to do that.

I guess the question is... do you NEED to get rid of them?  Personally I don't mind the little chaps, and they help aerate the soil and help with drainage so I'm happy to let them do their thing.

I'm a super tree huggy sandal wearing type gardener though, so I don't use any chemicals or anything in my garden, which leads to an almighty war with aphids and blackfly every Spring.

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, Loki said:

I guess the question is... do you NEED to get rid of them?  Personally I don't mind the little chaps, and they help aerate the soil and help with drainage so I'm happy to let them do their thing.

I'm a super tree huggy sandal wearing type gardener though, so I don't use any chemicals or anything in my garden, which leads to an almighty war with aphids and blackfly every Spring.

I'm happy to leave them there if they didn't fuck up the flower beds. I've read cats are a good deterrent but ours is such a wimp the mole would probably fill her in, no issue. 

I stuck that birdhouse up last year with a few feeders and we've had a load of various birds here since. A few squirrels too. My favourite thing in the early morning is to just sit and watch them with a coffee. 

2 summers back we had a swarm of bees come and nest in a Bush. Had to get a Bee keeper out. Dude was proper chilled and I ended up smoking a joint with him afterwards. 

The bees

I love a bit of nature - got a little green book to tick off various species of birds I see across the UK.

Finally treated myself to some decent binoculars this year but keep forgetting I have them and so barely use them. 

Few things better than getting my walking boots on and clearing off into the middle of nowhere for a day.