Wimbledon 2019 Discussion Thread

David

Any tennis fans in the house? Wimbledon begins today at 1pm, with world number 1 Novak Djokovic on centre court. 

I don't expect much from the Brits this year to be honest, I think the highest ranked mens competitor we have is #30 Kyle Edmund, while Johanna Konta is ranked #19 in the ladies division, Edmond is beginning his tournament play at 1pm. That can kind of be a good thing in some regards, as it prevents the media from doing what the media always do, which is going overboard. I think it's sometimes easier to enjoy a tournament objectively without the hysteria attached to a half-decent British competitor.

Other notable names up today are ladies #2 Naomi Osaka and Venus Williams (ranked #44).

Anyone planning to watch? 

• Awards Moderator

Slight thread hijack and brag alert! I have no interest in tennis. But my son has started his first proper job today after gaining his chef qualification catering for the member's club at Wimbledon today and I'm super-proud:

That dish is "Poached lobster with a shellfish glaze, potato salad, pea puree, fresh peas, broad beans, chervil and seaweed gravy."

Sorry I couldn't resist. Carry on talking about tennis proper now 🙂

Edited by Onyx2

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

Slight thread hijack and brag alert! I have no interest in tennis. But my son has started his first proper job today after gaining his chef qualification catering for the member's club at Wimbledon today and I'm super-proud:

That dish is "Poached lobster with a shellfish glaze, potato salad, pea puree, fresh peas, broad beans, chervil and seaweed gravy."

At least this answers who the UK faithful can get behind with no Murray in the singles draw. 

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Kyle Edmund and Paul Jubb are local lads flying the flag so will be watchign out for them, obviously. Konta is an interesting one. She's very all or nothing. Her run at the French showed how brilliant she can be with momentum but she just seems a bit fragile at times.

I only really watch for the Girls Singles competition.

In years gone past, I've managed to essentially take the 2 weeks of Wimbledon off and watch the whole thing.  Not managed that this year but I'll probably be skiving off a lot this week anyway.  It's a great 2 weeks of sport.

• Paid Members

I was at Queens a couple of years ago and was getting behind Lopez, he's popular with the British crowd for sure. Plus, he was playing against Cilic who had the most annoying entourage in tow, like he was some sort of rapper.

13 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

Fair fucking play to Cori Gauff. 15 years old and beats Venus Williams in straight sets in her first ever Grand Slam match. Venus had already won Wimbledon twice by the time Gauff was born. Plus she was smashing out 108MPH serves. On her second serve too!

Astounding stuff really. I love it when we get these landmark moments in a tournament.

• Paid Members

Watched the highlights this morning. First time I've heard of Gauff if I'm honest, despite the honours she already has. Physically, she's not 15. She was nearly as big as Venus, very powerful and athletic and talented too. One to keep an eye on.

Probably a bigger story that Osaka went out but lost amongst this story. 6 & 7 went in the mens too, Zverev and Tsitsipas.

• Paid Members

I think both the Gauff and Osaka results are further evidence just how wide open and exciting the modern women's game is. In the 80s and 90s, you usually had the same women picking up the grand slams. And in the 2000s although you had the dominance of the Williams sisters (particularly Serena), so many grand slams have been won by so many different players. It's so competitive, but equally hard to keep up with sometimes! There have been 18 different women's grand slam winners since 2010, compared to 6 different men's winners in the same time. I know that is skewed by the Federer/Nadal/Djokovic axis, but you usually have a handful of players dominating the men's and women's game each generation.