Lio Rush WWE 2020?

5pints

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, The Dart said:

Probably plenty of live entertainment touring events have stuff like that.

And it’s not a sackable offence if you believe what you read, he tried to quit, they said no.  Quite the opposite of sacking him.

Really? I just find it hard to believe that, say, a reputable theatre group would expect one member of the main cast to carry another actors water, bags, and generally just expect them to be their bitch. An understudy? Perhaps, but not a member of the actual cast.

I mean, it's not like he's a rookie, or a "Young Boy", who needs to kiss arse to get a break. He's a fairly recognisable part of a multi-billion dollar entertainment company. They clearly see something in him to put him in that spot so why shouldn't he feel a bit of pride and refuse to demean himself.

I didn't know he'd asked for his release. Still, the fact that it's even listed as a reason that his days "might be numbered" is daft.

10 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

Isn’t it not the same kind of thing as the new guy making the tea for everyone else in an office or sweeping up? I bet working on a building site is similar. 

That's shitty behaviour as well. A trainee, or a school kid on work experience? Aye, okay. I can sort of understand that. Fellow co-worker who just happens to be new? Nope.

1 hour ago, unfitfinlay said:

Really? I just find it hard to believe that, say, a reputable theatre group would expect one member of the main cast to carry another actors water, bags, and generally just expect them to be their bitch. An understudy? Perhaps, but not a member of the actual cast.

Due to the travelling nature of the employment im sure management allow the workers to self govern themselves to a point, not expect them to. Think about why wrestlers court was invented in the first place! Vince would certainly have known about it and as long as it didn't get out of hand he wouldn't have stepped in and stopped it, because it worked.

Lio's issue is that he's taking his title WWE Superstar too literally. He thinks the hard graft can stop.

If Triple H didn't have an issue carrying Shawn Michaels bags and the stories I've read of other NXT stars who were called up to the main roster handing out towels and water to the other wrestlers behind the curtain on tour, why can't Lio.

Drop the ego, listen and learn from others. 

Too bad we never heard anymore of that Triple H fella, I heard he would have had quite the career! Said no-one ever, but will we be saying this about Lio Rush?

26 minutes ago, 5pints said:

If Triple H didn't have an issue carrying Shawn Michaels bags and the stories I've read of other NXT stars who were called up to the main roster handing out towels and water to the other wrestlers behind the curtain on tour, why can't Lio.

Because it has zero relevance to his job.  If I started a new job and after I signed the contract, I was "expected" to carry someones bag to their car for them solely on the basis that they'd worked there longer than I have, I wouldn't do it.  Just because Triple H was a prag once doesn't mean everyone should be.

At a glance it seems sad and ridiculous that wrestlers still behave in this way.

I know some people may lament the lack of characters you get because of it, but one good thing about the wrestling industry over the years, I think, is that the type of person populating locker rooms has generally changed. There are fewer roided-up randos who were handed contracts purely because they met another wrestler at a gym, and lots more full-on nerds who grew up watching wrestling and worked to get a career in the industry from the time they were young. Similarly, with WWE's corporate structure, there are certainly some ways in which the culture has been sanitised somewhat.

Maybe I can understand the idea of this "paying your dues", "wrestler's court" locker room self-regulation back in the day when things were a bit looser and the whole culture of wrestling was more insane, but nowadays it just seems unnecessary. It's bad enough at this point that wrestlers are still scared to unionise and demand proper treatment from WWE. That any of these people would then, on top of all that, foster this dated culture in which they unfairly police and degrade each other further is just mental. I'd have hoped that this new generation of nerd wrestlers would have been a bit wiser collectively and shaken this off. Some real locker room leadership in this situation would be some top guys calling an end to this nonsense rather than enforcing it.

Shit like this makes me laugh, imagine applying wrestling logic to your own life.  Turning the new boy/girl in to a brew bitch for a week isn't the same either, he/she gets a brew himself/herself and if he/she doesn't want to make one nobodys going to shit in his/her bag. 

Edited by Mr_Danger

10 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

If I started a new job and after I signed the contract, I was "expected" to carry someones bag to their car for them solely on the basis that they'd worked there longer than I have, I wouldn't do it.

What if you were a member of the Coventry City youth team though and were assigned to clean Steve Ogrizovic's boots? You gonna say no? You gonna spit in the face of "proper football" etiquette in favour of this new-fangled "I'm not cleaning boots, I'm cleaning out my Ferrari then playing FIFA the rest of the day" bullshit? I always had you pegged as more of a Gary Bannister than a J-Lingz, Keith.

Seriously though, it's just how it is. So long as the majority of people who sign these ridiculous contracts WWE offer are complete marks for the company it'll continue. If this chap doesn't like it he'll eventually make enough enemies and ostracise himself to the extent where he'll get let go. He may go on to make a decent living on the indies, but WWE won't care, as they'll just replace him with the next mark who's bursting into tears because they've got the phone call from the 'E.

Its not really akin to a boot boy cleaning boots or an apprentice carrying tools though is it, both if which i wouldn't insist on anyway . Hes a professional in his field already. By all means pay respects but don't demand it.

2 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Its not really akin to a boot boy cleaning boots or an apprentice carrying tools though is it, both if which i wouldn't insist on anyway . Hes a professional in his field already. By all means pay respects but don't demand it.

It was more a playful Coventry City comparison to what was considered the done thing in a bygone era more than a direct example of the mechanics of it.

The latter part of my post was serious though, the reason WWE gets away with this kind of thing is because their "employees" put up with it, for the most part.

WWE "gets away" with what kind of thing? The issue being discussed is locker room etiquette. It's not Vince McMahon who is asking him to carry the bags. It's the nerds copying what the steroid men did to them ten or twenty years ago, trying to impress Undertaker.

5 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

WWE "gets away" with what kind of thing? The issue being discussed is locker room etiquette. It's not Vince McMahon who is asking him to carry the bags. It's the nerds copying what the steroid men did to them ten or twenty years ago, trying to impress Undertaker.

You don't think Vince could put an end to it if he wanted to? Come on. 

If they can enforce the rules that turn the "steroid men" into just "men" then they could easily put an end to the kind of shite we've seen mentioned in this thread.

Edited by David

Of course he could, and should, but you've not answered my question there. What is it that WWE is "getting away" with? The "employees" who "put up with it" are the ones who do this bullshit when they're bored. Roman Reigns isn't going to gather a mob to knock on Vince's door to demand sacking Roman Reigns for throwing a boisterous cruiserweight off the tour bus. The concept of Evil Bigbad Corporation vs Downtrodden Workers doesn't really apply when it's wrestlers being dickheads to each other.

Edited by King Pitcos

3 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

Of course he could, but you've not answered my question there. What is it that WWE is "getting away" with?

WWE are "getting away" with turning a blind eye to the kind of thing we're talking about. You mention locker room etiquette, which shouldn't simply be decided upon by the guys and girls who work for the company and frequent the locker room in question. It's on the company to manage that etiquette and ensure that no one is being treated badly in the workplace. That's on Vince and the higher-ups with WWE, not the "bored nerds" who work for the company.

Where the contract situation comes into play is that employees who work for WWE should have a clearly defined route in their contract that they can take if they deem themselves victims to workplace bullying. As Keith mentioned, any sane person would tell a fellow employee to piss off if they demanded that they carry their water or bags around, and if the person doing the asking persists with those demands or makes life difficult for the employee who said no there should be a clear path for action to be taken.

14 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

The concept of Evil Bigbad Corporation vs Downtrodden Workers doesn't really apply when it's wrestlers being dickheads to each other.

Of course it does, just in the same way as the concept of evil corporation vs downtrodden workers applies when it's employees being dickheads to each other in other industries. The argument can't, and shouldn't be that Sharon who works in HR has no grounds for complaint when she's sexually harassed by creepy Alan just because she's also bitchy about Cathy who works in payroll.

It's on the company to step in and say that none of it is acceptable. 

Part of the reason that WWE gets away with it, while a company like Lloyds Bank for example wouldn't, is because no one grew up dreaming of working for Lloyds Bank, and they aren't willing to swallow a whole of shite to realise their childhood dream.

WWE, just like the UFC, know they can offer ridiculous contracts that teary-eyed wrestlers who want to make it to the big time will sign. 

Yeah, as much as I'd like the workers to stand up to it at some point, Evil Bigbad Corporation vs Downtrodden Workers very much applies here. WWE has the power and they have set the conditions. By allowing/encouraging this stuff, WWE gets away with shirking its responsibility to its workers and actively fostering an environment in which workers are encouraged to suffer poor treatment at every level to reinforce the precariousness of their position. They want their workers to feel insecure because it gives them more power and less responsibility.