Fatty Facesitter's Snooker Loopy thread

Fatty Facesitter

• Members

What a fantastic final, possibly my favourite ever, and an amazing tournament  

It had everything, Luca starting strong, Mark finding another gear and a 147. It was brilliant, and thoroughly deserved winner. 

Mark Selby has really won me over in this final. I will never be a massive fan of his playing style, but he's really shown another side to his play over the last two days. A lovely bloke, I hope he's really happy with his performance. 

The emotion of the interviews always gets me, and I hope Mark and his wife are OK and get through whatever it is they are facing. 

Also, just want to say, I love snooker, I love the world championship and I love this thread. It's the best sporting thread on here x

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

What a fantastic final, possibly my favourite ever, and an amazing tournament  

It had everything, Luca starting strong, Mark finding another gear and a 147. It was brilliant, and thoroughly deserved winner. 

Mark Selby has really won me over in this final. I will never be a massive fan of his playing style, but he's really shown another side to his play over the last two days. A lovely bloke, I hope he's really happy with his performance. 

The emotion of the interviews always gets me, and I hope Mark and his wife are OK and get through whatever it is they are facing. 

Also, just want to say, I love snooker, I love the world championship and I love this thread. It's the best sporting thread on here x

100% all of this. Great tournament, what an incredible performance from Luca to get over the line when Selby was gradually catching up to him. What a class act Selby is and God speed to him and his family. 

What a pleasure it’s been to converse with you all in this thread for the duration - have loved it dearly. What a mad, brilliant sport it is. 

I hope he manages to actually hold onto the trophy for the rest of the night. It's destined to be the prize in some Fifa mini tournament as a rolled up bank note does the rounds with Ian Van Dahl blasting in the background. 

Steve Davis says "try to play like it means nothing when it means everything" and that certainly applies to Brecel in this tournament. He played with the freedom of someone not caring if they win or lose but seeing him cry as his dad came over to him showed how much it meant. And also made me feel a tad emotional. 

It's been a great tournament. Two 147 breaks, two 146 breaks by the same player within 3 frames, Si playing incredible attacking snooker, Henry Hoover making an appearance and maybe the most crazy thing to happen was that I quite liked the commentary duo of Kyren Wilson and Shaun Murphy.

It many ways this season has felt like a new era beginning. It's not just O'Sullivan, Selby, Trump and Robertson winning tournaments and while they're all incredible players I'm happy to see others rising up the ranks and making things more interesting.

• Paid Members

Delighted for Luca and delighted for the sport after a bruising year with all the suspensions, issues with sponsorship and lack of tournaments. Next season with a new world champion and the likes of Si and Handsome Hoss coming through, plus the Chinese tournaments coming back. I have high hopes.

Selby is one class act. Passes the pint test with flying colours. He's the perfect foil to have about battling against these attacking youngsters for a few years.

Then again, it's snooker. Decent chance have Fergal O'brien winning tournaments out of nowhere or similar. What a great sport.

On 4/30/2023 at 10:39 PM, Tommy! said:

I'm sure that's great chief, but Keith provided what I was after an hour and half before you.

When you consider it's a sport where participants are obliged to wear a tie and a waistcoat, I'm amazed you felt the need to ask in the first place.

• Members

More Ronnie-ness as he continues promoting his book. I hope he pops up on Eurovision next.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/may/13/ronnie-osullivan-i-could-have-been-the-ultimate-player-when-i-was-14-i-was-perfect

Don't know why, but this is unintentionally hilarious.

If you could bring something extinct back to life, what would you choose?
Muhammad Ali.

Edited by SuperBacon

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Snooker match-fixing scandal: Liang Wenbo and Li Hang handed lifetime bans - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/65641122

Are these in line with what others have had in the past @Fatty Facesitter

Reading this it looks like the two worst offenders refused to cooperate and got the worse punishment. Everyone else held their hands up and got reduced sentences and costs. I'm sure Liang Wenbo and Li Hang will appeal but we'll have to see. 

I'm guessing trying to get other players to match fix is the reason for those two getting life time bans. Deservedly so as well. I use to really like Wenbo but he sounds like a terrible person. 

Not to sound harsh towards the others but I think most of us are most disappointed and interested in Bingtao and Xintong. Xintong can play from the 1st of September 2024 which isn't so bad. He'll be 27 and hopefully can put it behind and make the most of his second chance.

Bingtao is suspended until the 11th of December 2027. I think I'm most disappointed with Bingtao. I miss seeing him in tournaments, he had a great future ahead of him and I thought he would be the first Chinese world champion. He's only 23 which is crazy as it feels like he's been around for longer than he has. He'll only be 27 in 2027 but coming back after over 5 years away will be difficult.

• Paid Members

Likewise @Pork Pie gutted about Yan, though it's hardly surprising when he seemed to be deepest in the clag after Lian Wenbo from the initial reports. One of my favourites because of his style which is so much more safety orientated than most of the good youngsters.

A day that will live in snooker infamy.