The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members

Has Blaydes been fucked over to this point? he's had a couple of good runs and unfortunately ran into Francis Ngannou on both occasions and now sits behind him in the pecking order.

Curtis is in an crap position because he's clearly number 2 or 3 in the division but he cant leapfrog Francis, and if Jones comes up he's automatically gonna take position above him, Curtis' lack of marketability and fanfare harms his case further when there's more lucrative options. Thats just the truth of it.

Curtis just has to keep winning and hope that the guys above him get hurt, or hope a champ like Stipe specifically calls for him, which is highly unlikely to happen because Curtis is a high risk/low reward title fight. The way things look, Blaydes might not get a shot until 2022 or beyond.

Edited by Egg Shen

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

There's being a cock-end and there's being a promoter.

There’s being a sport and being a form of entertainment. White bangs on about MMA being seen as a legitimate sport, which it is, but to be a legitimate sport you don’t pander to what is entertaining. 
Not that I’m knocking him as a promoter, he is top drawer in that regard. 

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Has Blaydes been fucked over to this point? he's had a couple of good runs and unfortunately ran into Francis Ngannou on both occasions and now sits behind him in the pecking order.

Curtis is in an crap position because he's clearly number 2 or 3 in the division but he cant leapfrog Francis, and if Jones comes up he's automatically gonna take position above him, Curtis' lack of marketability and fanfare harms his case further when there's more lucrative options. Thats just the truth of it.

Curtis just has to keep winning and hope that the guys above him get hurt, or hope a champ like Stipe specifically calls for him, which is highly unlikely to happen because Curtis is a high risk/low reward title fight. The way things look, Blaydes might not get a shot until 2022 or beyond.

In fairness, there is a strong argument that Blaydes has been fucked over by bad luck, and I fully recognise that. But with the precedent that White has set in past, not only how he's treated Fitch and other fighters materially, but also how he's thrown many of them under the bus in press conferences and statements, I'm also fairly certain, given what he's said about Blaydes, that he'll probably fuck him over too, and is in the process of fucking him over.

• Paid Members

oh i dont doubt for one second that White and a whole load of other people are hoping that Derrick Lewis' chins Curtis Blaydes when they fight.

Besides style, it wont help Curtis one bit that he's called for unionisation and complained about money. He's right to do so, but you know that isnt gonna help your cause fighting in the UFC. Blaydes contract likely wont be renewed when it expires.

Irwin Rivera has been charged with murdering two women:

Ultimate Fighting Championship bantamweight Irwin Rivera has been booked and charged with two counts of first-degree murder in Florida.

The news first broke from MyMMANews on Thursday, with the outlet reporting Rivera was brought in after allegedly stabbing his sisters. Per the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office, Rivera was booked on Thursday morning and has been charged with two counts of Homicide – Murder, First Degree Premeditated. He is being held without bond. According to the 2020 Florida Statutes, “the unlawful killing of a human being…when perpetrated from a premeditated design to effect the death of the person killed or any human being” is punishable by either death or life imprisonment without the possibility of parole.

In a statement from the UFC made to MMA Fighting on Thursday, the promotion noted it had been informed of this news, writing, “UFC is aware of the recent incident involving Irwin Rivera and subsequently received information from his management that he has been exhibiting behavior consistent with mental health issues. The allegations are extremely troubling and the organization is currently gathering additional information. The investigation is ongoing and any potential next steps including disciplinary action or medical attention will be determined upon the conclusion. Furthermore, UFC has informed Rivera’s management that he will not be offered a bout at this time.”

Rivera competed in the UFC three times throughout 2020, winning a split decision over Ali AlQaisi but dropping judges’ verdicts to Giga Chikadze and Andre Ewell. “The Beast” made his way to the UFC by scoring three knockouts in a row with Titan Fighting Championships, earning him a short-notice opportunity in May. Rivera worked his way up to that place by taking fights with Legacy Fighting Championship and Combate Americas, although he lost more times than he won with those two organizations.

• Paid Members

That Irwin Rivera story is crazy. Hopefully his sisters pull through OK.

Few places reporting that Shogun’s retired.

For the best if it’s true. It’s a bit sad that my last memory of him will be of him trying to finger Paul Craig’s arse then getting battered for his efforts and tapping to strikes. But it was a hell of a career and, although he probably could’ve carried on and still won more than he lost at a certain level, it was all diminishing returns from here on in. And has been for a few years anyway. Might have to go on a Shogun fight binge soon. 

Fucking over the moon for the first 2 show's start time. I will absolutely be watching live however like i said a couple of weeks ago I won't be paying £20 for the Conor vs Dustin show as i won't be watching it live I would be watching it when i wake up so it doesn't really make sense to pay for something and not watch it live

4 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Sweet news about that Magny vs Chiesa show especially. That would’ve been a bit of a ballache being on a Wednesday with avoiding spoilers at work etc. I finish work at 2pm so a 3pm prelim start time is perfect for me. 

Yeah man i couldn't agree more with this 3PM start time for a tasty little Wednesday show is always a nice treat. However this just bums me out even more to think it was originally the Edwards vs Khamzat show but such is life

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Kfogg1991 said:

However this just bums me out even more to think it was originally the Edwards vs Khamzat show but such is life

Shit man. Cheers for spinning my positive into a negative! Now all I’ll be thinking on that Wednesday is what we could’ve watched. 

51FA1647-526F-42C8-89A4-4DA1975298D8.png

I was listening to Ludovico Einaudi on Spotify and thinking about that amazing promo for UFC 193 with his song Experience on it. It's one of the best promos I've ever seen. It doesn't feel cheesy or even like a wrestling hype video. I was fully on-board the Rousey train. Her run around that time was just really fun to watch. I'd only started watching UFC in 2013 when we got BT Sports, so that run coincided with me becoming absolutely obsessed with MMA. 

But yeah, that promo for Rousey Vs Holm. Incredible. I just rewatched it again. I wonder why they've not done anything else like that? There was the promo for Aldo/McGregor but then nothing else really. Is it just hard work getting fighters to film those sort of things? Did Herb Dean complain about them using his stunt double for it? Who knows. It was a hell of a way to sell a fight though.