The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

This is where the rumour originates from - https://twitter.com/TalkMMA/with_replies

I get what the UFC are trying to do. McGregor vs Aldo 2 would do big numbers, and a win for McGregor would set up nicely for another crack at the lightweight kingpin (presumably Khabib). However, it's a risky fight for Conor. I think he's the favourite, but not by a massive margin. 

If the UFC could book it and then squeeze in Khabib vs Ferguson for December, I would be a happy man. 

Aldo vs McGregor would be a great fight. It would provide Aldo with the chance to rectify that loss he's had to carry around with him for years now, and would also provide McG with the chance to show "he's back" and ready to take on the top of the division again.

Count me in.

If McG is looking to keep fighting for another few years there's really no reason for him to go after titles, especially if they're around the waist of guys who are all wrong stylistically for him. He could easily spend the next few years fighting in bouts that will attract fans and that he has a real chance of winning. 

Basically, he should look to fight exciting stand up fighters. He doesn't need to fight Khabib again. Give me McG vs Aldo, Pettis, Diaz III, even a rematch with Poirier.

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, David said:

Basically, he should look to fight exciting stand up fighters. He doesn't need to fight Khabib again. Give me McG vs Aldo, Pettis, Diaz III, even a rematch with Poirier.

Yep. And you can add Cerrone and Gaethje to that list as well. As a viewer, these fights interest me way more than the Khabib rematch that I know he’s got basically zero chance of winning. 

The Aldo rematch makes sense for everyone involved. As mad as that 13 seconds was the first time, I was always a bit disappointed we never got to see an actual fight after a solid 12 months of incredible hype. It’s not quite the same now and they’re both in different places in their careers but it would be cool to see Aldo and McGregor fight for longer than a gif lasts.

I think it makes sense in terms of McGregor being paired up with someone that works well with him stylistically (aka anyone except Khabib really), and that whilst Aldo is by no means an easy fight for him, he's not got the same mystique and aura that he did coming into the 194 fight. Good as he still is, he's lost 3 of his last 5 and was stopped in twice of those (obviously not a discredit to Aldo - Holloway is probably the best Featherweight ever, but the majority of casual dickheads that McGregor's fights appeal to won't be arsed about that) - and has also talked at length about retiring in the near future (again, I know he signed that extension prior to the Volkanovski fight but we'll see how much that means in the grand scheme of things).

I think it's an odd one in regards to McGregor actually taking it. Their last fight ended in 13 seconds. With the first punch he landed. I know he's like nobody else in terms of promotional hype but what's the angle for the rematch? What's the spin on it? How are they going to market it? "Let's see if he can knock him out in under 10 seconds"? When their first fight went down, and the rematch conversation came up in the immediate aftermath, I never really thought it would come to fruition. Conor did absolutely everything he said. Showed up, knocks him out in 13 seconds and leaves with a belt. My logic from there on out was that if it didn't make sense to Conor personally, it wasn't going to happen, regardless of how much the company might've pushed for it - and that was a fight where it didn't make much sense to go back to from a McGregor standpoint. How can he improve on what was essentially the perfect performance?

It's an odd one. If the roles were reversed, and it was Conor who got sparked the first time around, then I'd get it. And his fans would get behind it as well. We wouldn't be hearing the end of "it was a lucky punch!". I can't see the same support being cranked up for Aldo.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it. Like Wand says, a proper fight between the two at 194 would've been excellent, and even now I think it'd be a great showcase - I'm just doubtful that it comes to fruition.

This is one of the very few times and examples where a top fighter dosent need a belt in order to show and prove they are the best or the top guy. 

Connor doesn't need the title any time soon. He has a few big deal fights he can have that will not only draw huge numbers and ppv buys but also get some huge positive bits of press for mcgregor after all the recent shit at his door 

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Kfogg1991 said:

This is one of the very few times and examples where a top fighter dosent need a belt in order to show and prove they are the best or the top guy. 

Even if he knocks Aldo out in 3 seconds, it won’t prove he’s the best or the top guy. He tapped to the best and the top guy back in October. He’s never beating Khabib. His chances are a little bit better against Ferguson but I don’t think he beats him either. A rematch with 155lb Poirier might go differently. I wouldn’t be surprised (motherfucker) if Diaz went 2-1 in their trilogy if they fight a third time. Gaethje is a good fight for McGregor but I wouldn’t rule out Gaethje bombing him either. I’d favour him over Cerrone, Pettis and maybe Holloway at 155 but they’re far from gimmes. 

Basically, another win over Aldo would be a great way to return but it won’t tell us much of anything about where he stands among the best 155ers. 

In reality he isn't close to being the top 155lbs fighter. He's probably not even top three, but there's fuck all wrong with that. Not everyone can the best.

What he can do is provide some quality fights and entertainment, all while making himself more dough. He doesn't need the belt, he's had the belt. 

5 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Even if he knocks Aldo out in 3 seconds, it won’t prove he’s the best or the top guy. He tapped to the best and the top guy back in October. He’s never beating Khabib. His chances are a little bit better against Ferguson but I don’t think he beats him either. A rematch with 155lb Poirier might go differently. I wouldn’t be surprised (motherfucker) if Diaz went 2-1 in their trilogy if they fight a third time. Gaethje is a good fight for McGregor but I wouldn’t rule out Gaethje bombing him either. I’d favour him over Cerrone, Pettis and maybe Holloway at 155 but they’re far from gimmes. 

Basically, another win over Aldo would be a great way to return but it won’t tell us much of anything about where he stands among the best 155ers. 

I couldn't agree more I can't see how mcgregor can beat Khabib so he needs to shut up about wanting that rematch 

• Paid Members

Absolutely, two really intriguing fights right there. My early thoughts are that Weidman drowns Reyes in a lopsided decision, Zabit Vs Kattar though I think will be a lot closer. I'm having a hard time picking that one. I think Zabit might just have more tricks in his locker, and could edge a split decision, but Kattar being on home turf will give him a boost I would have thought with that Boston crowd behind him. 

• Paid Members

Frankie Edgar is dropping to 135. He’s confirmed it himself on Instagram. 

Not a massive shock, he’s well out of the race at 145 and too small for the current top 155ers. Tough ask in his late 30s but I’d love to see him win one last title before it’s all over. Can’t see it now but he’s an instant boost to 135 and this opens up fresh matchups with Cejudo, Cruz, Garbrandt, Munhoz, Yan etc. He most likely won’t fight Marlon Moraes though, sadly, as they’re buddies and train together. 

He wants on the MSG card apparently. That card is starting to shape up nicely. 

• Paid Members

It'll be interesting to see how that works out for Frankie. Odd as it is, I don't think he will have much, if any, size advantage at the weight. As well as that, while he is still pretty damn fast, he won't be quicker than a lot of the division. However he won't be giving up size, will probably be competitive for speed, and that might be all the edge Frankie needs in order to be a champ at that weight. 

I still think he can beat a lot of the 145 division. He's hard as fucking nails, a great wrestler and still has excellent boxing skills for an MMA fighter. Combined with an iron will, and that'll get him 90% of the way there. There's just nothing left for him at 45. 

If he can handle the weight cut at 37 years old, can avoid injury enough to put a regular run together before he gets much older, then Edgar could have 2-3 good years and maybe 6 fights at a high level in that time frame before I'd guess he would probably slow down. If I think he could have roughly that amount of time left at or close to his current ability, then I'm not betting against Frankie winning at title at 135.