Has WWE run out of ideas

Hardy

Being a lifelong wrestling fan I am really disappointed with the WWE writers as the story has been the same for 4 big matches recently at the Royal Rumble a injured Seth Rollins wins the men's royal rumble then the ladies rumble is won by a injured Becky Lynch at worlds collide a injured velveteen dream wins followed by Raw this week where a injured Baley and Sasha Banks win they need some new ideas no wonder companies like AEW are popping up

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, Hardy said:

Being a lifelong wrestling fan I am really disappointed with the WWE writers as the story has been the same for 4 big matches recently at the Royal Rumble a injured Seth Rollins wins the men's royal rumble then the ladies rumble is won by a injured Becky Lynch at worlds collide a injured velveteen dream wins followed by Raw this week where a injured Baley and Sasha Banks win they need some new ideas no wonder companies like AEW are popping up

AngryFeminineAmphibian-max-1mb.gif.7324f9a3de802e1cbddbab4f52b00f18.gif

• Paid Members

I think it's a huge push to say WWE have ran out of ideas when you've got Daniel Bryan and Becky Lynch heavily featured on weekly television.

Between the preachy, militant environmentalist wearing a fucking hemp championship belt and the hyper-empowered woman who's had enough of all the bullshit and has decided to just punch people in the face and troll them mercilessly online, not only are these both new ideas but they're some of the most contemporary, relvant ideas that they've had in some time. 

The real problem lies in how obvious it is that both Daniel and Becky themselves are behind these creations. It's blindingly clear that they're both normal, intelligent, witty people who live and function in the real world, so not only know about growing trends like veganism and movements like #MeToo and #TimesUp, but also how to best incorporate them into the pro-wrestling framework. 

Almost everyone else on the roster is unfortunately written by the same backwards, snide, closeted weirdoes who live completely in the bubble and couldn't write a relevant character if their lives depended on it, nevermind a likeable relevant character. Look at Elias, for example. That should be the easiest character in the world to write, either as a goody or a baddie, with so much material to draw from. Either classic muscian tropes, references to what's happening in the current music scene or even callbacks to cult stuff like Spinal Tap. You could have a ball coming up with weekly stuff for him to do. And yet, because they're a bunch of oddballs who still spend all day every day headbanging to Nu Metal with Vince on the jet, they've got no inspiration beyond flip flopping Elias between babyface and heel, forever sending him out there to get interrupted yet again, rinse and repeat until the end of time. Imagine the most interesting thing you could come up with for the Elias character is sending Road Dogg out to sing, "With my Baby Tonight." Fucking hell.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Watch something else then.

What a novel ideal!

It genuinely amazes me the amount of people who watch this shit every fucking week despite seemingly not enjoying a single second of it. I watch pretty much every bit of WWE programming I can and I probably enjoy around 80% of it. If there is an act, segment or match I find myself disliking, I fast-forward. No harm done.

The amount of people who are in that fucking Raw thread every Tuesday morning by 10am moaning, like they've been woke up at 7 and tied to a chair with some Clockwork Orange set-up and made to eat Vinces shit for 3 hours. Just take a break from it and turn the fucking telly off, jesus.

• Paid Members

It's a valid point that they overuse the same tropes, though. I think all but one Travis Banks match I've seen under the WWE umbrella has seen him have to work through a knee injury sustained before the match.

What's most jarring is how often it happens on a single show, or how often WWE contradict themselves within one show. Why did Becky need to get clearance from Finlay to be allowed to enter the Rumble, while Nia Jax could just waltz right in? Countless WWE shows feature the same spots in multiple matches, which is the sort of thing you'd never have got from Vince in the '80s or '90s - as much as people point to him micro-managing everything as the source of all of WWE's problems, I honestly think that at the moment they're lacking that level of oversight. Nothing feels like it adds up any more, because it doesn't feel like there's anyone at the top making that kind of decision.

10 hours ago, BomberPat said:

It's a valid point that they overuse the same tropes, though. I think all but one Travis Banks match I've seen under the WWE umbrella has seen him have to work through a knee injury sustained before the match.

What's most jarring is how often it happens on a single show, or how often WWE contradict themselves within one show. Why did Becky need to get clearance from Finlay to be allowed to enter the Rumble, while Nia Jax could just waltz right in? Countless WWE shows feature the same spots in multiple matches, which is the sort of thing you'd never have got from Vince in the '80s or '90s - as much as people point to him micro-managing everything as the source of all of WWE's problems, I honestly think that at the moment they're lacking that level of oversight. Nothing feels like it adds up any more, because it doesn't feel like there's anyone at the top making that kind of decision.

Totally agree. It feels like there's different people writing each different storyline/segment with no communication with each other. Survivor Series is a good example, Raw won 6-0 apparently despite Smackdown winning the tag-team match on the pre-show... but because that wasn't supposed to happen they had to ignore it completely which just looked stupid. 

Given it's a product where they can literally make up their own rules to a certain extent it's amazing how much contradiction there is even within a single show and surely it's either poor writing or they think fans won't notice or care. I still enjoy WWE mostly, it's just frustrating when things don't make sense.

I don't remember stating AEW won't repeat a single idea David try reading things before commenting first my point being within 1 month they have had the same type of finish for 4 big matches i.e wrestler gets injured and win's the match

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

I'm sure you're right and AEW won't repeat a single idea that any other wrestling company has ever had. I'm looking forward to a completely unique and original show.

I hear they're using a 12 sided ring.

Archived