Let's all laugh at the Oscars: 2019 Edition

ColinBollocks

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I loved Bohemian Rhapsody, I don't care if it was "the best film of the year" but it was certainly my favourite. It was definitely cheesy though and I thought that the aforementioned reference was equally cringe and great at the same time, the whole film was a bit too on the nose like that though but I thought it worked well for the way they chose to show the story.

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

If they’d nominated one of the (at least) three songs from Poppins that’s better than that one, I’d agree. ‘A Cover Is Not The Book’ was robbed!

It was a strange choice of the ones to go for and can see the entire thing being a strong contender for best original score.

For those that care; I've already laid my picks out on the table for the Oscars:

Best Film - Green Book
Actor - Rami Malek (Bohemian Rhapsody)
Actress - Olivia Coleman (The Favourite)
Supporting Actor - Richard E. Grant (Can You Ever Forgive Me?)
Supporting Actress - Amy Adams (Vice)
Director - Spike Lee (BlacKkKlansman)
Animated - Ralph Breaks The Internet
Documentary - RBG
Original Song - Shallow

Will perhaps go into some detail on choices (again talking about films and TV is the only use I've really got from my degree so far) if I can find time in between doing the night shift at work and building a bed tomorrow so I can sleep.

Actress - Olivia Coleman (The Favourite)

There is no way Glen Close isn't winning it this year. Its been trumpeted as 'her year' all the way back. She'll get the Pacino/Oldman nod of someone who should have won it years ago so give it to her now, even though she isn't the best that year. 

• Paid Members

I think her winning the Globe has opened the book up. If she does win, she was great but as you've mentioned its very much for that reason over other nominees. I thought Coleman was brilliant and you know the academy loves period dramas so she could be in with a very good chance.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Factotum said:

even though she isn't the best that year. 

She bloody is, though. Coleman is fantastic in a fantastic film, of course, but Close elevates The Wife by putting on a masterclass. For the most part, Close does her best work by seemingly doing as little as possible, but she completely sells the story of her character with several looks which are fragile with a heavy veneer of stoicism, turning it up until you're willing her to have her moment and explode. You always hear and read about actors going on about "technique" and, for the most part, it sounds overblown and wanky considering it's some toss like Jared Leto going on about it, but Close's performance is prime Andrea Pirlo with the ball at his feet.

Agree to disagree. I'm in no way saying she wasn't excellent, but I think Coleman's performance was better. It has so many shades to it both tragic and comic at the same time. I will retract slightly what I said though. Close's performance, if she wins, is a lot better than those I mentioned who got it when not deserving it. The worst example of that for me was Jeff Bridges winning it for that film nobody has ever seen. I love Jeff Bridges, but for that film?!

2 minutes ago, Factotum said:

The worst example of that for me was Jeff Bridges winning it for that film nobody has ever seen

The amount of people who may or may not have seen a film has no bearing on the performance of the actor in said film.

• Awards Moderator
57 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Agree to disagree. I'm in no way saying she wasn't excellent, but I think Coleman's performance was better. It has so many shades to it both tragic and comic at the same time. I will retract slightly what I said though. Close's performance, if she wins, is a lot better than those I mentioned who got it when not deserving it. The worst example of that for me was Jeff Bridges winning it for that film nobody has ever seen. I love Jeff Bridges, but for that film?!

Hey, now. I saw Crazy Heart and he was bloody good in it. Great soundtrack album too.

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, Factotum said:

True that. But to win an Oscar for that film specifically was more of a 'Jeff Deserves one' then based on his performance in it.

Because the Oscars are stupid.

• Moderators

Tim Heidecker and Gregg Turkington have done a fundraiser for the only good thing about the Oscars, the On Cinema At the Cinema Oscer (sic) special.

Needs more popcorn classics. Still great though. "Hey Guys!"

Archived