It's Political Correctness Gone Mad!

Devon Malcolm

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Yeah, can't understand why anyone would have an issue with drugging a drink to stop a woman going home and coercing her into sex.  It's Ched Evans's ringtone.

Reminds me of that Key & Peele sketch. Unfortunately, the good quality original has been taken down and there's only this shit filmed-screen version:

It isn’t about drugging someone’s drink, that was just a common joke at the time similar to how people say YOLO now. The drink would probably not have any alcohol in it, but people would joke about it to lower their own accountability.

The song is basically bout a woman doing what she wants despite society trying to surpress he independence/sexuality. It was actually a forward thinking song for it’s time. It ain’t aged well because society has changed a lot since then, but it definitely isn’t a rape song.

If I had a rape anthem I’d probably go with his

2 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

It isn’t about drugging someone’s drink, that was just a common joke at the time similar to how people say YOLO now. The drink would probably not have any alcohol in it, but people would joke about it to lower their own accountability.

The song is basically bout a woman doing what she wants despite society trying to surpress he independence/sexuality. It was actually a forward thinking song for it’s time. It ain’t aged well because society has changed a lot since then, but it definitely isn’t a raped song.

Nah, this is revisionist bollocks.  I've heard this trotted out this year and it is using todays standards to revisit a time where these standards weren't in place.  It is essentially not a date rape song, but a coercion into consent scenario.

9 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Apparently, people are starting to target the Pogues now as well. 

That's been going on for years, it also highlights that the problematic word is faggot but "You're an old slut on junk" is perfectly fine.  Saw a great suggestion on Twitter that in keeping with the time of the release of the song, the line should be updated to "You scumbag, you maggot, you taped over Taggart".

• Paid Members
47 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Apparently, people are starting to target the Pogues now as well. 

35 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

That's been going on for years, it also highlights that the problematic word is faggot but "You're an old slut on junk" is perfectly fine.  Saw a great suggestion on Twitter that in keeping with the time of the release of the song, the line should be updated to "You scumbag, you maggot, you taped over Taggart".

@Chris B posted something about that on Twitter. Very good points.

Seen some nonsense about Fairytale of New York, and some people online saying "actually, if you do your research, 'faggot' meant lazy in Irish slang, so it doesn't even mean that, snowflakes".

As someone who got called names at least once or twice in the 90s at an Irish school, 'faggot' did not mean 'lazy'. And the Pogues were British-Irish, gigging in London in the 80s. In Fairytale of New York, the idea that 'faggot' wasn't abusive is a transparent attempt to rewrite history.

For the record, I think the context of two drunks who love/hate each other hurling abuse to each other is important context, and I love the song. In the context of the song, time and narrative, she's insulting his masculinity. And he's insulting her virtue. The meaning is clear. Have the argument, by all means, but Christ, let's not pretend it doesn't mean what it means.

They're both being absolutely vile to each other and they're using awful words to do it. And, as the song has aged, the terms have more impact. It means it shouldn't be treated lightly as an issue. And I say that, loving the song.

It's a challenging, awkward, angry, sad and human song. It's about regret and love and lashing out. It's not easy. Intentionally. Pretending that MacGowan didn't know the meanings of the words, and that the vileness of them was unintentional, is to belittle the achievement of the song and the writer.

I personally don't see any issues with playing it, but I won't pretend I can't understand those who do have issues with it. However, the "if you do the research, it doesn't mean that, snowflakes!" line of argument is transparent, disingenuous bullshit.

Looking forward to next year's trolls trying to suggest that when he calls her 'an old slut on junk', he's merely suggesting she's not keeping up with the housework.

Archived