Architecture!

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

What are your favourite buildings and constructions, or perhaps even your favourite styles?

I was reminded of this on Twitter this afternoon, just look at this gorgeous thing. Maybe I'll put going on this on my lottery bucket list.

Can't find a better picture of it than this, or one at night when it looks especially amazing, but I love the Night & Day Cafe in Manchester.

d6accae0ebc7a287ccb00c9d8fc63deb9a5ca18e

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think my architectural appreciation began after moving out of a city that had 50% of it's great buildings knocked down by the luftwaffe and 50% by the council.  John Rylands Library in Manchester is spectacular.  As for the new buildings, URBIS is great, even if now it is the National Football Museum.  Here is a pic I took of it 

IMG_0479

As always, when it comes to architecture, Johnathan Meades is the daddy.  Dev, if you haven't seen it, I think you'll love his 3 parter on provisional Scottish Football grounds. Honestly, it's incredible.  He is one of the few great intellects left in broadcasting.  I love him.  Here is a youtube page with most of his stuff on there.

https://www.youtube.com/user/MeadesShrine/videos

• Paid Members

I love John Rylands Library, some incredible pictures of it knocking around.

john-rylands-library_2__540221009.jpg&ac

Thanks for the link, Keith, I'll add that to my subscriptions, I love watching stuff like that when I'm busy in the evening.

• Awards Moderator

I went to the Rylands library last time I was in Manchester - gorgeous building.

The architecture I admire most tends to be the older stuff - castles and cathedrals. The amount of work and skill that went into building somewhere like the Duomo in Florence or Kenilworth Castle or anything of that scale is beyond my imagining - but they did it. Incredible human achievements.

Least favourite is brutalism. I know it’s supposed to be ugly but I can’t stand those buildings - hideous.

• Paid Members

Do any of that Londoners know if this is still at Churchill Gardens? Love this.

e0160174-0b21-4e88-8fe1-5d1239939642-206

Also, not brutalist (although it does have one or two elements), but the Hollings Campus building, or the Toast Rack as everyone calls it in Manchester, is one that I slightly love too.

EHR_MEN_150415MARR_04.jpg

• Paid Members

It hasn't been active in a while, but Brutalist Stilgoe is an excellent twitter account. 

I've never been the same since the knocked down the Tricorn Centre in Portsmouth. 

I live about 3 minutes away from this, which I love dearly. It's nicknamed the threepenny bit building, or more recently the 50p building. 

IMGP10901-280x380.jpg

I'll eventually come back to this thread with hopefully a more detailed post on Twin Towers, I was absolutely fascinated by them and other skyscraper/high rises when I was younger. For now though I just wanted to post this beauty:

37498016121_25a55a502b_b.jpg

Spotted it last night whilst searching through the Manchester City Council Photo Archives.(Links to their Flickr page.) The picture was dated 28/7/64 and this building is long gone now, if you stood in the same position today, you'd be staring at the entrance to Aldi on Market Street, Manchester city centre. Ignoring the ground floor shop fronts, I love its symmetry, the brickwork and my idea with the right dressing, it would make a fine snooker hall/parlour.

• Paid Members

Ugh some absolutely hideous things in this thread. I'm far more of a traditionalist. Some favourites:

teatro-en-el-castillo-de-la-atalaya-de-v

Castillo de la Antalaya, Alicante province, Spain.

segovia-aqueduct-P.jpeg

Aqueduct of Segovia, Segovia, Spain - getting close to 2000 years old! 

1200px-Palermo_BW_2012-10-09_12-04-52.jp

Palermo Cathedral, Palermo, Italyfotos-trujillo-plaza-mayor-003.jpg Italy.

The entire Plaza Mayor of Trujillo, Extramedura, Spain, one of the most idyllic locations in the world.  Went a bit Spain-centric there but god, I love that country. 

Archived