Architecture!

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

If you like that style, Dev, you'd probably like Franschhoek in Cape Town - it was a originally a French Huguenot town (hence the name, "French Corner" in Afrikaans), and it's now one of the most expensive neighbourhoods in South Africa. Apparently occupies the "Park Lane" spot on the SA version of Monopoly. It's very picturesque, with beautiful old-style colonial buildings.

(TRIVIA TIME: The most expensive neighbourhood in South Africa is Cliftonville in Cape Town - it's the SA equivalent of Sandbanks, where most of SA's rich people live, including the infamous Tokyo Sexwale, who was SA's first black millionaire.)

23_a_Franschoek.jpg

establishments682x512_25602455_villas-fr

Mecklenburgischer-Baderbahn,-Bad-Doberan199461-Franschhoek-Town-Hall.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

@Gus Mears, you haven't mentioned Salisbury Cathedral yet. Well known not just across Europe, but probably around the whole world. It's known for its 123m-tall spire. It's known for its clock, the first clock to ever be invented in the world, which is still working.

A couple of Russian fellas told me those facts. They loved it so much they visited twice earlier this year. They must've really liked it to fly all the way here from Russia just to see it.

• Paid Members
On 9/9/2018 at 5:54 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

Ponte City Apartments in Johannesburg. It's appeared in a couple of films, love this view of it.

5500.jpg?width=1010&quality=85&auto=form

Is this state housing? It looks so much like a panopticon that it has to be. Assuming the central hub bit is where entry/security was or is? I should read about this.

Seen some stunning architecture in the last couple of weeks that I'll have to post about when I get back and go through my pictures.

• Paid Members

When it was first built it was one of the prestige locations to live in Jo'burg, but it started going down the pan quickly and it's been dominated by gangs ever since. I think they were going to knock it down and rebuild it for the World Cup but couldn't find the cash.

There was a pretty good film made a few years ago called Gangster's Paradise: Jerusalema based on its takeover by gangs and other surrounding blocks.

• 1 month later...

A few from my side of the world, i've got a real thing for both Colonial and Communist era architecutre, anything that looks like it was made in a hurry by the soviets especially.

Da Lat Railway Station is a fantastic Colonial Train station in the mountains

300px-Da_Lat_train_station_12.jpg

Or this old mansion in Saigon

lRjvfrWb.jpg

and things like this that look utterly communist

Dau-Tieng-Lake-2.jpg

or this

EWer1CQ.jpg

Then you have the older Vietnamese style housing

Cho-Lon-Chinatown-in-HCMC.jpg

Archived