Chippy Tea

Onyx2

• Paid Members

I had chips and gravy today from Wright's in Manchester but fogot to take a picture because I was starving. Their gravy has improved, a splendid lunch.

In other news, my still singed local shows no sign of reopening as the insurance claim hasn't been settled yet. But apparently the owner is still paying his employees, which is absolutely class.

• Paid Members

OLD AGE IN-LAWS CHIPPY TOUR 2024, pt 3

So, Friday was the only full day in the county of Devon. Staying in Paignton with a ferry trip planned from Brixham to Torquay, I rated the chances highly we’d get fed by Rockfish or Saltwater. Having parked in Brixham, Mrs raid decided we’d stop at Rockfish on the way back to the car at the end of day. We passed Pier Point in Torquay and noticing a “Top 10” notice from this years national awards, a quick Google told me they came 2nd in the country. My hints didn’t work, and we still went to the Rockfish. Something to go back for, obviously. Having read online the “seasonal special” of haddock and chips was well priced at £11.95, we got two having considered the fluctuating “market fish” which on the day were tastes we either didn’t know or don’t like. Plus tartare for her and curry for me. When the painfully young lass asked Mrs raid for £27.60 I was neither fast enough to stop the card touching the reader and didn’t have the heart after the fact to point out that “add a sauce for £1” was listed on the seasonal offer online so we should have paid £25.90.

IMG_5475.thumb.jpeg.04fb262bd87a218aa75bf9c4fcb972f7.jpegIMG_5425.thumb.jpeg.f3763b6b954304ae4407af80bd0e4d1f.jpegIMG_5426.thumb.jpeg.402eae784a70b585338666de6795ee08.jpegIMG_5427.thumb.jpeg.8a99b91e730fceb157d56489289daf24.jpegIMG_5429.thumb.jpeg.5c204c38be015dd3f8a496db13a0ba01.jpegIMG_5431.thumb.jpeg.80119f43bf1d344285d4d2046c8a7cb3.jpeg

Haddock was nice, batter was out of this world. A light layer but super crisp. Chips tasted great and were also very crispy though I’d have liked a bit of plump fluffiness, they were arguably leaning towards “fries.” Curry was dark, smooth, rich and spicy without any chunks and a really lovely flavour that reminded me of a curry taste from my past that I can’t place… probably the best I’ve had in 5 years since Cartmel. Tartare sauce was nice if a bit chunky with gherkin. Portion was a little light, location tax factors in and that’s OK. Mrs raid said best chippy she’s had to date, maybe I’m too nostalgic but I think that as I didn’t immediately think “This is the best chippy meal I ever had” it probably didn’t eclipse Les & Rita in my heart. As I draft, we’re preparing for St Ives so Harbour has been discussed…

TBC….

• Paid Members

OLD AGE IN-LAWS CHIPPY TOUR 2024 pt 4

Monday gone we graced St Ives and Mrs raid shocked me by suggesting we get takeaway from pricier restaurant By The Sea instead of “has a takeaway counter” chippy Harbour. I later figured out it was because they do her favourite tartare sauce. I should have guessed based on our two eat-in experiences from June that it would be “food amazing, service slapdash” and that’s exactly what happened, prompting a couple of dashes back from our bench of choice - my brain did not compute when placing my order face to face for collection later that I needed to ask for salt (and/or vinegar) having only ever previously been asked for my preference at application on a counter, been presented tick boxes on a click and collect screen, or put my own on at a table. So I had to run back for salt sachets. Secondly having ordered 2x tartare and 1x aioli, when opening to dip our now-salted chips we found we had 2x aioli only. So I went back again.

IMG_5658.thumb.jpeg.204d6b4b06c2088ecf56d89f23e84d2d.jpegIMG_5661.thumb.jpeg.a548f94baf4228b2ed25363df428e26b.jpegIMG_5664.thumb.jpeg.3b0b1a2ec00075e15822bd23c3ec8fdb.jpeg

I thought the haddock (lovely big boxing mitts they were) was wonderful - fresh and salty but also sweet and that meaty (I hope this makes sense) I could have confused it for chicken. Mrs said parts of hers were dry but I thought it eclipsed the ones we’d had from Barnacles and Rockfish, possibly the most I’ve enjoyed haddock ever. Batter was light and bubbly too. Chips were uniformly crisp, aioli was delicious, Mrs confirmed the tartare is the best but that’s probably because it has more dill than the others we tried and for me it’s a herb that overpowers. £30.40 for haddock and large chips twice plus sauces, and well worth it.

TBC…..

• Paid Members

OLD AGE IN-LAWS CHIPPY TOUR 2024, pt 5

A trip to a chippy near the holiday park was always on the cards, and Thursday was the day. Such was the need, instead of waiting until 4:30 when Lewy’s opened (having been where we went last year), we tried Sully’s Plaice just after opening at 3. Double haddock and large chips with a large curry sauce and I insisted on a saveloy so everyone could try it. £28.90.

IMG_5826.thumb.jpeg.8a097b20924eb6eeb7ce051fd8bf290b.jpegIMG_5827.thumb.jpeg.35dad2f2e8bd4b360b9f14bb6c600406.jpegIMG_5825.thumb.jpeg.9ebb976e6b529641896700dce1062569.jpeg

Reviews were mixed, I thought everything was good without being world beating and fish was well flavoured but Mrs raid said her fish was dry and everything was over salted. Her parents said “very good” but she insisted they were just being polite, and that we won’t go back in future trips. Can’t win them all.

Given this was Thursday and we were driving back up Saturday with them jetting back to Polska Sunday, I assumed that was the end of chippies this year. I was wrong.

TBC

• Paid Members

OLD AGE IN-LAWS CHIPPY TOUR 2024, pt 6 (and final)

Mrs raid offered the in-laws another fish on Friday, at first they said they weren’t starving but changed their tune when she said we wouldn’t go to Sullys again but Lewys, which we trusted as good from last year. In the end neither was the case ; we struggled to find street parking and when driving past Lewys to circle, spotted the lively looking Sanders restaurant with adjoining takeaway on the square which had a queue out the door. A quick Google showed a 4.3 score which put them apparently between Lewys and Sullys but nearly 3 times as many reviews so clearly more visited, and the wife went with her gut and parked up. This was an experience; a shitload of staff sorting out what needed to cooked for restaurant and takeaway alike. Order receipts with order numbers just like you get in McDonalds, a big touch screen enabling the choice of bypassing the queue to place your order, even more like McDonalds, and a stream of receipts hanging off the hot counter like tickets in every Kitchen Nightmares restaurant. You get the impression that while it’s still “family run” the place has become a well oiled machine to cope with demand. 

IMG_5876.thumb.jpeg.e569af7df4b1faf827e8a9d06dd90f80.jpeg

Two haddock and large chips, large curry sauce, exactly ÂŁ27.

IMG_5877.thumb.jpeg.8288bfaccba37803fe633b529d58fda4.jpegIMG_5878.thumb.jpeg.4ac65249e63bd033a7de42fbad1303e1.jpeg

The food was indeed a step up in every regard from Sullys at a lower price, and piping hot despite fully 10 orders going out between placing ours and collecting it. Especially pleasing was the curry which despite looking like every curry sauce and tasting the same in the mouth, had a sneaky kick in the back of the throat.

Overall a highly successful tour. Her folks will not be drawn on which visit was their favourite but both the Rockfish and By The Sea cemented their strong reputations, Sanders has staked their claim to “first choice” in Hayle, and we’ve signposted Pier Point for next time we’re in Torquay.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Thunderplex said:

Love these Chippy tours.

1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

Man, if I was a religious man I’d be praying for you and the family’s arteries after all these chippy visits Raid. That looks banging though. 

The subtext is fairly shocking ; her dad had heart surgery a few months back and got the all clear that everything’s working as it should be a couple of weeks before they came. Needless to say, it’s going to be “everything in moderation” from here on. So given that he’s going to be eating healthy for the rest of his life we thought nothing of feeding him 6 chippy teas in the space of just over two weeks. It would be wilder still if we had a pasty thread.

14 hours ago, air_raid said:

.... and we’ve signposted Pier Point for next time we’re in Torquay.

I was on holiday in Torquay last month and we went there. It was extortionate and portions were rotten. Wouldn't recommend

Pic added for context, not fish, sorry. I got scampi because I didn't want to remortgage my house

spacer.png

Edited by alanchiz
Added pic

12 hours ago, Tim Healys Chutney Spoon said:

How much was that kids meal?

ÂŁ16 or ÂŁ17 if I remember correctly. Had to order through my phone as well which was a faff (lots of places in Torquay wanted that for some reason)