Skateboards, BMX and Fruit Booters

Kaz Hayashi

That looks sore.

My brother (the one who has been trying to coerce me in to starting skateboarding) gave me a board at the weekend and, at a distance, started teaching me how to ollie. I think I managed to get half a centimetre off the ground once but I was chuffed for getting over the mental block of not wanting to get hurt. We're going to coincidentally be at the same skatepark next Friday so I can try it again.

I'm going to try and pick up some knee pads and wrist guards in the meantime if anybody has any recommendations.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

I'm going to try and pick up some knee pads and wrist guards in the meantime if anybody has any recommendations.

Protec, Tripe 8, Rekd and Ennui are all reputable brands. A helmet is a good shout if you haven't already got one too.  Try to get hard cap pads rather than gaskets. 

Edited by Silky Kisser

• 4 weeks later...

This past Sunday was go skate day, it was the first time in over a month I went out. I smashed the shit out of my shin. Now it looks like Mark Hominick's head after he faced Jose Aldo and I snapped the nose off my deck.I am struggling to find an 8 inch deck for under 60 quid online that isn't completely hideous.

• 1 year later...
  • Paid Members

I don’t have BT Sports anymore and I really miss watching X Games.

The thing I love about it the most is all the competitors always seem to be genuinely chuffed for the winner and they’re always bigging each other up. It’s really wholesome and feel good tv a lot of the time 

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Got a Girl board today, in the latest episode of "Staying Off the Drink Does Weird Shit to the Gaffer." 

I've spent a few weeks now slowly teasing my way back into watching old skate team VHS rips on YouTube and re-falling in love with that whole mood of it all. I packed in skateboarding as a teen. Wasn't much good but I could cruise around and grind a rail like Tony Khan before a big Dynamite. Definitely was one of the many "I play Tony Hawk more than I actually skateboard" type people. 

I then realised I literally walk through an outdoor skatepark every day as a bridge between the street I live and the city centre (the local chemistry enthusiasts hang out there too, and it's affectionately dubbed 'The Bumhole') so I may as well just buy a board again and get into it. 

Found this great series as well on my voyage of rediscovery. It's relaxing to watch if you love skateboard noises, and the host seems like a stand up dude. 

Anyway, better get some sleep before I wake April and Phil up with fireworks tonight. 

My mates were all genuinely fantastic skaters, but I couldn't even stand on a board. Many a day were spent down Southbank or at Brixton skate park.

My contributions to the group were watching the skate videos and saying "That's a Non Phixion tune by the way" etc, but I do still love watching the old rips of those videos when I can find them.

My 11yo is pretty decent. She's been trying to nail a kick flip for about a year now and will not give up, which I like. 

I'd have given up 10 minutes in.