UFC 227: Dillashaw vs Garbrandt 2

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, ColinBollocks said:

"Big fights" to be precise. He mentioned he made no money fighting Gus last time, which is a big reason why he's not bothered about fighting him. So Gus, despite being an established name, isn't much of a big name, which is no surprise seeing how infrequently he fights.

Which is ironic really, because he's giving Gusty pelters for not taking a fight against some mid-level guy for $50,000 show money, when the sensible option is to only face top contenders.

It's worth remembering that this isn't a case of Gusty sitting out and refusing to fight anyone. He was pencilled in for a bout against a top ranked challenger. It's not Gusty's fault that the guy fell out of the fight, is it?

And why should he then be willing to fight some guy who provides absolutely fuck all upside on relatively short-notice? Of course Rountree and Smith are more than happy to step in, they're all upside in this deal! It's a no-brainer for them!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

We're actually in agreement that it's smart to sit out, David, if he just wants to sit back and wait for his chance when DC is done (that's fair enough), but he's blown it if the plan is to avenge the DC loss and prove he is good enough to overcome the very elite of MMA.

I fancy Gus takes the belt next year and then hand it right back to Jones.

• Paid Members

How long is Volkan out? I still really want to see Gus vs Volkan if possible. 

I love DC but if he's saying Gus isn't a big fight and he made shit money last time then I can't see who he could possibly see as a 'big fight' out of who's left at 205. He was calling out Shogun for fuck's sake. How's that a 'big fight'? I get why. If he's going to get a low payday, he'd rather take a squash match against Shogun for a smaller payday than another war vs Gustafsson for a smaller payday. Got it. But if that's the case, just sack off the idea of another fight at 205 altogether. If there's no appealing options and the money isn't worth it to him, I'd rather he didn't bother. Just do the Brock fight. I've got no interest in watching DC half arse it for a paycheque in a cold, lifeless 205 title defence that he's not interested in against Corey Anderson or something. Fuck that. There's nothing left to do anyway at 205 other than finally beat Jon Jones, and that's off the menu. The only fights I'd like to see DC in at 205 now are either a) the Gus rematch which he's not interested in or b) Yoel Romero but DC was putting the brakes on that talk as well and Yoel seems to be staying put at 185 now. If he's not fighting Gus or Yoel I'd prefer to see him just stay at heavyweight. 

12 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

"Big fights" to be precise. He mentioned he made no money fighting Gus last time, which is a big reason why he's not bothered about fighting him. So Gus, despite being an established name, isn't much of a big name, which is no surprise seeing how infrequently he fights. Of course, no one outside of Jones is, but that's exactly why DC challenged the division to "do something" to make the fight make sense - after all, he's near enough run through all the "established names" in the division.

I presume an option is someone from MW moves up to create a "super fight", or a LHW gets it and starts creating some buzz.

Another option, of course, is DC manages to wiggle his way onto a Conor card v Manuwa or something.

I watched the video back and he dismissed fighting Curtis Blaydes on the basis of him not being a "big fight". Maybe some of us overestimate what Gus brings to the table commercially. I was unaware that DC had said that he didn't make any money fighting him. 

I honestly think that the proposed Shogun fight was grandstanding and he won't fight again until Lesnar is ready or Jones becomes available. 

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, jimufctna24 said:

I honestly think that the proposed Shogun fight was grandstanding and he won't fight again until Lesnar is ready or Jones becomes available. 

Yeh i think that was a case of DC just giving the press stuff they wanted to hear after the Miocic win...also if Shogun had beaten Anthony Smith who knows? It may have happened.

17 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

We're actually in agreement that it's smart to sit out, David, if he just wants to sit back and wait for his chance when DC is done (that's fair enough), but he's blown it if the plan is to avenge the DC loss and prove he is good enough to overcome the very elite of MMA.

I fancy Gus takes the belt next year and then hand it right back to Jones.

Hearing him talk, I think he's moved past the idea of the DC fight. His comments where he says DC should either come back to 205lbs and face him or let the belt go, it seems like his number one priority is the title rather than any redemption.

Don't get me wrong, he'd likely jump at the chance if DC was open to it, but the main thing seems to be the belt, and undoubtedly the hike in money it provides.

17 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Is there anything saying he cant sit out and wait to fight Volkan?

Nope, which is what he seems to be doing. 

Like I said, he's not interested in fighting against anyone who doesn't provide an upside, so unless it's Volkan or DC, he's not interested by the looks of it, even if he's saying all the right things in interviews.

The only way he fights Smith, Rountree or someone else of that calibre is if they say it's for an interim belt, or if they offer him more than the $51,000 show/win money he's on at the moment.

2 hours ago, Guy Bifkin said:

It's really hard to pick a dog in this main event, both fighters are complete bellends. 

I think TJ comes off as the more normal of the two, and I agree that it shouldn't have been as big a deal when he moved camp. Like he said, is he supposed to be "Alpha Male 4 life?" Is it like the fucking mafia for short guys with Napoleon complexes or some shit?

• Paid Members

This is tomorrow. 

Not sure what result I want out of the main event. Purely on the fight in its own bubble, I'm pulling for TJ. I don't like him but he's the lesser of two twats in this case. But if Cody wins, we get a third fight so that wouldn't be the worst outcome either. 

Fuck it, Team TJ. Probably the only time I'll ever say that. There's just something about Cody and that whole Team Alpha Male vibe I just can't be doing with. And I think the way they've gone on since TJ left the team is all a bit pathetic. It really is like they think they're the mafia and once you're in you mustn't dishonour the 'family' in any way. Especially if it involves training with Duane Ludwig. Don Urijah Gotti will have a horse's head in your bed for that shit. 

I honestly think that at the root of it all, a big part of this whole thing stems from jealousy from Urijah. He didn't like Ludwig taking his shine and getting most of the credit for the team's improvements and success. Then I think he saw Dillashaw do what he was never able to accomplish himself - bringing a UFC title to the team for the first time. On top of all that, the two guys he was jealous of, Ludwig and Dillashaw, had bonded and basically won the title together. Faber's position as the alpha male of Team Alpha Male was diminished because Ludwig was outshining his coaching and TJ had outshone his fighting accolades. I think Cody has just been used as a pawn in this whole thing. And he's just too thick to know any better. 

• Paid Members

Ive only just realised that outside of the top two fights this is a piss-weak PPV, the UFC always seems to have a string of solid PPV's then one stinker chucked in to break it up. A womans strawweight on PPV, no thanks.

Did anyone see Mike Tyson on Embedded? He doesn't look to be in good nick.

You could write a really good movie out of the main event story, especially if you wanna spin the jealousy angle. You any good at screenplays wand?

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Egg Shen said:

Did anyone see Mike Tyson on Embedded? He doesn't look to be in good nick.

I've been worried about him all year. He did a few interviews at the start of the year where he seemed out of it, but his management claimed he just had back surgery and was on some heavy pain medication while in recovery. Who knows?

I'm Team TJ because Cody's glasses annoy me.

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

You could write a really good movie out of the main event story, especially if you wanna spin the jealousy angle. You any good at screenplays wand?

Just call me Wandy Speilberg. 

NOT Harvey Wandstein though. 

• Paid Members

Where you at David? 😜

What a brilliant couple of title fights, for different reasons. Cejudo v DJ is in with a shout for one of the fights of the year. That last round was about as gripping as sports get, proper tight fight, which I had as 2-2 going into the 5th, but Cejudo managed to do a little more. DC did a great job pointing out why Cejudo was always going to be the one guy that had the best chance of beating DJ. Thing is, imagine Cejudo in a year or two. He's still only 31 and in his MMA prime, I know he has those taxing high-level wrestling years, but he looks to be in good nick.
Anyway, what a brilliant fight and Cejudo v TJ is a belter.

There can be no doubt now. After all the excuses about the back and adrenaline dump etc, TJ ends the fight more decisively than the first. Part of me wanted Cody to win because I'd happily just see these two go at it for the next two years.

The UFC must be chuffed with that. A number of exciting fights and one that shocked the world.

Archived