Jump to content

UFC 227: Dillashaw vs Garbrandt 2


wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

Gusty is just playing the game that fighters have been shown is the way to go these days. 

The mentality of fighting "anyone, anytime, anywhere" has been proven a crock of shit, and if you lose it gets you nowhere, so why do it?

Khalil Rountree Jr? Why the fuck would Gusty take that fight? How does that improve his current situation? What does beating someone of that level do for him? Absolutely bugger all.

Gusty has worked his way into the position of being top one or two in the division. No need to face someone who's still a fair bit away from that level. Doesn't make sense.

Think about it this way, Gusty is essentially just killing time until DC drops that 205lbs belt, at which point he's going to be one of two fighters most likely chosen to fight for it.

He wins that fight, and he goes from making $51,000 show money with a $51,000 win bonus to pulling in the standard $600,000 per fight champion payout.

And people want him to risk that shit against Khalil fucking Rountree?!? C'mon man!

Edited by David
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members
1 hour ago, David said:

Gusty has worked his way into the position of being top one or two in the division. No need to face someone who's still a fair bit away from that level. Doesn't make sense.

It does if he wants that DC fight and avenge that loss, like he's been on about. DC was very clear that Gus needed to do something to change his mind, but instead DC has now come out and said he won't fight him - which is fair enough, Gus barely fights anyway.

If Gus just wants to sit about and wait for a shot at the vacant title, then he's more than entitled to that. Just a bit rubbish for fans that wanted another go at DC v Gus.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members

Gust. is entitled to sit out but hes gotta realise that the more he does that the more he'll get passed over. Same thing just happened with Weidman at 185. Unless you are a very special case you need to be fighting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members

Yeah. He's only had two fights since DC bested him, where as DC has fought 5 times against some of the greatest fighters ever and Volkan. 

In fact, it's been 5 years since Gus lost to Jones and his record since then is 3-2.

Edited by ColinBollocks
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members

It's a bit dickish on DC's part to downplay Gus' wins over Blachowicz and Teixeira though. They're both in the top five. 

That said, if Gus wants to stay active and get straight back in contention, he should fight either Oezdemir or Latifi. 

If he's been that inactive, feed him OSP. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

It does if he wants that DC fight and avenge that loss, like he's been on about. DC was very clear that Gus needed to do something to change his mind, but instead DC has now come out and said he won't fight him - which is fair enough, Gus barely fights anyway.

If Gus just wants to sit about and wait for a shot at the vacant title, then he's more than entitled to that. Just a bit rubbish for fans that wanted another go at DC v Gus.

He's not getting the DC fight, and beating Khalil Rountree isn't going to change that.

He knows, as pretty much everyone else does, that DC isn't coming back to 205lbs. It's not going to happen, no matter who Gus fights. I'd wager my life savings on DC manhandling Brock then retiring right there on the spot.

 

6 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Gust. is entitled to sit out but hes gotta realise that the more he does that the more he'll get passed over. Same thing just happened with Weidman at 185. Unless you are a very special case you need to be fighting.

At 205lbs he ain't getting passed over, Egg.

Once DC calls it a day and gives up that title the UFC will have to sign a fight for a new champion, and if they pass over Gus, who else they gonna throw in there? The only real question is who they're going to put in alongside him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, David said:

Once DC calls it a day and gives up that title the UFC will have to sign a fight for a new champion, and if they pass over Gus, who else they gonna throw in there?

A week ago, I would have said some variation of Glover, Yoel, or Rockhold. 

But Glover lost to Anderson over the weekend, and Romero and Rockhold look like they are staying at 185lbs. Given all this, Gusty is more or less assured of being in the picture if indeed D.C calls it a day after the Lesnar fight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, jimufctna24 said:

A week ago, I would have said some variation of Glover, Yoel, or Rockhold. 

But Glover lost to Anderson over the weekend, and Romero and Rockhold look like they are staying at 185lbs. Given all this, Gusty is more or less assured of being in the picture if indeed D.C calls it a day after the Lesnar fight.

Even the UFC, being as fucked up as it is now, wouldn't stage a Light-Heavyweight title fight with two guys who've never even fought at the weight before.

Maybe throwing one of them in, I can see that, but both? Gusty is assured of one of those spots, which is why he'd need to be a complete plank to risk throwing that all away by fighting someone like Rountree or Smith for $51,000 to show and the same to win.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members
17 hours ago, David said:

He's not getting the DC fight, and beating Khalil Rountree isn't going to change that.

He knows, as pretty much everyone else does, that DC isn't coming back to 205lbs. It's not going to happen, no matter who Gus fights. I'd wager my life savings on DC manhandling Brock then retiring right there on the spot.ÔĽŅ

It means nowt now because he's made certain it's not happening. If he doesn't want the fight, then it's the move, although he's probably just keeping the division ticking over until Jones comes back and twats him.

Also, DC has said on multiple interview that he wants to get a LHW title fight in before Brock. It's why he called out bloody ...SHOGUN. He wants to be a legit two title belt holder. Of course, his hand being buggered may ruin that.

Edited by ColinBollocks
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members

The only issue for Gusty here is time really. I think DC will potch about for a while with both belts with no intention of fighting Gust. Might be a case of another interim belt being created to get Gustaffsson back in the cage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Who is there for D.C to fight at 205lbs other than Gusty? Keep in mind that D.C has said that he only wants to fight established names. Jones is out of commission and there is really no one else viable at 205lbs who has any significant name value. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members
28 minutes ago, jimufctna24 said:

Who is there for D.C to fight at 205lbs other than Gusty? Keep in mind that D.C has said that he only wants to fight established names. Jones is out of commission and there is really no one else viable at 205lbs who has any significant name value. 

"Big fights" to be precise. He mentioned he made no money fighting Gus last time, which is a big reason why he's not bothered about fighting him. So Gus, despite being an established name, isn't much of a big name, which is no surprise seeing how infrequently he fights. Of course, no one outside of Jones is, but that's exactly why DC challenged the division to "do something" to make the fight make sense - after all, he's near enough run through all the "established names" in the division.

I presume an option is someone from MW moves up to create a "super fight", or a LHW gets it and starts creating some buzz.

Another option, of course, is DC manages to wiggle his way onto a Conor card v Manuwa or something.

Edited by ColinBollocks
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Conor doesn't need anyone on his undercards really, maybe Rose Namajunas or someone who isn't a big name, certainly not anyone with a large PPV% cut, when him and Khabib, Nate or whoever can pocket that, 202 didn't have any championship fights and did more than any other PPV.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...