Wife is away tomorrow, recommend me some wrestling

Jimmy Boy

Yep

got a free pass tomorrow so recommend me some killer ppv’s and matches to watch! stand alone matches too

on a side note, watched the steamboat/savage match the other day for the first time in yonks and forgot how good it was, i seemed to remember it being stated that it doesn’t stand up too well these days but I was still caught up in it 

In the lead up to the Royal Rumble this year, I watched a few classic ones. I saw 2000, 1988 and 1997 in quick succession. I'm still deciding which WrestleMania I haven't seen in full or at all to put on. So try something like that. Randomly choose something along those lines.

Random array of maches I love and are pretty much universally renowned to be great:

Randy Savage v Ultimate Warrior - Wrestlemania 7

CM Punk v John Cena - Money in the Bank 2011

Undertaker v Shawn Michaels - IYH: Bad Blood 

Steve Austin v Bret Hart - Wrestlemania 13

Daniel Bryan v John Cena - Summerslam 2013

Brock Lesnar v John Cena - Extreme Rules 2012

HHH v Chris Jericho - Fully Loaded 2000

If I'm at a loose end I just search up the "On this day" articles and watch stuff related to those. Today has thrown up WrestleMania 7 so that cracking Savage/Warrior match and Rockers v Haku/Barbarian get the nod.

On the flipside, it also is 21 years since the Doomsday cage match from WCW Uncensored '96. Truly awful match but I shall persevere.

• Paid Members

Here are some of my recommendations:

Bret Hart vs. Roddy Piper, Wrestlemania 8 - Epic. Young up-and-coming ace against elite veteran aiming to prove he's still relevant, and hold on to his Intercontinental title. In my eyes, a pretty much perfect match. Great as a stand-alone, but if you remember the histories of these guys leading up to it, even better.

D-Generation X (Triple H & Shawn Michaels) vs. Legacy (Cody Rhodes & Ted DiBiase Jr.), Summerslam 2009 - Because of this match, I came closer to the opinion that possibly the best kind of wrestling match is a classic tag. This is a war, where all four guys look great (and I'm including DiBiase Jr. in this, who rarely looked any good outside this feud). Their later Submission match was considered better, but I much prefer this one. I appeal to @HarmonicGenerator for corroboration, as he watched this in his "A Summerslam Match A Day" project.

Randy Savage vs. Ultimate Warrior, Wrestlemania 7 - This has been recommended several times, and with good reason. It's just fuggin' brill. Loser retires. Possibly the best the Warrior ever looked, and the match itself is perfectly paced, great performances from both guys, and an emotional moment after. Sheer wrestling drama - what we watch wrestling for.

The Rockers vs. The Orient Express, Royal Rumble 1991 - The OE's matches with the Rockers were their best during their WWF run; the rest of the time they were job-fodder. This is a great little opener, lots of fun, lots of action.

These are all matches, amongst others, that I like to re-watch on occasion, because they're just so damn good.

• Paid Members

You're home alone and going to waste it watching wrestling? :/

Ok, well TNA Slammiversary 2012 is my favourite PPV this decade (granted I haven't seen most of the WWE ones during the same period).

Other than that, can't go wrong with Wrestlemania 10 and Summerslam 97 in my book.

• Paid Members

Rumble 92 is over-rated as a whole but Flair's performance is great. I'd choose 90 and 91 over it as something to watch.

If you're going Rumbles, then 90, 2001, 2002 and this year's would be my go-to.

Wrestlemania you can't go wrong with 14, 17, 20, 30.

Summerslam 2002 is class from start to finish

Awesome, thanks guys 

I’m very partial to any Bret Hart stuff, also been getting into a lot of midnight express stuff recently! Never saw the NWA growing up so seeing all this stuff is class 

Archived