BritWres Pests

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Show posters don’t need to display it. The only people who know about this is people reading forums like this and those in their circles. Mum with kids is still going to walk down the street and go, “Oh, the wrestling” if she sees a poster. She’s not going to think, “Well, I remember reading on Twitter that a wrestler or two were outed as being kiddy-fiddlers. I bet it was this group.”

As has been mentioned before though, being checked is a good think to mention if a venue has reservations when booking, and it should definitely be on all material for a training school to give parents piece of mind that their children aren’t going to be inappropriately handled by fully-grown adults.

• Paid Members

Yeah, it's something that promoters can point to as a means of assuaging fears, which can potentially come up. For example, we don't know how many people are aware of the whole situation with James Wallace/Jim Brown, as it was publicised online, but not on TV.

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Yeah, it's something that promoters can point to as a means of assuaging fears, which can potentially come up. For example, we don't know how many people are aware of the whole situation with James Wallace/Jim Brown, as it was publicised online, but not on TV.

It's more than just assuaging fears, it's about protecting yourself and your reputation. Big promotions who aren't being compliant with things like DBS checks and basic safeguarding policies for under 18s are taking a risk. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Duke said:

It's more than just assuaging fears, it's about protecting yourself and your reputation. Big promotions who aren't being compliant with things like DBS checks and basic safeguarding policies for under 18s are taking a risk. 

Oh, I get that; I was just referring to the point about it being referred to in posters at the first point of contact between promotion and punter. But yeah - promotions need to be cannier about their overall method of operation in this regard. Most are already used to being careful as regards insurance, etc., so adapting to include DBS checks and codes of professional conduct shouldn't be much of a stretch for them.

Cant remember how it works in the UK but here in Oz we have something called a working with childrens check - anyone working with children has to have them - including parents who just want to volunteer for school reading problems etc. There is a paid one for if you work with children - where its a requirement of the job, but also a free one which anyone can apply for - with the same level of detail as the paid one, but it covers you for volunteering at schools, if you're a scout leader, volunteer life guard or SES etc.  

Is there anything comparable in the UK? 

• Paid Members

No, the closest thing is having to have a background check (was CBR, now DBS), which is what a lot of people in here state should be in place but isn’t.

The problem is that it’s kind of left up to the employer regarding enforcement of having a check taken place (basically filling out a document, wait for several weeks on some cases, and then you get a document back with relevant info attached).

Now, there’s issues for and against.

If said promotion are going to train anyone under the age of 18, then everyone who could potentially come in to contact with the child should have been checked. Much like scout leaders, swimming instructors, martial arts instructors  etc. If a wrestler doesn’t, they should not be allowed on the premises during training sessions. I also believe that the children in question should not ever be allowed to perform on any public show, until 18.

I also believe that wrestlers who don’t train the children, but who do wrestle at shows where children might be in attendance, should NOT have to have a check. They are simply performing at an event where a child may possibly be in attendance. Much like a footballer, a musician etc. They don’t require a DBS, a wrestler shouldn’t either.

It doesn’t need to be on posters. It should be on every poster/website/flyer that advertises training opportunities.

The Scottish version is the PVG ( Protection Vulnerable Groups) check. Both my wife and I have one as I’m a Footie coach and she is a team coordinator. We couldn’t get involved without the background checks, and obviously someone without previous doesn’t necessarily mean they aren’t capable of any wrongdoing, but it’s great that they take as many steps as possibly to ensure everyone involved is covered as far as possible. 

Wrestling, as it’s a contact sport that attracts a young audience, should definitely be subject to these same checks....but that would mean someone being accountable for it, and not Alex Shane and his bogus “ council”.....but an actual governing body. This would obviously mean checks on ring condition, proper training, insurance, paying taxes etc.....but it would hopefully go a long way to cleaning up the industry and clearing out the shitarses who set up a ring and throw under-trained kids around to feed their own egos......

• 2 years later...