The 2017 UKFF50 - Results!

Linus

• Paid Members

No. 20 - Omari

Twitter: @OmariM4x2

Total 1st place votes in 2017: 1

UKFF 50 History: First year on the list!

Regular promotions during period: Fight Club: PRO in Wolverhampton (and nationwide)... Lucha Forever nationwide... Kamikaze-Pro in Birmingham... ATTACK! in the South West

First year on the list for this hotly-tipped rookie, who capped an immense 2017 by winning Fight Club: PRO's Infinity tournament and debuting for PROGRESS. Competed in the CHIKARA King of Trios and Rey de Voladores tournaments, and picked up massive victories this year over Keith Lee, Jordan Devlin, Mark Haskins, Moose & Will Ospreay.

UKFF says: "One of the most sympathetic pure babyfaces in the world, has been a big highlight of Fight Club Pro this year, delivering their likely best match with Keith Lee. After his big Infinity win, he should be on course for a big 2018 in Fight Club Pro and elsewhere where he can hopefully put the finishing touches to his look and overall character to compliment his natural likeability and charisma."

"Skinny dude in his ASDA George trunks that turned out to be better than he had any right to be. His match with Keith Lee one of my favourites of the year"

Linus says: "Dancing to Omari's music is one of my guilty pleasures and the fun doesn't stop when the bell rings. He's building a quiet charisma to match his potential in-ring, and his chase of Fight Club: PRO champion Chris Brookes will be the story of 2018."

omari.png

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

=No. 18 - "The Pride Of Wales" Eddie Dennis

Twitter: @EddieDennis1986

Total 1st place votes in 2017: 0

UKFF 50 History: NR in 2016... top 40 in 2015... 17th in 2014... 50th in 2013

Regular promotions during period: ATTACK! in the South West... RevPro in London (and the South East)... Chaos in Bristol... PROGRESS in London (and nationwide)... HOP:E in the East Midlands... Battle-Pro in London... Fight Club: PRO in Wolverhampton (and nationwide)

A very busy year for the former headteacher, who went full-time midway through 2017. This seems to be paying off in terms of increased bookings and a stark change in his physique. Spent the early part of the year as ATTACK! champion, and also held gold in Chaos, Dennis was reviatlised mid-year by a heel turn in PROGRESS.

UKFF says: "His decision to go full-time this year has already been rewarded with renewed pushes in both Progress and Rev Pro where he’s delivered excellent character work, telling nuanced stories in both companies, with the same likely goal of making Dennis one of the top heels in Brit Wres. That he has been able to pull it off, despite previously being one of the most beloved characters on the scene with a real life story that should have people rooting for him, rather than against him, is testament to how good he’s been the last 6 months of the year."

Linus says: "My first favourite BritWrestler after my return to the sport, I'll always carry a torch for Eddie Dennis, though him not coming out to Party Hard will always be a crime!"

eddie.jpg

• Paid Members

=No. 18 - "Fearless" Charlie Morgan

(aka Penelope)

Twitter: @CharlieMorganUK

Regular promotions during period: EVE in London

A gimmick change early in 2017 paid dividends for Morgan as she reinvented herself as a tough, foul-mouthed tomboy. Initially a heel, she turned mid-year as part of a feud with Nina Samuels, which also saw her publicly "come out". Ended the year with dates for PROGRESS.

UKFF says: "A great character who really broke out in EVE this year with both mainstream publicity and a massive SHE-1 tournament. The former Penelope is a great story of how to re-invent yourself and re-set your career and seems on course for big things in 2018, with a likely York Hall main event and big public spotlight to come."

Linus says: "What a year for Charlie! After 6 years as Penelope she broke out into a more comfortable gimmick and it has shown in her promo and in-ring. She's still a bit foul-mouthed, still a bit thuggish, but she's OUR foul-mouthed thug now."

charlie.jpg

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, Wrasslin said:

Been impressed with Omari's matches but my god that ring gear needs an overhaul. 

Absolutely. Stellar worker who's still just a little rough around the edges, but definitely needs a change of gear before I can take him 100% seriously. Stick him in long tights with even the most basic of designs on them, and he'd be good to go.

We're getting into people I've actually seen this year now - the only shows I made it to were Fight Club Pro, CHIKARA, EVE and XWA - and those last three are definitely deserved. Omari, by rights, should be a stand-out in 2018 if he can improve on the base he's started from, Eddie Dennis has been great for years but really cemented himself this year.

And Charlie Morgan, absolute star, real stand-out of the year for me. Came in pretty much of nowhere to EVE, as far as I was concerned - I hadn't realised she was the former Penelope until later - had a corker of a brawl with Kay Lee Ray, followed by the "coming out" promo, which was a genuinely emotional moment, something quite rare in BritWres. From there, the EVE crowd have really just taken her to heart, and even having missed a few months due to injury haven't hurt her stock in that company. Good to see her getting noticed elsewhere, too.

• Paid Members

=No. 16 - Jackie Polo

Twitter: @JackiePolo

UKFF 50 History: 38th in 2016

Regular promotions during period: ICW in Glasgow (and nationwide)... Target in The Borders... Source in Glasgow

Despite a teased split mid-year, Jackie continues to tag successfully with Mark Coffey in Polo Promotions, holding gold in ICW, Pro-Wrestling Elite and Target, where he was also heavyweight champ as the year began. Had a few outings for WCPW but mostly kept to north of the border, but already signed on for PCW's Road To Glory tag tournament in 2018.

UKFF says: "Jackie is the Marmite of Scottish wrestling. you either adore him or hate him. strongly in the fan camp here. Polo promotion tag team  continues to deliver,their match against Moustache Mountain in Target is a must see for atmosphere alone. Also had strong single matches against Joe Coffey and Zac Gibson in target, and Mike Bird in ICW. Also show up often in Source taking on trainees nd bringing them up to his level in the ring. Can do anything and be everything he ants to be in wrestling. starting to show that in the ring."

Linus says: "I have never seen Jackie Polo wrestle live, and have only seen a handful of matches on tape. Yet those who see him regularly speak very highly of him, and I'm looking forward to seeing what they see!"

JackiePolo2-276x380.png

• Paid Members

=No. 16 - "Iron Man" Joe Coffey

Twitter: @Joe_Coffey

UKFF 50 History: 26th in 2016... top 40 in 2015... 24th in 2014... 38th in 2013

Regular promotions during period: ICW in Glasgow (and nationwide)... WCPW nationwide... BCW in Lanarkshire... Discovery in Edinburgh... PWE in Ayrshire... Target in The Borders

Spent the middle part of the year as ICW Heavyweight champion, where he turned heel to join forces with Red Lightning, and also held gold in SWA & Discovery. Kept busy with dates for WCPW and also appeared for PROGRESS and Fight Club: PRO, which sweetend the falling apart of the World Of Sport project.

UKFF says: "Finally got an extended ICW title run, and got to face the big names coming in....but no story to cement a memorable reign from. exposure from What Culture and now PROGRESS good for him and his chances to move onwards."

Linus says: "I warmed to Joe over the year, but never really had anything that I disliked about him in the first place. It was more that he gave me nothing especially special but a few twinkles appeared by year's end. 2018 is a big year for him."

coffey.jpg

• Paid Members

No. 15 - "No Fun" Damian Dunne

(aka Chief Deputy Dunne)

Twitter: @NoFunDunne

UKFF 50 History: 36th in 2016... NR in 2015... 21st in 2014

Regular promotions during period: ATTACK! in the South West... Southside in the East of England... Lucha Forever nationwide... HOP:E in the East Midlands... Kamikaze-Pro in Birmingham... SWA in Telford... Fight Club: PRO in Wolverhampton (and nationwide)... PROGRESS in London (and nationwide)... IPW:UK in the South East

2017 was a big year for Dunne, who looked to have missed out a little as his contemporaries got their big break with WWE-UK. Hard graft saw him appear EVERYWHERE, with the ATTACK!-only Anti-Fun Police gimmick being applied to most of his gigs, with huge success. Won titles in HOP:E, Kamikaze-Pro, ATTACK!, Southside, and WrestleMidlands, and even got to wrestle New Japan's Chaos faction for RevPro, as well as being part of CHIKARA's King of Trios weekend.

UKFF says: Um...

Linus says: "Someone liked Dunne enough to vote him number one. It wasn't me but he IS wonderful, and has definitely been underrated in the past few years. Hopefully that's changing now, and he'll get more and more high-profile bookings that his talent deserves."

dunne.jpg

• Paid Members

No. 14 - Sammii Jayne

Twitter: @sammiijayne25

Regular promotions during period: EVE in London... WrestleZone in Aberdeen

Emerged as the number one heel in Pro-Wrestling EVE this year after injuring their champion in a match on an XWA card and then stepping up to claim the belt herself. Also won titles in Discovery and in Barcelona, Sammii has found herself in demand for any promotion that wants a seriously-evil female presence.

UKFF says: They said NOTHING.

Linus says: "You might think i'm being hyperbolic when I say that I see Sammii Jayne as the female pete Dunne, but there are so many similarities to my eyes, in terms of in-ring style and how they carry themselves. That's pretty high praise, right? Fully deserved."

sammii.jpg

Sammi probably doesn’t get the exposure she deserves in Scotland. Recent discovery woman’s champ and hopefully gives her exposure she deserves. Her slide to outside/ German suplex is that simple yet innovative, everyone will be ripping that off by year end 

• Paid Members

Love both of those two - Damian Dunne is just the perfect heel for a business that, for a lot of promotions, relies heavily on comedy and "fun" spots. It leaves me kicking myself, because I wanted to book someone to do a Monty Python "Stop that, it's silly" schtick, and Dunne beat me to a much better angle on the same concept. It's also a gimmick that gives him a ton of mileage that just being plain old Damian Dunne never would have given him, and means he's not in Pete's shadow as a former tag team partner. I can't think of a match of his I've seen and not enjoyed, so that's well deserved.

Sammi Jayne is fantastic - I've made the female Pete Dunne comparison myself. Just carries herself like a star, while coming across like a real nasty piece of work, and capable of some fast-paced, hard hitting matches. Should be working everywhere. The Baseball Slide German Suplex is one of my favourite moves around right now - I don't know if she came up with it, but it's special enough that I only associate it with her; she also does a good job of making it feel natural to set up, and hitting it somewhat unexpectedly, when it could very easily be an overly choreographed spot requiring too much of an elaborate set-up.

32 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Is there any video available of this German Suplex? It sounds very cool.

And I confess I haven't heard of Damien Dunne - related to Pete, or just the same surname?

Archived