The 2017 UKFF50 - Results!

Linus

• Paid Members

Can't argue with that - Zack Gibson's the only one who comes close to an outlier in the top five for me; I'd swap him and Brookes around, personally, though I'm not a PROGRESS guy, so I've missed out on a lot of Zack's work, so I wouldn't be in the position to make a strong argument for that.

For me, the success stories in British wrestling last year were British Strong Style, CCK and Travis Banks, so the list bears out with that. First time I saw Tyler Bate, it was only the third time Moustache Mountain had teamed together, he would only have been about 16, and I thought him and Trent were absolutely brilliant - was immediately on at my boss over in CIWW to book them, and tried to push that for years, but never got him to agree to it, sadly. It's been fantastic seeing them get the level of success they've had, though, and seeing them (Tyler especially) grow and develop. It's scary to think how many years Tyler could still have ahead of him.

Pete took a little longer to grow on me - I only vaguely remember seeing him as part of the Dunne Brothers in CHIKARA, and later in KYS in Fight Club Pro, who were a perfectly functional heel act but never really did it for me. But I remember around 2015/16 a friend telling me thought Pete Dunne was the best wrestler in the country, so I started paying closer attention, and he just got better and better every time I saw him. It would be hard to think of any wrestler, anywhere in the world, who had a better year than him. And as good as Trent and Tyler have been, Pete has stepped up and really run away with the level of fame and critical attention he's getting, putting on phenomenal matches everywhere he goes. I can't remember the last time I saw him in a bad match. He was part of possibly the best match I've ever seen live last year (BSS vs. Sendai Girls), too.

More casual fans seem to really get him too - I have a fair few friends that watch WWE, but don't really have time to follow anything outside of that, and every single one of them has told me how brilliant they think Pete is.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Thanks to everyone who took part this year, particularly those who took the time to submit some UKFF Says pieces along with their votes. BritWres is riding the crest of a wave but I think it's important that something that began in less-successful year, and documented an important part of that history, continues, and the UKFF50 is definitely that. In case you're interested, here are the list of winners...

2005 - Doug Williams
2006 - Doug Williams
2007 - Doug Williams
2008 - Doug Williams
2009 - Bubblegum
2010 - Martin Stone
2011 - El Ligero
2012 - El Ligero
2013 - El Ligero
2014 - Zack Sabre Jr
2015 - Not announced
2016 - Will Ospreay
2017 - Pete Dunne

Been really fun to contribute to and comment along with this. Great job @Linus, have really captured what was a great year in uk wrestling ......now name and shame those who voted for Havoc that high haha

10 hours ago, Linus said:

Thanks to everyone who took part this year, particularly those who took the time to submit some UKFF Says pieces along with their votes. BritWres is riding the crest of a wave but I think it's important that something that began in less-successful year, and documented an important part of that history, continues, and the UKFF50 is definitely that. In case you're interested, here are the list of winners...

2005 - Doug Williams
2006 - Doug Williams
2007 - Doug Williams
2008 - Doug Williams
2009 - Bubblegum
2010 - Martin Stone
2011 - El Ligero
2012 - El Ligero
2013 - El Ligero
2014 - Zack Sabre Jr
2015 - Not announced
2016 - Will Ospreay
2017 - Pete Dunne

what happened in 2015?

• Paid Members

Ben finished up with the 2014 edition and CobyStag took on the 2015 50. He posted the results of 50-41 and then I think his laptop died or something? So we know the top 40 but not the positions they finished in 😢

• Paid Members

Loved following this along as always, think it's overall a great reflection of the current state of Brit Wres and a great barometer of where people stand. Top work Linus! 

• Paid Members
55 minutes ago, Sichadelic said:

Great read, thanks. 

Can I just ask what the criteria is for the list? Do you have to be British, or just wrestle in the UK?

Was surprised to see no Sabre and Ospreay, and also surprised to see Banks as he was born in New Zealand. 

The criteria is basically having at least half of your matches in the UK. This allows Banks, Davis, Fletcher & el Ligero to be featured but disqualifies Brits like Scurll, Ospreay & Sabre Jr. It's a UK Scene 50 rather than a straight UK 50.

On 28/01/2018 at 5:24 PM, Linus said:

The criteria is basically having at least half of your matches in the UK. This allows Banks, Davis, Fletcher & el Ligero to be featured but disqualifies Brits like Scurll, Ospreay & Sabre Jr. It's a UK Scene 50 rather than a straight UK 50.

Makes sense, thanks for clearing that up 👍🏻

Archived