The 2017 UKFF50 - Results!

Linus

Glad to see the Scottish women being so high up, as quality of main event talent being so low on this list has me worried the likes of viper and klr would suffer and they haven’t. 

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

We're back! And into the top ten...

No. 10 - Jimmy Havoc

Twitter: @JimmyHavoc

Total 1st place votes in 2017: 0

UKFF 50 History: 20th in 2016... top 40 in 2015... 8th in 2014

Regular promotions during period: PROGRESS in London (and nationwide)... IPW:UK in the South East... Fight Club: PRO in Wolverhampton (and nationwide)... WCPW nationwide... ICW in Glasgow (and nationwide)... Lucha Forever nationwide

Achieved a career ambition by taking part in - and winning - CZW's Tournament Of Death, and took part in Fight Club: PRO's infamous deathHouse match. Long-time IPW:UK champion finally dropped the belt in September, but has continued to work for the new IPW. Still a force in PROGRESS, teaming with Mark Haskins as an extreme duo, fulfilling the same role in FCP with Clint Margera.

UKFF says: "Meandering in Progress as a face for most of the year until his heel turn and alliances with the Haskins. Terrifying and hilarious in equal measures."

Linus says: "Still a Very Big Name, Havoc's coasted a little in the UK this year, but after a serious injury kept him out of most of 2016 he deserves that. Underlined his extreme credentials and a joy to watch, whether doing hardcore, comedy, or - well - anything."

havoc.jpg

• Paid Members

No. 9 - Kid Lykos

Twitter: @KidLykos

UKFF 50 History: First year on the list!

Regular promotions during period: ATTACK! in the South West... Fight Club: PRO in Wolverhampton (and nationwide)... Lucha Forever nationwide... PROGRESS in London (and nationwide)... IPW:UK in the South East... Southside in the East of England 

An injury-plagued year for Lykos nevertheless saw him breakthrough in Fight Club: PRO, PROGRESS and RevPro, as part of the #CCK team with Chris Brookes. Held the tag titles for ATTACK!, PROGRESS, and CZW, and appeared in CHIKARA's King of Trios. Spent the last few weeks of 2017 getting blown up.

UKFF says: "One half of the hottest tag team in the country. Told to shut up a lot, but also beloved. Sadly injuries struck at the wrong time, but hopefully back stronger in 2018."

"The often in-ring highlight of the CCK tag act, the big moments in all of their tags and 6 man’s this year has often been Lykos, the CCK title win at Progress Ally Pally being the most obvious example where Lykos was a bumping and flying machine. Has paid for that with multiple injury issues this year but should rebound in 2018."

Linus says: "A rapid rise to BritWres main-eventer for the dirty wolf, who complements Chris Brookes perfectly in #CCK. Hopefully 2018 will be kinder to him injury-wise, because he's a special talent with an eye for the game."

lykos.jpg

• Paid Members

No. 8 - "Dunkzilla" Mark Davis

Twitter: @DUNKZILLADavis

UKFF 50 History: First year on the list!

Regular promotions during period: Lucha Forever nationwide... ATTACK! in the South West... Fight Club: PRO in Wolverhampton (and nationwide)... RevPro in London (and the South East)... HOP:E in the East Midlands... IPW in the South East

Celebrated his 10th anniversary in wrestling by moving to the the Wolverhampton WrestleHouse and joining the Fight Club Dojo. Spun that out into showstealing appearances as part of the Aussie Open tag-team with Kyle Fletcher, which saw them win gold in HOP:E & ATTACK! His piledriver finisher "Close Your Eyes And Count To Fuck" has to be seen to be believed.

UKFF says: "Fucking Hoss. Great eyebrows."

"A wrestler who’s been around a long time, invested in himself this year, coming over to the UK where he’s now making a name for himself as one of our own. His offence is a highlight of many a live show, both his double teams with partner Kyle Fletcher and his ridiculous “Close your eyes and count to fuck” Piledriver that has to be seen to be believed."

Linus says: "This is a man that has gotten giving punishing high fives over, to both ringside fans and his opponents. Full of charisma, and so quick for his size, Davis must wish he'd come here sooner because he's KILLING it."

davis.jpg

• Paid Members

No. 7 - "White Lightning" Mark Andrews

Twitter: @MandrewsJunior

UKFF 50 History: 8th in 2016... top 40 in 2015... 3rd in 2014... 34th in 2013... 26th in 2012... 26th in 2011

Regular promotions during period: WWE nationwide... PROGRESS in London 9and nationwide)... ATTACK! in the South West... Fight Club: PRO in Wolverhampton (and nationwide)

Finally escaped from TNA and launched straight into the WWE-UK tournament, going on to make further appearances with the brand on UK tours. Held belts in CSF, Dragon-Pro and Fight!Nation during 2017, and was a popular attraction nationwide. Wrestled less than you'd expect due to a heavy touring schedule with his band, Junior.

UKFF says: "Super duper babyface. Being stuck on a TNA contract towards the back end of 2016 worked in his favour to not get tied up with ITV/WOS and left he free to sign up with WWE’s UK division. Forever the nearly man in Progress but is their go to credible No 1 contender when required."

Linus says: "Andrews appearing in the WWE-UK tournament leant it some much-needed star power and his TV experience was clear to see. Always gives value for money and is probably the most likeable wrestler in the UK."

mark_andrews_2017_png_by_ambriegnsasylum16-db1nzhp.png

• Paid Members

No. 6 - "The Calamari Catch King" Chris Brookes

Twitter: @OBEYbrookes

UKFF 50 History: 44th in 2016... 49th in 2015

Regular promotions during period: ATTACK! in the South West... RevPro in London (and the South East)... Fight Club: PRO in Wolverhampton (and nationwide)... Lucha Forever nationwide... IPW in the South East... Southside in the East of England... Ironfist in the South West... OTT in Dublin

THE breakout star of 2017, Brookes has grown as a performer to match the increase in his reputation. Blew the roof off when he (and Kid Lykos) debuted at PROGRESS, and has become a fixture there and at RevPro, where he had a tilt at Zack Sabre Jr's British Heavyweight title. Holds the Fight Club: PRO title, and has also held tag gold in PROGRESS, CZW, ATTACK! and RevPro this year.

UKFF says: "Has been taking sick f'n tag moves across the country, great at the little things that help you stand out from the pack. Has stated he is not comfortable in singles matches compared to tags and multimans, but perhaps because of that when they do work - such as vs Sabre Jr and Chapman in Rev Pro -they feel a bit more unique"

"As far as marketing and merchandising he’s unparalleled. Brookes is ahead of the game in how to get over with a modern audience and is a lesson for all to learn."

Linus says: "Chris Brookes gets it. He understands what wrestling is and knows how to use that to its best use. He'd admit he's most at home in tag matches but he's grown as a singles competitor to the point where he's a worthy champion in a company that regularly books the rest of this top 10. Lovely bloke, too."

chris_brookes_render_png_by_oppege-dary22p.png

• Paid Members

No. 5 - Trent Seven

Twitter: @TrentSeven

UKFF 50 History: 10th in 2016

Regular promotions during period: WWE nationwide... PROGRESS in London 9and nationwide)... Fight Club: PRO in Wolverhampton (and nationwide)... ICW in Glasgow (and nationwide)... RevPro in London (and the South East)... OTT in Dublin... Lucha Forever nationwide

Ordinarily, two months as ICW champion would be a highlight of any year but Trent's activities with WWE - where he competed in the WWE-UK tournament, toured the UK in spring and autumn, and appeared at NXT tapings and house shows - eclipse even that. Held tag gold in PROGRESS and RevPro with Tyler Bate, and teamed with Pete Dunne & Bate to win CHIKARA's King of Trios. Saw the Fight Club: PRO promotion that he founded grow beyond his wildest dreams. A Good Year.

UKFF says: "Lovely haircut. Great run of matches as ICW Champion but only sporadic appearances since dropping the title. Heel promo work in Progress was the highlight of most shows. When he eventually turns on Tyler again in Progress should get a run with the Progress title. Sometimes criticised for his look but shows that innovation, being pleasant and having a good attitude does count for something in WWE."

"The funniest man in Brit Wres and it’s best promo outside of Zack Gibson, Trent may not be at the in-ring level of his British Strong Style teammates, but he carries the group in promos and personality. Seeing him peak at this stage of his career, after years of toiling and promoting, has been wonderful to see. Whether face or heel, consistently one of the most entertaining men in Brit Wres."

Linus says: "Trent is great. Forever entertaining, with the charisma of dozens of ordinary men and a snap Dragon suplex to die for, there's no-one I enjoy seeing succeed more."

trent.png

• Paid Members
On 18/01/2018 at 11:42 AM, Louch said:

If we have a poll next year on voters location and favorite promotions, it’s not gonna be a stretch to see its midlands and FCP is it 😂

I went to a few FCP shows this year, so I nominated a lot of the midlands folk even though I’m not exactly based there - but I think a big part is their prevalence elsewhere as well. The midlands has kind of taken over the English promotions this year.

I’m more surprised Havoc was so high. I think he’s been pretty terrible this year. The post-ironic “I like beer and I’m a bit of a goth” version of his character really does nothing for me – he’s just been a guy who’s there for me for most of the year. 

2 hours ago, Benno said:

I went to a few FCP shows this year, so I nominated a lot of the midlands folk even though I’m not exactly based there - but I think a big part is their prevalence elsewhere as well. The midlands has kind of taken over the English promotions this year.

I’m more surprised Havoc was so high. I think he’s been pretty terrible this year. The post-ironic “I like beer and I’m a bit of a goth” version of his character really does nothing for me – he’s just been a guy who’s there for me for most of the year. 

He swears too.

6 hours ago, Benno said:

I've never been into Havoc I have to admit but I was surprised he was as high as 10. Seems like one of the more likeable people in wrestling on twitter, but as a wrestler the whole death match/I like drinking/I like to swear shtick wears thin quickly. The rounds match vs Whiplash in FCP a bit of a nadir for me.

As for the midlands guys, I watched at least some of PCW, TIDAL, IPW, FCP, PROGRESS, Rev Pro, ATTACK!, ICW, WCPW, GOOD, Southside, Lucha Forever, Chaos, OTT last year either live or on tape and I think they are deserving of their spots. I admire Louch work in pushing Target/Scottish guys, and I'll speak up for the Northern Graps but I don't begrudge the likes of CCK and BSS their prominence.

• Paid Members

No. 4 - "Liverpool's Number One" Zack Gibson

Twitter: @ZackGibson01

Total 1st place votes in 2017: 1

UKFF 50 History: 6th in 2016... top 40 in 2015... 31st in 2014... 22nd in 2013... 30th in 2012... 45th in 2011

Regular promotions during period: PROGRESS in London (and nationwide)... RevPro in London (and the South East)... ICW in Glasgow (and nationwide)... OTT in Dublin... FutureShock in Manchester

The only one in the top 12 not to work for Fight Club: PRO, Zack Gibson makes a big impression wherever he DOES work. Current PROGRESS tag-team champion with James Drake, he also captured FutureShock and ICW Zero-G gold this year, bouncing back from the disappointment of the collapse of the World Of Sport project. One of the brave souls signed up to 5*Wrestling's weekly TV experiment, he could become a household name off the back of it.

UKFF says: "Heat machine. Easily the best heel in the UK & Ireland. Worked for every top promotion in prominent position. James Drake is 100 times more interesting now teaming with Gibson in Progress."

"The best promo in British Wrestling but also one of the best characters. Nobody has better facial reactions and nobody gets his heat. He’s mixed up “the promo” this year to some incredible results, but he’s also been consistently high level in ring. A pro’s pro who just gets better each year. Has to have a big contract in his future."

"I'm never not entertained by Zack Gibson from the moment he steps through the curtain. The fact that he's not been the standard bearer for one of the major UK independants is both a surprise and testament to the fact that he's beyond valuable wherever he's put. Never fails to deliver in the ring either. Has somehow found yet another gear for his promos this past month, can't wait to see what the new year brings for him."

Linus says: "That I only saw Zack three times in 2017 was a travesty but we moved in different circles. That he missed out on two of the "buzz" promotions but still made the top 4 says volumes about his quality, and he gets heat like no other wrestler in this list."

zack.jpg

• Paid Members

Definitely the best heel in the country. Still think Progress missed a trick not having him take the big belt in Manchester, heat would have been through the roof.

Archived