The 2017 UKFF50 - Results!

Linus

• Paid Members

Yeah, kayfabe brothers - Dunne isn't Pete's real surname, not sure about Damian. They tagged together from around 2010 after Pete unmasked as Tiger Kid through to 2016, when they broke up in Progress and Pete Dunne formed British Strong Style with Trent Seven (and later Tyler Bate).

The No Fun gimmick has done a good job of still giving Damian a USP, rather than just having him be The Other Guy in that equation.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I quite enjoy the Anti Fun Police gimmick. So simple and so effective. I personally hope him branching out the gimmick elsewhere leads to the rest of the stable getting booked with Jim & Lee Obstruction (The Hunters originally worked Attack as the Brothers Of Construction, but they turned heel and joined them) and also Los Federales Santos Jr who is hilarious, joining him some places.

• Paid Members

Dunne and Federales turned up in Chaos this week and got cheered because they were doing a run-in against heels. To their credit, on social media they are doing a great job of explaining that they don't understand what all this talk about "working babyface" is and they are just continuing to do their job as normal.

• Paid Members
Just now, cobra_gordo said:

I keep fantasy booking Deputy Dunne branching The Anti Fun Police out further and having a tag team partner called PC Gonemad. It'd be a British Right To Censor if they were made up of Daily Mail readers.

I did suggest El Phantasmo join them in Attack as El Phansafety.

3 hours ago, BomberPat said:

The Baseball Slide German Suplex is one of my favourite moves around right now - I don't know if she came up with it, but it's special enough that I only associate it with her;

I've seen Beretta doing it in NJPW after I saw Sammii doing it, but Sammii did it better

• Paid Members

No. 13 - Viper

Twitter: @MissViper91

Total 1st place votes in 2017: 0

UKFF 50 History: First year on the list!

Regular promotions during period: ICW in Glasgow (and nationwide)... WCPW nationwide... EVE in London

A strong year for the Scottish fighter, who competed in WWE's Mae Young Classic in between several tours of Japan for Stardom. At home, she was a regular for ICW, WCPW & Pro-Wrestling EVE, for whom she has been granted two dream matches in 2018.

UKFF says: "Worked a lot in Japan, and of course had the Mae Young Classic as well but delivered when she was on these shores too. Great worker, also took part in one of the most fun matches I've seen this year with a Kane vs Undertaker bout with Nixon Newell for Southside in Sheffield. Despite her size advantage over most women, she is so likeable she makes a great babyface."

"Came out of both WOS and MY classic looking great. friendly nature really comes across on screen, her look shoudl be the heel but too likable. limited in Uk Appearances as Japan and WWE kept her busy. probably last year in UK as next round of NXT female moves has to make room for her entry."

"Shone like a star in the Mae Young Classic. Inspiring, intelligent and incredibly talented in the ring. Gut tells me that we need to make the most of her before she's spirited away to sunnier climates."

Linus says: "Viper has a disarming charisma that belies her fierceness - more than once I've seen her fight with a bloodied nose and a fury that came out of nowhere. She's a world class competitor who uses her size to her advantage and trucks no dissent. Wonderful."

viper.jpg

• Paid Members

No. 12 - "Aussie Arrow" Kyle Fletcher

(aka Instagraham)

Twitter: @KyleFletcherPro

UKFF 50 History: First year on the list!

Regular promotions during period: ATTACK! in the South West... Lucha Forever nationwide... Fight Club: PRO in Wolverhampton (and nationwide)... RevPro in London (and the South East)... HOP:E in the East Midlands... IPW in the South East

Arriving in the UK in April, Fletcher made his way to the Wrestlehouse and the Fight Club: PRO dojo and his seen his stock increase month on month. Joined in Wolverhampton by Mark Davis, the pair teamed up and have won tag-team gold in ATTACK! and HOP:E, and have competed in WCPW, PROGRESS and RevPro.

UKFF says: "His pairing with partner Mark Davis is not unlike Kevin Steen and El Generico, in that they’re a team that bring out the best in each other, both in singles matches and in tags. One of the younger names on the list, still developing as a character but is well on his way in ring. Recent Progress tag match with Davis against Zack Gibson and James Drake felt like a breakout match in the promotion, where hopefully they will be heavily featured next year."

Linus says: "Out of nowhere doesn't just describe Randy Orton's finisher, it's also a pretty good way of explaining where Kyle (and his Aussie Open partner, mark Davis) came from. So good for someone so young, and only going to get better as he grows into his long, long body."

kyle.jpg

• Paid Members

No. 11 - Kay Lee Ray

Twitter: @Kay_Lee_Ray

UKFF 50 History: 35th in 2016... top 40 in 2015... 23rd in 2014... 32nd in 2013

Regular promotions during period: ICW in Glasgow (and nationwide)... Southside in the East of England... EVE in London... Fight Club: PRO in Wolverhampton (and nationwide)... WCPW nationwide

As with her compatriot Viper, Kay Lee Ray spent much of the year in Japan with Stardom, sandwiching in some US appearances with WWE for the Mae Young Classic and with Shimmer in Chicago. She was ICW Women's champion for most of 2017, and is current distaff champ in WCPW/Defiant and Southside. 

UKFF says: "just magnificent no matter who she is in the ring with. Can be heel or face, be facing male or female and never looks anything less than 100% convincing. doing well in japan, and surprising early Mae Young classic exit made sense as made finalist look strong. could go anywhere and do anything she pleased."

Linus says: "Comfortable wrestling men or women, KLR is easily the UK's top female competitor (now Nixon has departed for the US) and in the conversation for best, full stop. Always fun, but with a great angry face, I've never not enjoyed seeing KLR."

kay_lee_ray_by_getitcasey-damyoed.png

• Paid Members

Love how many women are deservedly making the list. I bloody love Viper - first time I saw her was the World of Sport reboot and, in all honesty, I didn't like her; I love a big lass heel, Aja Kong and Bull Nakano are two of my all-time favourite wrestlers, but I was disappointed with her on that show, and felt she didn't seem intense or hard-hitting enough for the role they put her in.

The first time I saw her at EVE, though, I was completely won over. Far, far better as a babyface than a heel, just an inherently likeable woman, and a great performer. Had two stellar matches over the course of EVE's She-1 against Meiko Satomura and Emi Sakura, as well as a couple of brilliant comedy matches. You could probably make a case for her being the MVP of the tournament.

Archived