The 2017 UKFF50 - Results!

Linus

• Paid Members

Soner is quality. I remember when he was green, and after a bit of an absence from FutureShock I picked it up again during the Cooper feud and was delighted with how he'd come on. I made a point to get to the show when he wrestled Travis the first time, which is unusual for me to do in this country for any given match rather than just the show/roster, so that says something about how I rate him.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

=No. 40 - Martina "The Session Moth"

(aka Kazza G, Kazza Glennon)

Twitter: @mothfromdaflats

Total 1st place votes in 2017: 0

UKFF 50 History: First year on the list!

Regular promotions during period: OTT in Dublin... EVE in London... Fight Club: PRO in Wolverhampton... Southside in the East of England... ICW in Glasgow (and nationwide)

Massive year for Martina, during which she apparently set women's wrestling back 5 years, and was banned from Canada. Then unbanned. Then banned again. A staple of OTT shows, Martina became a regular at EVE during their resurgence, and picked up gigs in Germany during a very busy year.

UKFF says: "(An absolute breakout megastar of 2017. The female Grado (Shedo?) in that she's an absolutely brilliant, bulletproof character that clicks the moment she steps through the curtains and continues right through the match and back through them again. Charmisma and energy that most would kill for. Universally loved and guaranteed to break boundaries, not least by being one of the best and most consistent female wrestling draws into 2018."

Linus says: "It's easy to misuse Martina, and a few have been guilty of that, but when you get her in the right role, as EVE have done this year, she's a delight."

martina.jpg

• Paid Members

=No. 40 - El Phantasmo

Twitter: @ElPsucks

Regular promotions during period: RevPro in London (and the South East)

When a guy from Vancouver who has been wrestling since 2005 decides to move to the UK to boost his career, you know the scene is doing something right. Based out of Wolverhampton and finding work all over - RevPro, ATTACK!, Fight Club: PRO, IPW... - he is definitely one to watch in 2018.

UKFF says: "Went from random Angelico knock off dude on a Rev Pro show to a highlight of many a show with some fantastic top rope spots."

Linus says: "Slotted into the WrestleHouse family in Wolverhampton, and a highlight of any show he's booked on, a full year and some more high profile bookings will see him rocket up this list."

el+p.jpg

• Paid Members

=No. 38 - Tyson T-Bone

Twitter: @Tyson_T_Bone

UKFF 50 History: 19th in 2016... top 40 in 2015... 25th in 2014... 18th in 2013... 46th in 2012... 21st in 2011... 31st in 2010

Regular promotions during period: PCW in the North of England... FutureShock in Manchester... Grand-Pro in Hindley

Long-time list feature made it big early in 2017 when he featured in the WWE-UK tournament, and also made several house show appearances with the main brand, and with NXT at Download. At home he remains a huge part of the North West scene, featuring heavily in PCW, FutureShock & Grand-Pro's storylines, but wasn't used regularly by PROGRESS. 

UKFF says: "'Oh, but they don't look like they could actually win a fight.' is something said fairly frequently about modern era pro wrestlers. T-Bone doesn't just look like he'd win a fight but that he'd batter your mates, your family and walk off with your girlfriend. Tattooed terror has never been less than brilliant but this year a twist to his character really gave him the chance to have some fun. An epic
brawler and underrated story teller. When he comes out you even the casual fans know that shit's about to get real."

Linus says: "A perennial fave that does what it says on his tin: fight. Equally adept at working both sides of the heel/face alignment, he's one of those rare and sought-after beasts - the old dependable."

Tyson-T-Bone-01.jpg

• Paid Members

=No. 38 - Nixon Newell

Twitter: @NixonNewell

UKFF 50 History: 16th in 2016

Regular promotions during period: Southside in the East of England

The worst-kept secret in BritWres - that Nixon was off to WWE - was finally revealed early in 2017 and she embarked on a lengthy farewell tour, facing favourite opponents. Part of the PROGRESS Women's tournament, and held both WCPW Women's and DDT 24/7 gold, before getting injured shortly before the Mae Young Classic after reporting to Orlando.

UKFF says: "A full year on U.K. shores would have seen her make the top 15 I think."

Linus says: "Joint 38th on this list is still probably too low for someone of Nixon's quality, even if she only completed 4 and half months on the scene, but it also speaks to the high regard in which she's held that a business with a short memory still thinks highly of her. She will KILL it in WWE this year."

nixon.jpg

Tyson gave me one of my favourite moments last year at Target, he went to flick a guys glasses and they flew halfway across the room. Even his post match going over to apologise was met with the guy still being raging about it. 

Nixon was someone I had difficulty believing could be as good as people said she was. I finally saw her in action this year, and it would turn out to be 5 times in the space of about a month, and she was great. I'm not a big intergender guy but she was one woman that could go in there with the likes of Brookes and Banks and I did genuinely forget the gender thing.

• Paid Members

I'm positively in love with Nixon. She's a great wrestler and I adore her enthusiasm. She's also got great comedic timing. Just a joy to watch. Marry me.

• Paid Members

Nixon is someone I only actually got to see live twice, as before last year I was only tending to make it to two or three shows a year at the most. I'm glad I did, as she's absolutely brilliant, definitely lives up to the hype. Gutted she got injured, as I'd think she was definitely on track for a decent run in the Mae Young Classic. Shows what an impression she left on people that she signed with WWE early in the year, was out injured for most of it, yet still made the list.

• Paid Members

=No. 35 - Josh Bodom

Twitter: @JoshBodom

UKFF 50 History: 32nd in 2016... NR in 2015... 30th in 2014... 49th in 2012

Regular promotions during period: Rev Pro in London (and the South East)... Fight!Nation on the South Coast

Spent much of the year as interim and then undisputed British Cruiserweight champion for RevPro, although lost quickly to Jushin Liger in the British J Cup, a loss he avenged a month later. Made in-roads to the continent in Italy, and ran some shows in Dorset under the Strike! name.

UKFF says: "Underrated doesn’t begin to tell the story with Josh Bodom. One of the best pure heels around, a great promo and no slouch in the ring, the story remains the same for Josh Bodom in 2017 as it did in 2016, with it being criminal that he’s not used more prominently outside of Rev Pro. Carried the Rev Pro Cruiser division and did great work putting over matches with Will Ospreay and spoiling Jushin Thunder Liger’s big win at the J Cup this year. If there’s any justice, he breaks out big time in 2018, both as a Heavyweight in Rev Pro and in the other big name promotions."

Linus says: "Josh Bodom is incredibly talented and incredibly good at being a dick. How much of the latter is a shoot is debatable but it's working for him in RevPro. Needs to work more elsewhere, with some Midlands and Northern dates a must."

JOSH-BODOM-BRITISH-WRESTLING-626023.jpg

I get the sense that the mystery backstage beef involving Bodom and PROGRESS has held him back a bit, I like most of what I've seen and seems as though he'd do well there

• Paid Members

=No. 35 - Bubblegum

Twitter: @PipBubblegum

UKFF 50 History: 5th in 2016... top 40 in 2015... 14th in 2014... 26th in 2013... 16th in 2012... 14th in 2010... 1st in 2009... 3rd in 2008... 5th in 2007... 37th in 2006

Regular promotions during period: PCW in the North of England... Southside in the East of England... Lucha Forever nationwide... FutureShock in Manchester... Grand-Pro in Hindley... RevPro in London (and the South East)

A year of two halves, thanks to injury, but Bubblegum is back as strong as ever. Has mostly put to bed his rascal gimmick in favour of being a strong fan-favourite nationwide, and won the inaugural Kris Travis Tag-Team Invitational at ATTACK! Held Speed King gold for Southside, and very much in demand in his native North West.

UKFF says: "Eat. Sleep. Have tremendous main event. Leave. Felt like that covered most of Bubblegum's year. Tore it up with the likes of Penta and Xavier in PCW, Fenix in Southside, and Ridgeway in Lucha Forever."

"He's not just a rascal, he's also one of the best wrestlers in the world. Various reasons beyond his control have kept him from having a chance to shine through opportunities afforded to some of his peers. Nevertheless this doesn't one iota diminish the sheer brilliance he's carried with him to every match. Hero or villian, he's an incredible asset to any show he's part of."

Linus says: "Bubblegum is one of a handful of scene regulars I didn't get to see much of this year, because he concentrated his work locally in the north west. However, he is being used more regularly for RevPro, and I hope I get to see him soon in 2018."

Bubblegumlead.jpg

• Paid Members

=No. 35 - "The Regulator" Wolfgang

Twitter: @WolfgangYoung

UKFF 50 History: 41st in 2016... NR in 2015... NR in 2014... 29th in 2013... 31st in 2012... NR in 2011... 49th in 2010... 49th in 2009... 22nd in 2008... 15th in 2007... 44th in 2006

Regular promotions during period: ICW in Glasgow (and nationwide)... WWE nationwide... PBW in Ayrshire

Picked to be a part of the WWE-UK tournament last January, Wolfgang ended up being a focussed-on competitor for the brand throughout 2017, with appearances on house shows, NXT TV, and at Axxess. Occasional appearances in Fight Club: PRO and PROGRESS have supplemented his work in Scotland, where he was ICW champion at the beginning of the year.

UKFF says: "Must be one of the few people south of the border who thought him coming out at Chapter 55 was a good thing.

"Big lad that looks like a fighter and moves like one too. Wasn't surprised in the slightest that the Regulator was chosen from the ranks of the Scottish scene to be part of WWE's UK tournament. An exceptional talent that can Indy it up with the best of them but doesn't look out of place amongst the megastars."

Linus says: "I was among the many non-ICW regulars surprised by Wolfgang in January, and while that momentum has slipped a little when compared to Dunne, Bate & Seven, he's still turning heads in Scotland, the North West, the Midlands, and London. It feels like a broken record, but he needs to work more nationwide to truly gain that following the rest of the WWE-UK stars have."

wolfg.jpg

• Paid Members

No. 34 - James Drake

Twitter: @JamesDrake_GYT

Regular promotions during period: FutureShock in Manchester... WWE nationwide... PROGRESS in London (and nationwide)

Another WWE-UK competitor, Drake has continued to be looked upon favourably by WWE, using him for house shows and even an episode of Raw and 205 Live when they were touring the UK. Works dour heel most places but has become a big hit as a personality-laden babyface in FutureShock. Holds the PROGRESS tag-team titles with Zack Gibson.

UKFF says: "A matter of time before he's recognised as one of the best wrestlers to emerge of the current generation. Sly, sneaky heel and one half of the fantastic GYV with Zack Gibson in PROGRESS where they're essentially the UK's Revival. Leader of an invading force in Chaos. Top rung babyface in FutureShock where his long anticipated turn on Gibson at the 13th Anniversary blew the roof. His All Bins Are Legal
match with the sickeningly underrated Damon Leigh is one of my favourite things of 2017, let alone favourite matches. JD can do it all."

Linus says: "Drake split opinions like no other name wrestler in 2017, with his biggest fans backing him to the hilt and his doubters just turning off. I saw him right at the year's end, and he looked comfortable as an angry fool, a role which has a rich tradition in the British graps game."

drake.jpg

Archived