The 2017 UKFF50 - Results!

Linus

• Paid Members

I've been much happier with Drake in Progress since he's had Gibson to bounce off. Massive improvement in personality, previously to me he was mechanically sound but bereft of anything distinguishing. Now I look forward to his matches.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His mannerisms when Trent has been mocking Gibson at Progress have been great. Cracking head of hair and would like to see him up in Scotland next year 

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Linus said:

Sorry for the delay, been a bit busy in my actual life for a change. That and the fact that writing where the next guy wrestled last year will take a billion years...

Si.

• Paid Members

=No. 32 - El Ligero

Twitter: @Ligero1

Total 1st place votes in 2017: 0

UKFF 50 History: 11th in 2016... top 40 in 2015... 5th in 2014... 1st in 2013... 1st in 2012... 1st in 2011... 4th in 2010... 3rd in 2009... 2nd in 2008... 6th in 2007... 22nd in 2006... 42nd in 2005

Regular promotions during period: WCPW nationwide... Southside in the East of England... MegaSlam nationwide... Lucha Forever nationwide... HOP:E in the East Midlands... Chaos in Bristol... 3CW in the North East... Tidal in Leeds... Kamikaze in Birmingham... PROGRESS in London (and nationwide)

Three-time former winner is still very much in demand across the UK, racking up almost 300 dates in 2017. Won the inaugural Kris Travis Tag-Team Invitational at ATTACK!, and is currently Southside tag champ. Also held gold in HOP:E and Chaos in 2017. One of the few wrestlers you'll see doing the newer, cult BritWres dates and traditional, old school ones. A man for all seasons.

UKFF says: "Not quite as ubiquitous as previous years as featured less in high profile promotions but when you did see him he delivered. When you have worked as many matches as him you are very very comfortable at doing this job, from Project Lucha fun with Kirby, to back and forth with Bubblegum, to street fights with HT Drake."

"There are few better than El Ligero anywhere in the world. Safest bet for a cracking match with anyone, anywhere, any time. Even the hardest hardcore fans can't get enough of him and first time British wrestling attendees warm to him like nobody else."

Linus says: "The only man to appear on every UKFF50 makes a comfortable mid-list slot, which is very fitting for a guy who is dependable, entertaining, always there (when was the last time you heard of Ligs being double-booked or no-showing?), and still has lots to give to the scene."

ligero.jpg

• Paid Members

=No. 32 - Sha Samuels

Twitter: @ShaSamuels

UKFF 50 History: 25th in 2016... top 40 in 2015... 38th in 2014... 44th in 2013... NR in 2012... 24th in 2011... 30th in 2010... 35th in 2009... 37th in 2008... 42nd in 2007... 20th in 2006

Regular promotions during period: ICW in Glasgow (and nationwide)... PCW in the North of England... RevPro in London 9and the South East)... PWE in Ayrshire

A relatively quiet year for Sha has seen him consolidate his dates in a small number of places. Has been most prominent in ICW, where he formed the Kinky Party with Jack Jester, but also enjoyed decent runs in RevPro and PCW.

UKFF says: "Somehow took the stale East End Butcher heel character and reinvented himself as a moonsaulting babyface. Rowdy face/tweener Sha is a hell of a lot of fun, and has breathed new life into his career."

Linus says: "Sha is one of the unbridled joys of BritWres, equally at home doing comedy or playing it straight and mean. I don't see nearly enough of him, because he doesn't work the promotions I tend to go to, but he'd be one of the first people you'd look at if you were booking a show."

shabrace2.jpg

• Paid Members

No. 31 - Rampage Brown

Twitter: @RampageBrown

UKFF 50 History: 13th in 2016... top 40 in 2015... 7th in 2014... 8th in 2013... 27th in 2012

Regular promotions during period: WCPW nationwide... Absolute in Newcastle... ICW in Glasgow (and nationwide)... 3CW in the North East... FutureShock in Manchester

Began the year by losing the Atlas title in PROGRESS and ended it by making a triumphant return to the promotion (with music!). In the meantime, Rampage appeared widely across the north, where he also has a training school, and held the Tidal title for well over a year before losing it at year's end to HT Drake.

UKFF says: "NOW IS THE TIME! A superstar, a proper heavyweight bear of a man with a quiet charisma and a pure don't-fuck-with-me aura. When he emerges you know it's going to be something memorable. Epic feud with Tyson T-Bone in FutureShock led to belters with James Drake, Zack Gibson and many more. Hero's welcome for his PROGRESS return is proof that there's plenty right with the world."

Linus says: "How is Rampage Brown not a worldwide star? While the likes of Michael Elgin, Jeff Cobb, and Matt Riddle are (rightly) everywhere, Rampage sticks to his usual haunts and that makes me sad. If there is one wrestler perfect for Japan in the UK, it's Rampage. Now rise to your feet!"

rampage.jpg

• Paid Members

No. 30 - "Flying" Mike Bird

Twitter: @FlyingMikeBird

UKFF 50 History: 45th in 2016... 41st in 2015

Regular promotions during period: ICW in Glasgow (and nationwide)... ATTACK! in the South West... Pro-Wrestling Chaos in Bristol... Dragon-Pro in Newport... PROGRESS in London (and nationwide)

Kept busy in the south west with ATTACK!, Chaos, and Dragon-Pro, but did his most high-profile work with ICW, where he held the Tag-Team titles with Wild Boar for 9 months, before losing them on the huge Fear & Loathing show. Has seen action with PROGRESS and will soon start as IPW's new head trainer.

UKFF says: "Had a long reign as ICW tag champ (with Wild Boar), their program with Polo Promotions would have benefited from a break away from each other as it felt stale by end. Seen in solos in Target Wrestling and is one of the nicest guys I have spent time talking with."

Linus says: "There are some wrestlers who get by on charisma, and some who are great in-ring but have little else. Mike Bird is not either of those, because he is never less than entertaining AND hits very, very hard. Even getting turned into a pickle didn't stop him wrestling."

Bird2.png

• Paid Members

=No. 27 - Jody Fleisch

Twitter: @FleischJerome

UKFF 50 History: NR in 2016... NR in 2015... NR in 2014... NR in 2013... NR in 2012... NR in 2011... NR in 2010... NR in 2009... NR in 2008... 36th in 2007... 5th in 2006... 5th in 2005

Regular promotions during period: IPW:UK in the South East... ICW in Glasgow (and nationwide)... XWA in Colchester & London

A comeback year for the veteran, who missed what were probably his prime years doing stuff outside of wrestling. Held the XWA Frontier Sports title, and reached the final of Chikara's Rey de Voladores tournament. Also found himself in demand from ICW and even ventured across to the US again, for AIW.

UKFF says: "The Renaissance Man. He’s just great ain’t he. I will never bore watching his matches. Regular in ICW and XWA. Will most likely get bored at some point and disappear again as is the way."

Linus says: "I thought the day I'd see a crowd so passionately behind Jody were long gone but the Chikara date was a perfect encapsulation of an unlikely comeback. Hopefully he can stay injury-free and keep it up!"

jodyfleisch.jpg

• Paid Members

=No. 27 - BT Gunn

Twitter: @BT_Gunn

UKFF 50 History: 42nd in 2016... NR in 2015... NR in 2014... 43rd in 2013... 37th in 2012... 29th in 2011... 29th in 2010... 30th in 2009

Regular promotions during period: ICW in Glasgow (and nationwide)... WCPW nationwide... PBW in Ayrshire... Southside in the East of England... BCW in Lanarkshire

Reigning BCW & ICW champion, where he also holds the Zero-G title for the latter, Gunn has had a banner year after breaking away (at least in ICW) from the New Age Kliq. Held the Southside title for a spell (and also had success in Barcelona), he's been a popular attraction all over Scotland and increasingly into England.

UKFF says: "A great year across ICW ending in Zero G and Heavyweight title reigns at year end. Split from Renfrew/ NAK in most places and flourishing as a solo act. A lack of enthusiasm for taking the mic is what I believe limits his chances going forward, as in-ring he can do anything."

Linus says: "There are some wrestlers who just scream ICW and I'd rank Gunn with those. With the popularity of that promotion, this is a good thing."

BT GunnBTGunn2.png

Was gonna say, pretty bad timing for Bird heh..

On a better note, I only started going to shows this year and Fleisch v Doug Williams was the first match I saw, which was fitting. Also meant the first move I saw live was a moonsault to the outside haha. Him v Jonny Storm at later XWA show was fantastic, it was fully like it was 2003!

Archived