The 2017 UKFF50 - Results!

Linus

• Paid Members

=No. 27 - Jordan Devlin

Twitter: @Jordan_Devlin1

Total 1st place votes in 2017: 0

UKFF 50 History: First year on the list!

Regular promotions during period: OTT in Dublin... Fight Club: PRO in Wolverhampton (and nationwide)... ICW in Glasgow (and nationwide)

Breakout year for an Irish staple who hadn't created many waves in the UK. Chosen to be a part of the WWE-UK tournament, and used on WWE TV when they were in the UK, Devlin has continued with OTT - where he ended the year as champion - and also picked up bookings with ICW and Fight Club: PRO, where he is fast becoming a regular.

UKFF says: "HEAD. Break out year for the Finn Balor student. Won over the typically tough ICW fans in a blood soaked match with Trent Seven for the ICW Title. The man in OTT. Surprised many when booked as a heel vs. Martin Stone in the WWE U.K. Tournament but took to his role as the protagonist very well."

"After a poor WWE UK appearance that would have been most people’s unfortunate introduction to Devlin, he set about changing people’s opinions with spectacular results. Had ICW’s match of the year in Liverpool after hardway blood lit fire under him and he’s not looked back since, dragging the best OTT match of the year out of Moose and delivering great matches in Fight Club Pro. Would be a great addition to the regular Progress roster and hopefully will be seen more in the UK in 2018 whether WWE UK takes off or not."

Linus says: "I was incredibly underwhelmed by Devlin at the start of the year and ended it really, really impressed. In between was some hard graft and some great wrestling, with no little character work, and he's rightfully spoken of as one of 'our' best."

Jordan.jpg

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
1 hour ago, Linus said:

Surprised many when booked as a heel vs. Martin Stone in the WWE U.K. Tournament but took to his role as the protagonist very well."

Antagonist.

• Paid Members

No. 26 - "Superbad" Kip Sabian

Twitter: @TheKipSabian

Regular promotions during period: Lucha Forever nationwide... WAW in Norfolk... Southside in the East of England... HOP:E in the East Midlands... IPW:UK in the South East... SWA in Telford

Big year for the 8-year wrestler, who had previously never ventured far out of East Anglia. Used the spotlight Lucha Forever gave him to pick up other bookings, with 2018 looking a lot busier than even a fairly brisk 2017. 

UKFF says: "Superbad? Will be the breakout star this year. Trained by the Knights and it’s shines through in his clear heel work and crispness. Maybe should lay off so many flashy moves as generally this produces a positive reaction from audiences. The only person in my top 15 who hasn’t featured in any of the big U.K. promotions this year."

Linus says: "One of my breakout stars of 2017, it's actually shocking to see he's been wrestling for so long. But, for whatever reason, WAW exists in its own world, and the rest of us seldom get to hear what's special there. Happily, that changed for Kip."

kip_sabian_render__by_eh76-dbao1sb.png

• Paid Members

As one of the folks who exists down here in the little world of WAW, really pleased to see Kip getting out there more.

Been a favourite of mine for a while, and he's come on leaps & bounds the last year or so. Think he's been able to go full time wrestling now, and I always enjoy seeing someone reaching that stage on making their full living doing what they love.

• Paid Members

No. 25 - "The Pansexual Phenomenon" Jack Sexsmith

Twitter: @TheJackSexsmith

UKFF 50 History: 37th in 2016

Regular promotions during period: PROGRESS in London (and nationwide)... ACW in London

Second year on the list for the perfect underdog, who was part of some big storylines with PROGRESS this year. Latterly moved to Wolverhampton to train at the Fight Club Dojo, which will increase his bookings and hone his skills. Attempting, in some places, to tone down his outrageous gimmick a little.

UKFF says: "Over like a rover in Progress. Appeared out of his depth against Haskins/Havoc in Manchester. Moving to the Wolves WrestleHouse should improve his in ring work."

"Could be my pick for the most improved wrestler of the year and that's not meant in a backhanded way. Could have rested on his character, thought "I'm over, that's enough" as others *coughGZRScough* have in the past. Instead he's worked and worked on every aspect of his craft and it's paying dividends for the pansexual phenomenon."

Linus says: "Sympathetic and empathetic, Sexsmith is a promoter's dream, and he has legions of devoted fans, for whom he has genuinely changed their lives for the better. He can also wrestle. A star."

jack.jpg

I really don’t get the love for sexsmith, not to be this far up the list ahead of others. He’s been carried/ taken a hiding in most matches I have seen, and the condom gimmick seems to be one people are afraid to say is silly in the supposed straight up wrestling company that progress is meant to be. Hopefully his discarding of it at unboxing sees a move away from him being a gay wrestler, to being a wrestler who is gay,  concentrating on getting over on in ring skills than silly gimmick stuff, as he can certainly sell a beating well. 

• Paid Members

No. 24 - Mark Haskins

Twitter: @ThisIsHaskins

UKFF 50 History: 7th in 2016... top 40 in 2015... 12th in 2014... 7th in 2013... 12th in 2012... 4th in 2011... 8th in 2010... 8th in 2009... 29th in 2008

Regular promotions during period: PROGRESS in London (and nationwide)... Lucha Forever nationwide... OTT in Dublin... Fight Club: PRO in Wolverhampton (and nationwide)... HOP:E in the East Midlands... IPW in the South East

Ended 2016 having to retire through injury but came back early in 2018 with hardly a step missed. Enjoyed a four-month reign as OTT champion, and is the current (last?) holder of the Lucha Forever title. Used reguarly by PWG, and still a big part of PROGRESS.

UKFF says: "Angry. Not seen a bad match from this fella all year. Making waves over in North America aswell. Wouldn’t be surprised to see ROH try and sign him at some point. New heel team in Progress has been fun so far."

Linus says: "I joke that Haskins looks like he's on something but that's a tribute to his intensity. I'd like to see more heel work, because he's excelling at that of late, and it'd be super sweet if someone gave him a storyline other than 'chasing the title' - that lack of diversity might explain his relatively low ranking."

mark_haskins_render__2_by_rendermaker-db8asd5.png

• Paid Members

No. 23 - "Smashmouth" Chris Ridgeway

Twitter: @ChrisXRiddy

UKFF 50 History: 29th in 2016

Regular promotions during period: PCW in the North of England... Lucha Forever nationwide... SWA in Telford... Southside in the East of England... Fight!Nation on the south coast

A move to Liverpool from Barrow midway through 2016 has paid off for Ridgeway, with more bookings in higher profile places, culminating in a solid run with PCW and debuts for PROGRESS and RevPro.

UKFF says: "Been a standout on the Northern scene for a while, and this year a few more people started to pay attention. Very good in ring, fine series of matches with Dean Allmark in PCW."

"Kicks. Love his strong style offence. Trained by Jonny Moss and you can tell by his quality and believability. Had a few crackers in ICW and Fight Nation/IPW. Will rise to the top echelon of Progress following his strong showings so far."

Linus says: "Ridgeway finally made his PROGRESS debut after what seems like years of waiting in 2017 and impressed off the bat. His hard-hitting style is perfect for modern BritWres and I can't wait to see what happens when someone really runs with him."

ridgeway.jpg

8 hours ago, Louch said:

I really don’t get the love for sexsmith... 

Wow, I’m not the only one?! He’s in the same category as Martina for me, a one note gimmick that stops being funny after about the third time you see it, and pretty fucking terrible in the ring... but granted, the crowds at shows continue to lap it up, so I’m clearly in the minority.

My mind is also pretty blown that Kip Sabian’s been wrestling for eight years!  Was he 12 when he started?!  Handsome, young-looking bastard...

14 hours ago, firstnameunknown said:

Wow, I’m not the only one?! He’s in the same category as Martina for me, a one note gimmick that stops being funny after about the third time you see it, and pretty fucking terrible in the ring... but granted, the crowds at shows continue to lap it up, so I’m clearly in the minority.

My mind is also pretty blown that Kip Sabian’s been wrestling for eight years!  Was he 12 when he started?!  Handsome, young-looking bastard...

That makes 3 of us on Sexsmith, just don't get what people see in him. 

• Paid Members

=No. 21 - Stevie Xavier

(aka Stevie Boy)

Twitter: @steveieboyxavier

UKFF 50 History: 47th in 2016

Regular promotions during period: ICW in Glasgow (and nationwide)... PBW in Ayrshire... Southside in the East Of England... Source in Glasgow... BCW in Lanarkshire

A solid year for the former Bucky Boy, leading the Filthy Generation with real life girlfriend Kay Lee Ray. Currently holds the Southside Speed King title, as well as the PBW Heavyweight, BCW Openweight, and Rock n Wrestle tag-team titles (with BT Gunn). Kept very busy in Scotland, he made an appearance at Fight Club: PRO, with more dates perhaps to come further south.

UKFF says: "In 2017 he stood up as his own man and never looked below anyone in-ring or on the 'mic. He should be ICW's next headliner, and is now being used to bring others up in his Filthy Generation faction."

Linus says: "It's always good to see someone grow out of a sometimes-reductive gimmick, and Stevie is becoming a headline act in his own right."

steviespeed.jpg

48 minutes ago, chelsea2298 said:

That makes 3 of us on Sexsmith, just don't get what people see in him. 

I think he's a great underdog in the ring, inherently likeable with really good selling and I appreciate he's toning down the comedy aspects recently. Think him and Gibson at SSS16 was great, those two have real chemistry, and even though he was too injured for a proper showcase, really enjoyed his match with ZSJ too. Him with his arm in a sling looking like the gutsiest guy ever, before Zack reluctantly put him away 

• Paid Members

=No. 21 - Jinny

Twitter: @JinnyCouture

Regular promotions during period: PROGRESS in London (and nationwide)... RevPro in London (and the South East)... Pro-Wrestling EVE in London... Chaos in Bristol

With women's wrestling in the Uk taking huge steps in 2017, Jinny was front and centre, almost single-handedly representing the fairer sex on RevPro cards - where she became their inaugural Women's champion - and continuing to be a focal part of PROGRESS. Also Maiden of Chaos in Bristol, and a heat machine in EVE, it's been a strong year for the fashionista.

UKFF says: "A woman whose gimmick isn’t that she’s a woman. Prominent matches in Progress and during Rev Pro’s Jinny invitational. Has come a long way from the terrible match against Pollyanna at Progress SSS16 2015."

Linus says: "I'm slightly torn on Jinny, in that her improvement in the ring hasn't been matched by a progression of her gimmick. A little change-up to a fully three-dimensional character and we're on!"

jinny.jpg

Archived