Minor News & Random Shit

Egg Shen

Jordan Breen on Sherdog's decline, substance abuse, and other subjects:

Breen is a bit marmite. You either find him to be pretentious and hyperbolic, or well-informed and passionate. I have always been in the latter camp.

It's a shame that he's gone through some rough times. I only follow him through his Bloody Elbow articles these days, but I did listen to a podcast he was on a few years ago where he talked about how much he loathed Manny Pacquiao for his comments about drug users and transgenders. It was really difficult to listen to him. It wasn't that he was wrong with what he was saying about Pacquiao - far from it - it was more that he was clearly in distress.

Fingers crossed that he's now found the right balance in his life. 

3 hours ago, jimufctna24 said:

Gross's articles for The Athletic are now free to view for non-subscribers - https://theathletic.com/author/josh-gross/

I don't actually mind Gross going to be honest, him and Luke Thomas sound like they actively hate MMA for the most part so maybe he'll be happy now that he can pursue something he actually enjoys instead.

Like bursting footballs that kids kick into his yard or something.

• Paid Members

former WBO Middleweight Boxing Champ Hassam N'Dam has signed to fight MMA with Ares FC.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/platform/amp/2020/6/9/21285751/former-world-boxing-champion-hassan-ndam-transitions-to-mma-ares-fc-news?__twitter_impression=true

maxresdefault.jpg

Bit late in his career to be making the switch but Ares are signing some interesting fighters, a mix of good fighters, veterans and a sprinkling of the freak show. Got a bit of a Japanese MMA vibe going on. 

• Paid Members

Jim mentioned it in the Twitter thread but there's loads of fighters coming out and having a pop at old UFC matcmaker, Joe Silva. Here's some quotes:

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/platform/amp/2020/6/14/21290735/ufc-veterans-share-stories-about-hobbit-dirt-bag-former-matchmaker-joe-silva?__twitter_impression=true

I guess a random shit thread is the right place to ask this?

Is Shinya Aoki worth a toss today? I just saw his named mentioned for an upcoming DDT wrestling show and it looks like he's still been fighting regularly too, he was a big deal with the PRIDE/DREAM nerds like myself but I lost interest in MMA around '11?