General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, Briefcase said:

I think his point is that Spurs have a small club mentality. I get the new stadium but Spurs should be kicking on and adding players to the squad.

Just feels like Spurs are happy to win nothing because they play the Tottenham way and thats all that matters.

Who are you referring to? A massive part of the fan base is pissed that we haven't signed anyone. Shit, I'm not best pleased myself but I understand the difficulties we are facing, both financial and in terms of getting in players that will actually improve our *squad* who are happy to not nessercarily start every game. 

Plus, it's not like we've got a history of not spending money. Just recently, where we have spent big it hasn't turned out so well. I'd be delighted if Onomah, Walker-Peters and N'Koudou can push on and give us that missing strength in depth. 

Conte is just annoyed by Levy saying that current spending is unsustainable. Part of that is Levy justifying his tight fistededness, but he's also right to be concerned. I haven't really seen much talk about the idea that all the money flying around has created a bubble that could very well burst. It's alright for the likes of Chelsea and City, whose owners have almost unlimited funds, but what about the likes of Everton or West Ham? Spending all this cash on transfer fees and wages, what happens to clubs like that if the bubble bursts? The small club mentality thing is nonsense. If you're a Chelsea or a City, it barely matters what your revenue looks like or if you're filling your stadium because they've got billionaire owners who dgaf about losses. United have years of success, and all the revenue streams that brings, to be able to go out and spend 70m on a striker. Spurs haven't had that. Our revenue has been hamstring by our stadium capacity and our lack of real success on the pitch. The success we have had recently, such as it is, has already borne fruit in terms of the Nike deal, improved terms with AIA, naming rights still to be decided. Once the stadium opens, we can spend. 

And actually, you're right. Many supporters would be loathe to see us play like, say, a Mourinho team - despite the buttload of trophies he's won. Playing football the "Tottenham way" is all this club has had for many years, so for some supporters turning our back on that to win trophies wouldn't be something they'd want. Me? I'm sure there's a balance to be struck. And hell, we finished second last year playing like a Spurs team is "supposed" to play. Who's to say we can't win the title playing that way, with the team we've got right now? A lot of stuff would have to go our way in terms of injuries and the form of other teams and, of course, there's the Wembley factor. But stranger things have happened. 

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
57 minutes ago, Briefcase said:

Just feels like Spurs are happy to win nothing because they play the Tottenham way and thats all that matters.

I love picking away at Spurs, it's one of my favourite things, but Christ what a load of old shit this post is.

Are title winning teams ever really boring and defensive or shit to watch? I know Mourinho gets a lot of stick and that's fine but his best teams could dominate and over power opposition but shut up shop when needed.  City, Leicester, Wengers Arsenal were never boring title winners. Fergies shit United team are the only team in recent memory that I can think of that were shit to watch but he kind of gets a pass there.

• Paid Members

I think it'd be very difficult to win the title in this day and age by playing boring football. Half the time the mentality for a lot of teams seems to be it doesn't matter how many they score, we will just score more. That's not backed up by any facts, mind you. Just a bit of a perception. It was certainly the Tottenham way for a period of time. 

• Paid Members

If you thought that was baffling, for today's friendly against Valerenga, MUTV had United legends Quinton Fortune and Bojan Djordjic as studio guests.

• Members

Doesn't Fortune work for the club as a scout or something? 

@PunkStep you'll  be pleased to know I actually went to the Emirates today. Eldests first game. It now means she's seen her team win as many trophies live as I have seen mine. 

Still hate the ground. Soulless shithole. 

Archived