General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Lacazette is an excellent signing for Arsenal and an upgrade on Giroud, in my opinion, would have loved to see him at United, personally. Think he will be a better fit for Arsenal's style as well.

Not as good a signing as Lukaku though obvs.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Just now, tiger_rick said:

I'm not. I was looking at Soccerbase. It counts them as 05/06 because they signed in May. You're right, that's not as bad. They signed Kalou and Mikel too who'd be big players long term. Neither Shevchenko nor Ballack were anything like they expected but that isn't a lack of ambition.

I disagree on Ballack. He was superb for us without ever necessarily racking up stupendous stats. He did so much work in an almost Makelele like way and consequently, wasn't noticed. Him leaving after the 2010 title win made a big difference on the pitch and also in terms of attitude in the dressing room. 

• Paid Members

Anyone who knows me knows I’ve never, ever liked that Lukaku cunt (I get stick at Goodison for barely applauding his goals) and I’m absolutely made up he’s gone.

If we get shot of Barkley, I’d be delighted with Gylfi - and his bulge - as a replacement.

• Paid Members

Bit of an odd one that just reeks of capitalism more than sentiment, D-Mal, but I still think he’s got a year or two left in him.

I mean, I’ve never hated the chap. Playing for your lot, he was subject to a torrent of horrific abuse from all corners of Goodison when he kissed the badge and to be honest I’d have probably done the same thing as he did out of spite (although I fear kissing badges now after the bout of gastroenteritis I suffered a while back) as I’m a petulant cunt when I want to be and completely understood why he did it.

I’d be happy to see him back, but 250,000 a week is fucking scandalous for any player, let alone somebody who’s allegedly coming ‘home to where he belongs’. Very torn about the whole thing.

• Paid Members

I really can't see how he'd make much of a difference on the pitch himself, especially with the players they already have and with this talent coming in. But off the pitch - in the dressing room and on the training ground - he will be extremely useful. He's won everything at club level and has the mentality that others can learn from and he could help so many players improve I reckon. But £250k a week for that? Nah.

• Paid Members

Lukaku is my boy, so I'm pretty disappointed he's ended up going to Man U. Hopefully Chelsea get their act together and sign someone excellent. I dont think anyone else who's good enough is available though. Concerning. 

Echo reckon we're trying to get Rooney down to £150k. I'd love him to come back. What's the point of footy if you're not up for fairy tales like this.

I went all gooey at Duncan's testimonial when he came on for the last 5 minutes and so did 99% of the ground. Seeing nackered old man Rooney (he was 29 at the time like) in an Everton kit when I'd only ever seen precocious brass bothering Rooney (18 at the time) wearing it before got me more emotional than I'd expected it to. Think it was something to do with me own mortality, you don't get those years back lads. They're gone, and so will the rest of us be soon enough.

So yeah I'd have him back.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Duke said:

Lukaku is my boy, so I'm pretty disappointed he's ended up going to Man U. Hopefully Chelsea get their act together and sign someone excellent. I dont think anyone else who's good enough is available though. Concerning. 

There are loads of good strikers around, you'll get someone. Obviously I hope you don't but there you go.

On Rooney, I'd be fearful if I was an Everton fan if he's being lined up as being their main striker to replace Lukaku or, even worse, to replace Barkley in midfield when he presumably leaves. I'm not entirely sure what either party gets out of this. Rooney is done and dusted as a top half Premier League player, he peaked years ago.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

Isn't he being lined up in the number 10 role behind the striker?

If Koeman (out) can get him to actually do that, fine.

The problem is that no United manager that has tried to play him there has managed to get him to stay there. The dopey twat thinks he's got Cantona privileges when he plays there and ends up all over the pitch, trying to do everything himself, and invariably not performing the role he should be. He's never learned and I'd be amazed if he does now.

• Paid Members

I always thought he'd make a really, really good deep lying playmaker late on in his career. Perhaps not on the level of a Pirlo, but as good as this country can produce.

He has the vision, the footballing brain, the touch and the ability to do it, which would be ideal as the role can suit somebody with limited mobility. The problem is, as Devon says, he'll do what he wants and end up all over the pitch. Such a shame, because had he started that transition a few years ago he'd still be brilliant in that role today.

Rooney on £150K on, say, a two year contract equates to £15.6M in wages. On a three year, it's £23.4M. Considering the exposure of the Everton 'brand' that they'd get, as well as bringing in a wealth of experience, there's been worse money spent in recent years.

What would happen with Rooney's current contract with Man U though if he leaves on a free?

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, Teedy Kay said:

Aren't Everton supposed to be sniffing around Iheanacho with West Ham and Wolves?

:laugh:

I think they should aim a bit higher or towards somebody more consistent/proven, if they are trying to break the top 6 deadlock. I think he has loads of potential and could be an excellent striker, but for somebody slightly lower in the league than Everton. West Ham or Leicester seem a better fit.

West Ham are also looking at Chicharito apparently, and somebody claimed he has a £13m release clause. Fuck off. If they get him for that measly fee, it'd just be typical given their 'deal of the century' stadium arrangement.

Archived