General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Obviously I hated the Stoke/Pulis axis, but at the time you couldn't help but marvel at Delap's throws. The fact that nobody, especially us, knew how to deal with a bullet firing into the box with such a unique trajectory was fun to watch. Everybody would shit themselves whenever he took a throw.

Who used to move the advertising boards closer to the pitch to limit his run-up? Was that United?

The second one against Arsenal in that clip is hilarious. It hits every part of the body other than the foot before comically trickling through Almunia's legs. Fucking hell, Almunia.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
1 hour ago, Sphinx said:

There's a match where the (Hull?) goalie rushes out to chase a ball down but kicks it out for a corner rather than a throw as it was perceived to be the lesser threat.

Yeah everyone sussed that out and took that approach against Stoke. Even with the amount of 6ft+ Mordor monsters they had, a corner was always a much safer option rather than having Rory 'Steve Backley' Delap smash through everyone.

A corner generally would float in, you can sort of guess where it's going to end up and it would slow down as it dips, making it much easier to knock away. Delap's throws seemed to gain velocity and didn't seem to dip, making them a nightmare to defend against. They were a throwing equivalent of a Ronaldo free kick.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, drkopen said:

It's hard to tell whether Enkleman touched the ball here or not.

I'm sure I read that after the game Enckelmann said he didn't touch the ball but didn't appeal because he didn't know the rule was it had to touch someone before going in.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Sphinx said:

There's a match where the (Hull?) goalie rushes out to chase a ball down but kicks it out for a corner rather than a throw as it was perceived to be the lesser threat.

Yeah, it was Bo Myhill. That was the game Dean Windass got booked as a sub for warming up in front of Delap so he couldn't get a run up.

• Awards Moderator

Rory Delap was a poor man’s Dave Challinor:

I remember a match between Tranmere and Bolton (may have been the second half of the game above), where Allardyce got his subs to block another of Challinor’s throw-ins. In response, Eric Nixon, who was absolutely fucking massive, cleared them out the way by bounding towards them like a Sondico wearing Braun Strowman.

Tranmere won and Allardyce made his players get on the coach straight off the pitch, all still fully kitted up.

As an aside, Challinor’s been given doctor’s orders not to do those throw-ins any more (in training with the team he manages) as he had to have a shit load of injections and operations, caused by those throws. His shoulders must be frigged.

• Paid Members

Funny you should mention that Watson throw-in, Rick. I was watching some US football match a few months ago and there was a lad in that doing those somersault throw-ins and he was chucking it MILES. Like a couple of times it just cleared everyone and went out on the other side.

This is the guy, Michael Harris. Fucking great goal, this, think I might have posted this earlier in the thread.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Funny you should mention that Watson throw-in, Rick. I was watching some US football match a few months ago and there was a lad in that doing those somersault throw-ins and he was chucking it MILES. Like a couple of times it just cleared everyone and went out on the other side.

This is the guy, Michael Harris. Fucking great goal, this, think I might have posted this earlier in the thread.

Is this the Oklahoma football Jim Ross keeps banging on about? I can see its appeal.

• Paid Members

Barnsley's former owner Patric Cryne, who saved us from extinction 15 years ago when we were reportedly a few hours away from going out of business, has died today after a battle with cancer. He only sold the club a month or so ago to a Chinese/American consortium(including Billy Beane). To say I've never met the bloke, I can't tell you how gutted I and the vast majority of Barnsley fans are. A true gentleman who always acted with the utmost class and respect. 

Archived