General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ireland 1-5 Denmark.

Thoughts, Branquey? 

Individual errors completely changed the course of the tie and O'Neill was shown up tactically when trying to turn it around.

Long and/or Hoolahan should've started.

Murphy would've been more useful off the bench making the sort of impact he made against Austria.

The fact O'Neill took off his two central midfielders at half sums up how much he's been winging it all this time.

You can't legislate for schoolboy individual errors though.

Arter, Meyler and Christie badly caught out for first Denmark goal and Ward badly profligate for second..

And to think, if either of Murphy or McClean's efforts went in in minutes leading up to equaliser, it would've been a completely different game.

I personally think the damage was done after the first leg.

If we had been more positive then, a 1-1 draw or even 1-2 in Copenhagen would've meant much less pressure after going behind tonight.

Randolph faultless but it's hard to see any other positives.

I don't think Christie is up to it at this level; I wish Matt Doherty of Wolves had been integrated long ago.

I thought Ireland were all over the shop tactically, especially for a side still in the tie and who had grafted a decent result away from home. They were very open and were run ragged. 

Even at 2-1 down they were piling everyone forward in the 50th minute and leaving themselves wide open. Individual mistakes, bad decision making, no balance. It sounds harsh but to lose 5-1 at home to Denmark is embarrassing. I was rooting for all the home nations (and Ireland) to get to the World Cup. Genuinely gutted that wasn't to be.   

• Paid Members

I said it after Saturday. We don’t deserve to go to a World Cup with that carry on.

I go to pretty much every home game at Landsowne Road and whatever away game I can afford to. I love football, but Ireland don’t fucking play it so I don’t know why I keep putting myself and my wallet through this shite. But I do, and I will continue to do so as I’m a hopeless romantic under it all.

O’Neill is just as bad as Trapattoni with regards his lack of faith in what he has to work with. He seems to believe we don’t have a baller capable of playing beyond a Faroe Islands level, which is absolute fucking nonsense.

We’re no world beaters but we have players capable of playing it on the deck (as games in the past have proven when we’ve taken Germany, France (the famous Henry game), Italy and many others to the sword when needed during games) and it breaks my heart to see this crude, disgusting, toxic form of football that O’Neill constantly insists that those players adhere to.

This whole “Little Ireland” mentality that everyone accepts winds me up no end. They are professional footballers. Duffy, McClean, Brady, Hendrick, Ward, Long and Arter are premier league players. I’d assume they’re not there on a charitable basis and that the Premier League is ruthless enough to expose those that aren’t good enough, so why they are treated like League of Ireland players by a lot of Irish fans with their “But we’re only Ireland” mentality and the fucking management team astounds me. Fucking astounds me, yet Michael O’Neill has players of what could arguably be a similar calibre, yet he has them playing football and they are a delight to watch sometimes on a level a working class fan who appreciates effort and guile can relate to.

Players like Hoolahan, Arter, O’Dowda and even Hendrick (who was more interested in his hair last night...I saw him playing with it constantly throughout the game) can play a bit and should be allowed to do so. Why they’re not allowed, is a question only O’Neill and Keane can answer, and I don’t think I want to wait around anymore for them to do so.
I actually sat there with tears in me eyes last night after the final whistle and it was caught on telly apparently (my missus sent me a text asking if her little bumblebee was okay as she saw me welled up on the telly, which was quite emasculating and not what I needed in the moments following, but she meant well) and it was out of frustration, confusion and the fact James McClean came over to our section and apologised while crying himself.

I don’t know where to go from here mentally as I’ve lost faith in both club and country...

Terrible state to be in as a football fan.

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

I said it after Saturday. We don’t deserve to go to a World Cup with that carry on.

I go to pretty much every home game at Landsowne Road and whatever away game I can afford to. I love football, but Ireland don’t fucking play it so I don’t know why I keep putting myself and my wallet through this shite. But I do, and I will continue to do so as I’m a hopeless romantic under it all.

O’Neill is just as bad as Trapattoni with regards his lack of faith in what he has to work with. He seems to believe we don’t have a baller capable of playing beyond a Faroe Islands level, which is absolute fucking nonsense.

We’re no world beaters but we have players capable of playing it on the deck (as games in the past have proven when we’ve taken Germany, France (the famous Henry game), Italy and many others to the sword when needed during games) and it breaks my heart to see this crude, disgusting, toxic form of football that O’Neill constantly insists that those players adhere to.

This whole “Little Ireland” mentality that everyone accepts winds me up no end. They are professional footballers. Duffy, McClean, Brady, Hendrick, Ward, Long and Arter are premier league players. I’d assume they’re not there on a charitable basis and that the Premier League is ruthless enough to expose those that aren’t good enough, so why they are treated like League of Ireland players by a lot of Irish fans with their “But we’re only Ireland” mentality and the fucking management team astounds me. Fucking astounds me, yet Michael O’Neill has players of what could arguably be a similar calibre, yet he has them playing football and they are a delight to watch sometimes on a level a working class fan who appreciates effort and guile can relate to.

Players like Hoolahan, Arter, O’Dowda and even Hendrick (who was more interested in his hair last night...I saw him playing with it constantly throughout the game) can play a bit and should be allowed to do so. Why they’re not allowed, is a question only O’Neill and Keane can answer, and I don’t think I want to wait around anymore for them to do so.
I actually sat there with tears in me eyes last night after the final whistle and it was caught on telly apparently (my missus sent me a text asking if her little bumblebee was okay as she saw me welled up on the telly, which was quite emasculating and not what I needed in the moments following, but she meant well) and it was out of frustration, confusion and the fact James McClean came over to our section and apologised while crying himself.

I don’t know where to go from here mentally as I’ve lost faith in both club and country...

Terrible state to be in as a football fan.

There's almost nothing I can add to that. Having spent years following Ireland all over the world, last night was one of the lowest points I've ever experienced. Really not sure where we go from here, and there are definitely players who won't be around for the next campaign who will be a big loss. Branqey is spot on about O'Neill and the turgid football we've been playing. The sad thing is had we played more flowing, less route one football I don't think we would have had to rely on a play-off. The dropped points against Georgia and Serbia a few months back would have likely been enough as things panned out to get us through automatic qualification. 

I'd like to see things change, but I can't see Keane and O'Neill going anywhere, nor Delaney or the rest of the shower at the FAI having the competency or finances to put someone better in place. Sadly, I think this may be rinse/repeat for a while. 

Most of all I feel sorry for Johnny Walters, a player who genuinely gives everything for that shirt and will never make it to a World Cup, he's one who really deserved a big final hurrah. 

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Guy Bifkin said:

Looks like it's down to England (again) to represent these islands on the greatest stage of all.

Based on the last two friendlies it looks like we'll piss it as well. 

Exactly. Drawing with the best two teams in the world would be half the job done at the World Cup, just a matter of winning the penalty shoot-out. Just as well our manager has...oh, bugger.

• Paid Members

I've turned to corner on Cuckold Southgate. Think the last two games have shown that he's the man to continue Big Sam's legacy of free-flowing attacking football. 

I was fine with him playing the kids to be honest. Good experience and they didn't disgrace themselves. Not like the first XI is awash with quality. 

48 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

I'll be cheering yizzerselves (England) and the Aussies on (because Tim Cahill), and I fully expect to have the obligatory plethora of arguments in pubs with numerous fans in their respective Premier League jerseys asking me why I'm cheering England on.

That's the spirit Scotty.

I was right behind Eire when we failed to qualify in 94 and it was nothing to do with all your players and manager being English. 

Archived