Bellator 180: Chael vs Wandy

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, jimufctna24 said:

The Main Event was pretty predictable. I wouldn't mind seeing Fedor vs Chael next. They seemed to open the door for it. 

I'd rather see Fedor vs Wand myself. Well, I'd actually rather Fedor just retire but if he's going to fight again then a clash of maybe the two biggest Pride legends ever would be cool to see. 

Don't know what that would leave for Chael but whatever. 

I had a feeling I was going to come out of this one feeling fucking depressed. I hate, hate, HATE that Meathead now has a KO win over Fedor on his record. That's proof right there that Fedor needs to stop. It was one thing losing to Werdum and Hendo. Losing to a slob like Meathead is a different thing entirely. 

Chael vs Wand was EXACTLY how I've pictured it all these years :( 

Davis vs Bader 2 was utter turd. The good thing is Bader is 2-0 now so that should at least kill any chance of a third fight. We hope. 

Lima vs Larkin was alright but not as good as I expected it to be. 

Chandler vs Primus was so deflating. I'm not a huge fan of Chandler myself. I love watching him fight but I've never warmed to him. Felt bad for him here though, what a shitty way to lose the title. 

And man, the hot prospects had a mixed night didn't they? Gallagher looked phenomenal. Again, if he can drop the McGregor-lite shit and find his own way then I think that'll be good. But in the cage he looks quality. The Pico debut was a disaster though. After all the hype that couldn't have gone worse. I did wonder because Freeman wasn't your typical cannon fodder debut opponent. He's no killer but he has a decent little record and has challenged for titles on the smaller show circuit. He looked way bigger than Pico in the face off at the weigh in as well. In hindsight it seems like a terrible choice of opponent on Bellator's part. Heather Hardy got there in the end but it was rough going early on. I was happy to see her win though. To come back from what she's been through in her life to where she is now, it's hard not to root for her. 

Yeah, not the best of shows. And just when I think Coker has a wise head on his shoulders, they bring in fucking Brendan 'Big Dopey' Schaub as a pundit. Shit the bed. 

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

"You never piss off a gangster". Nice to see Chael P back cutting some promos. Aside from that, it was a bit of a shocker, in terms of quality.

Chael v Wand was more interesting than I thought it would be, in that Wand rocked Chael a couple of times. Granted, anytime Chael wanted a takedown Wand was on his arse seconds later, but at least he showed something/anything. It's the best result for Bellator. I honestly think Fedor has half a chance because he's not in there with someone that will knock him out. I assume they cut to Tito doing a mad face because they've got a rematch in the works, which is smart.

They need to keep Fedor away from blokes with any sort of power. You knew exactly how this one would go, going in, and it delivered. It's just sad seeing Fedor fight, these days.

Indeed, Davis/Bader 2 continues their powerful streak of impressively dull fights. I ended up skipping most of the last round because I was suddenly reminded of the brevity of life.

So, who had the worst debut, then, CM "He shouldn't be fighting" Punk, or Aaron "Baddest man on the planet" Pico? FYI, Pico sort of landed a shot as he was taking a shot, that caused him to land on his arse. Really couldn't have gone worse for the boy.

Very much on the Heather Hardy train. Fair enough, most of it was to do with the weigh in outfit, but she was ferocious towards the end of the fight; I was screaming for Big John to step in, because it was just starting to get uncomfortable.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that is a little unsettled by Gallagher doing a rubbish McGregor. Nevertheless, he looks like he could be the real deal.

Heather Hardy looked OK in her debut. Obviously, her striking was great and she really battered Alice Yauger, but she has lots of room to improve. Jack Gallagher walked right through Chinzo Machida like he wasn’t even there. Phil Davis and Ryan Bader had five of the more boring rounds in MMA we’ve seen in a while. For two fighters who moved a lot, they did nothing with it. Bader got the win by split decision but it’s a win that will mean more to people who only read about the fight rather than watched it.

Douglas Lima and Lorenz Larkin had a rather pedestrian fight. Aaron Pico had a lot of hype behind his MMA debut and undoubtedly had a lot of pressure on him. Well, it all went up in flames as Pico got caught with an uppercut and then got choked out in 24-seconds. I bet CM Punk doesn’t feel so bad now. One upset was followed with another as Brett Primus beat Michael Chandler in the first round to win the Bellator lightweight title. Primus was landing some vicious leg kicks and whilst they were causing Chandler problems, a replay showed that the real damage came when Chandler had rolled his ankle very early on when dodging a kick and it ended up being so bad he couldn’t stand, so the fight was stopped. Fedor and Mitrione started slow, then had a double knockdown, and Mitrione reacted fastest and quickly knocked Fedor out. The fight ended how most people expected it would but how it got there is something nobody saw coming. Chael and Wanderlei had a decent fight that was exciting in places because Silva floored Sonnen a few times and even had a guillotine choke for much of the second round that Sonnen ended up surviving long enough for the referee to order a stand up. However, the overriding theme of the fight was Silva’s inability to stop Sonnen from taking him down. Sonnen got the unanimous decision and then cut a promo that knocked New York, claimed he had beaten Tito Ortiz, and knocked Fedor whilst challenging him to a fight.

Overall, I’d say Bellator ended up delivering almost what you’d expect; outside of the two upsets, the fights generally went exactly as most people thought they would. Davis and Bader bore the house down, Mitrione knocked Fedor out early, and Sonnen took Silva down over and over again. Despite Aaron Pico getting creamed, I think Bellator will generally be happy with how things went. There was enough excitement coupled with the huge upsets to deliver a good night of action, and Chael Sonnen ended the night with a great promo that set up three different fights.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, ColinBollocks said:

"You never piss off a gangster". Nice to see Chael P back cutting some promos.

Except it was the same old tired catchphrases, and he called out a guy who just lost. He's a parody.

Bellator really is the has-beens league when it comes to their main events.

• Paid Members

Bader vs Davis is a funny old series. The fights are fuck awful but they're always in really cool venues on pretty hyped shows. The first fight was in that huge stadium in Sweden in front of a 40,000 crowd. Then the rematch is in MSG. They don't deserve it. 

If there's ever a third fight I fully expect it to be in Zaire and titled 'The Fumble In The Jungle'. Or in the Philippines and named 'The Buzz Killer in Manila'. 

Shittest series in MMA ever. And I watched Shamrock vs Gracie and Shamrock vs Severn. 

• Paid Members

finally caught up, its late as fuck so ill post more tomorrow but...

There's something about these shows with the 'novelty' fight on top that always leads to weirdness. It certainly wasn't the classic card id hoped for, and the actual solid MMA fights on the show didn't really deliver, but the strange finishes and unpredictability of it all made it a fun watch. Just a barmy show.

• Paid Members
On 6/25/2017 at 11:26 AM, Noah Southworth said:

I think Bellator will generally be happy with how things went

id think so. Coming out of a show you're gonna want 'water cooler talking points', and this show was full of them, both positive and negative.

• Paid Members

so yeah, what a mental night...

* Chael i thought actually looked pretty good, he proved at least that he still has the bottle for it. Once he got clipped i expected him to bail but he gritted his teeth and got through it. It was last chance salloon stuff for me with Sonnen but he's got me back on board. The schtick is wearing thing and always feels overly rehearsed but the guy is still a master salesman, in the space of about 10 minutes interview time i saw between his post fight in cage and interview with Ariel he laid the seeds for 3 potential big fights. Guy knows how to play the game.

* Wanderlei was disappointing. On the feet he was slining the guns but his lack of even attempting to stop a takedown or attempts to get back up was disappointing. Even at 40 i think Wanderlei can probably get involved in some exciting fights, he just needs the correct opponent.

* Tito Ortiz at cageside was just another bizarre twist. It felt like Tito was there to deflect attention from the main event but he came off like a complete idiot. Tito shouting 'pussy' at Chael when he shot a double was a bit much coming from a guy who spent 90% of career shooting the double to gain top control. Chael's single line about subbing Tito in the post-fight was genius.

* Fedor/Mitrione just summed up the whole thing. We have no idea what to take out of that from Fedor's point of view, double knockdown and Mitrione reacted quickest, that really was it. It's just sad to see Fedor being put out so quickly and slumping on the canvas. I'd be up for the Chael fight but there isn't a lot more i want to see from Fedor, it's too painful as a fan. Matt Mitrione on the other hand gets a bit of an unfair rap, i think it's tie-over from TUF, but he always comes off as a good guy to me, showed mass respect for Fedor too which was nice. Never in a dull fight either, put him a title fight.

* Aaron Pico has to go down as one of the most disastrous debuts in MMA history. It was set up as a pure showcase and it just backfired in specatular fashion. I know Pico has ridiculous potential but matching him up against a guy with an 8-2 record and who had just come off a loss in for the RFA title (taking into consideration that RFA titlelists usually go straight into the UFC) just seems a little bit stupid in hindsight. Bare in mind Bellator put James Gallagher in the cage with a 1-1 record when he was 5-0. There's nothing wrong with bringing these guys along slowly. Bellator will put a spin on his return and market it no doubt, it'll probably make for more interest in his return actually.

* Speaking of James Gallagher...hugely impressive again. I'm hoping he finds his own identity abit but there's no denying his star potential. He walked through Machida and has natural charisma in spades. Bellator are moving it all towards a showdown with AJ McKee and i think they should just pull the trigger on that now, get a push behind that and it could end up being one of the more anticipated fights of the year for me. Bellator are building it nicely.

* Larkin/Lima was massively disappointing. Lima cruised really and i felt Larkin was the guy who needed to push the pace and try making something happen. I think he just went into his shell after the 2nd round knockdown and he lost confidence after that. Massive props to Rory MacDonald for his post-fight reaction though, just great stuff "if either of them fought like that against me, they'd just be another body in the grave", i like evil Rory.

* Davis/Bader was what it was. I don't think anyones capable of having an exciting fight with Davis though. These two could probably fight a hundred times (god forbid) and 99 of them would be as dull as dishwater, just a poo clash of styles. I'm actually glad Bader won the fight, i've warmed to Bader over the last couple of years and like Mitrione tends to get a bad rap that isn't necessarily justified. Talk is of putting King Mo in there next with Bader, im down for that one.

* Chandler/Primus summed up the night. Horrible to see Chandler go out like that, but there was no way they could let that thing go. Still, i don't see huge negatives coming out of this, Chandler's stock may have even risen given how he reacted (saving the stool moment, which was classic), and Bellator has a locked on main event with the rematch going forward. If this was pro wrestling (and that's how i like to look at the sport), a feud was born.

* Fight of the night easily went to Hardy/Yauger. I've lost pretty much all interest in female MMA save for the 'stars' but i was interested in Hardy because of the boxing background. It felt like watching an old Strikeforce show where two ladies stole the show against the odds. It wasn't a classic but it was a knockdown, drag out type brawl where both ladies left it all in there. Bellator's female divisions are a mess so im not sure where they go with Hardy but this was a good start for her.

Bonkers.

14 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

The schtick is wearing thing and always feels overly rehearsed but the guy is still a master salesman,

I did enjoy Chael's line about New York. I also found it amusing when the cameras followed him back to the locker room, and he had a face like thunder. 

• Paid Members

I thought Chael's stuff after the fight was terrible.

Surely digging out the home town is line 1, chapter 1 in the Heel handbook. I could've come up with that line in 10 seconds.

Then he went on to call out Fedor ... a guy that just got knocked out. Not Mitrione who'd just won ... Fedor. Just came over as so obvious.

Archived