UFC 210: Cormier vs Rumble 2

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Noah Southworth said:

I think what turned some people on Cormier is the same thing that had people turning on Rashad. They kept trying to point out what kind of person Jon Jones was, and people just did not want to hear it.

Rashad was still popular, even after knocking out Chuck...............

Rashad was receiving stick way before Jon Jones. The majority of the UFC's fanbase supported Rampage over him throughout 2009 and 2010. 

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't always like Chael Sonnen but I like how he says if you win a tough fight and the crowd boo's you then fuck them. Rub their noses in it and tell them to fuck off. 

Jones has a big fanbase in the US whatever stupid shit he does because of how great he fights. I mean Mayweather is a woman beating piece of shit but he has his fans because he is the best boxer in the world atm. The fans who see Jones as the best MMA fighter in the world see DC as a fraud.

Its daft but whatever DC does he won't win those people over untill he beats JJ.

• Paid Members

Here's the transcript from Johnson's corner throughout the fight. As expected, they were absolutely bemused by what Johnson was doing. What seems the most bizarre thing to me was Johnson remaining completely silent whilst on the stool. It looks like the guy wasn't mentally right going into this fight to me.

Voice: Take your time. Nice. Take your time. Don’t take him down

Hooft: Don’t wrestle him.

Voice: If you’re going to go, go single.

Hooft: You don’t have to wrestle him, AJ. Just relax.

Voice: Don’t wrestle him.

Hooft: Get out of there. Get out of there.

Grappling coach Neil Melanson: OK, stud. Now, let’s get your hands hot.

Voice: Why is he wrestling him?

Hooft: This is stupid.

Voice: Why is he wrestling him?

Hooft: Fu** it, man. Just get off the cage.

Voice: Get out of there.

Voice: Why isn’t he listening?

Voice: He’s tired already, DC. He doesn’t need to do this.

Voice: Why isn’t he listening?

Hooft: I don’t know why he’s doing that. We have no (expletive) eyes.

Break between Round 1 and Round 2

Hooft: Can you tell me why you’re wrestling? Now, you’re not going to wrestle. You take your distance. Stay away, two steps away. Why are you so worried about everything? The kicks and the knees are really good, but no kicks. Where’s your hands?

Voice: You’re doing great. Don’t fu***** wrestle him.

Hooft: If you stand your distance, it’s an easy game. Why make it difficult?

Round 2

Hooft: Movement. Athletic. Movement. That’s it. Take your distance.

(Johnson shoots for another takedown)

Hooft: You need distance.

Hooft: I’m not saying nothing.

(Cormier takes Johnson’s back)

Hooft: It’s going the same as last time.

(Johnson taps)

Hooft: Why, why the fu** does this happen every fu***** time, man? Crazy.

Considering how he immediately retired, saying he didn't want to get hit anymore, I think he just wanted out of there with as little damage as possible.

It sounds like he had no intention of winning, and just wanted to cuddle his way out of the door.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I think it was a combination of him already having that frontrunner mentality (go back to his welterweight days), thinking retirement and then Cormier cracking him early and him just not fancying it.

I also think he might've been so spooked by how the first fight played out that maybe he thought 'well I can't stop DC grappling me, so if we're grappling I'm gonna get in first'. It was never going to work but you can see the twisted logic in that. Kind of. He might've also been thinking 'well, the only guy to beat DC is Jones and Jones outwrestled him a lot. I'll try that'. But it obviously wasn't the gameplan judging by that coaches transcript. 

I just don't think Rumble's got that mental toughness to beat someone as determined and granite as Cormier. Physically, sure he could catch DC. But in hindsight Cormier was always just all wrong for him, wasn't he? Someone with that level of wrestling coupled with ridiculous durability and a head like a boulder...he's basically Rumble kryptonite. He took a clean Rumble right hand, caught early and cold, in the first fight. Then he took a Rumble shin flush across the nose in the rematch. And still went 2-0 with 2 submissions. 

• Paid Members
On Monday, April 10, 2017 at 2:18 PM, Chunk said:

Possibly, yeah. It just seems that a lot of the focus is on a decision being made once the video replay had been viewed. All I'm saying is that that shouldn't be relevant. The ref has to honour his first decision because he shouldn't be allowed to know what the replay shows.

Yeh it was a shambles. An illegal strike was called and they stated several times that in New York instant replay is not used, so when the fight was called off technically it should have been a DQ win for Weidman or a no-contest? But they used to replay to come to a decision anyway? An utter mess, but good drama.

I had Mousasi on my bet slip though so god bless whoever it was that fucked up.

11 minutes ago, lambyUK said:

What still puzzles me is what did the doctors see to deem Weidman not able to compete? He looked fine to me to be able to continue. 

They asked him what month it was. He said February. That and other things made it clear, to them, that Weidman wasn't able to keep fighting.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Noah Southworth said:

They asked him what month it was. He said February.

Interesting. 

I have to admit, thinking back to when he was on the microphone, he seemed a little incoherent and in all honesty, I started worrying about his general health after the 3 beatings he's received recently. The Romero knee in particular was absolutely gruesome. 

• Paid Members

That corner transcript is wild. Seems Rumble had mentally checked out before the thing had even started. It's the reason i picked DC going in, Rumble's dangerous as hell but he's never had the dog in him to gut it out. It seems to be the one thing he lacked as a fighter, as soon as DC got on top Saturday, Rumble gave up.

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Yeh it was a shambles. An illegal strike was called and they stated several times that in New York instant replay is not used, so when the fight was called off technically it should have been a DQ win for Weidman or a no-contest? But they used to replay to come to a decision anyway? An utter mess, but good drama.

NYSAC said it is used - which is why Big John used it, then conferred with Dan to fill him in.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/4/11/15264748/nysac-instant-replay-legally-used-for-gegard-mousasi-vs-chris-weidman-at-ufc-210

Can't see a problem with the decision TBH. Weidman was either fit to continue or he wasn't. The doctors deemed he wasn't. And it was the result of 2 legal knees to the head. So it's a TKO.

Dan had no choice but to call a foul at the time, because to everyone it looked illegal initially. But when it turned out to be legal, Weidman had already spent 3 minutes playing up to the doctors; either for real or because he wanted out. Either way he couldn't have continued after that. 

Archived