UFC 210: Cormier vs Rumble 2

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I wouldn't be against a Jacare vs Mousasi rubber match, to be honest. It would temporarily eliminate a contender but we've got Bisping vs GSP and then Yoel Romero has to get his shot first so those guys are in for a wait regardless. 

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Main Card is decent overall. The line-up is perfectly reasonable for a B-Level PPV. Alves vs Cote is a nice slice of nostalgic from the not-so-distant past. Brooks vs DO Bronx should be a decent scrap. Weidman vs Mousasi works as a co-headliner, and has provoked genuine interest. One is a fighter who is threatening to break the glass-ceiling of the division, such is his run of form. The other is fighting to remain in the top-echelon of the division. The stakes are pretty high.

On the subject of MMA PPV's, I really hope the UFC don't ever push their PPV's past 3 hours. In its current state, the Main Card provides an excellent cut-off point for which to tune in. I watched Wrestlemania live at a friend's house over the weekend, the first wrestling show I had watched in years. I enjoyed most of the show (Goldberg vs Lesnar, A.J vs Shane, Angle beaming while saluting the crowd, etc) - but it didn't half drag.

It reminded me why I stop watching UFC prelims, barring special occasions. I will probably enjoy this show, but I'll be tuning it at 3am, and not a second sooner. 

Just now, Egg Shen said:

UFC PPV's rarely run over 3 hours do they?

I think they have done on a few occasions. I seem to recall one of McGregor's recent fights going past the 6am mark. I don't think they have ever surpassed 4 hours though. I hope it stays that way. 

Let's hope Frank Warren doesn't become UFC president. 

• Paid Members

Isn't it something to do with allotted times? I'm sure part of the problem with WWE PPV's running long now is that they are really Network specials and can go as long as they need without fear of the PPV feed cutting off.

Whereas when their business was based on PPV 3 hour or 4 hour advertised shows always ran under the advertised time. So I can't see the UFC changing anytime soon permanently other than the odd special occassion, in case people missed part of a main event due to the PPV carrier cutting the feed off. 

Meltzer made the point surrounding the time though that UFC PPVs only tend to drag if the fights are shit. You don't need to sit through absolutely every second of a UFC show, really it's just the fights themselves that are important. You can get up for a shit or a coffee inbetween fights, rounds etc and not miss anything. It's only those big PPVs UFC 200 for example that have edged towards the four hour mark. 

WWE Have backstage skits, concerts, other stuff that goes on that is important to the show. So you literally feel the need to sit through the entirety. 

On 04/04/2017 at 5:43 PM, WeeAl said:

Isn't it something to do with allotted times? I'm sure part of the problem with WWE PPV's running long now is that they are really Network specials and can go as long as they need without fear of the PPV feed cutting off.

WWE PPVs still run on PPV so they still have a window they have to stay within or they have to let the providers know they might be running long

On 04/04/2017 at 5:39 PM, Egg Shen said:

UFC PPV's rarely run over 3 hours do they?

If you go from the start of the anti-piracy message all the way to the end credits, UFC PPVs generally clock in at around the 160 minute mark. But the last three PPVs have all gone over three hours. UFC avoid the problem of PPV providers cutting them off by always blocking off four hours for their PPV, although in the case of UFC 205, they went with five hours because they had three title fights.

I think the main event comes down to how two questions can be answered;

Has Cormier gotten old overnight? Has Johnson improved his takedown defence enough to keep the fight standing?

If the answer to either of those questions is yes, then Johnson’s chances of victory greatly improve. If the answer of both of those questions is yes, Johnson becomes the heavy favourite. But we won’t know the answers until the fight happens. I’m leaning towards a quick Johnson victory by way of knockout, but that may change depending on how their respective weight cuts go.

I think Weidman versus Mousasi is going to come down to Weidman’s mental state.

Weidman is coming off two defeats that had to be really hard to deal with. He lost the title in what was his first ever loss and that first loss is always tough to deal with, no matter who you are. Weidman then followed that up by fighting in his home state, almost down the road from where he lives, and ended up getting knocked out and turned into a bloody mess. Dealing with either one of those is tough but dealing with them back to back is something else. Weidman is also under a lot of pressure to win if he wants a shot at the middleweight title anytime soon. Yoel Romero is ahead of him for sure and Souza will be as well if he beats Robert Whittaker. A loss for Weidman here and it would probably take a serious win streak for him to be in consideration for a title fight once Romero and Souza have had their turns.

And that’s not even taking into account the delay that would be caused by an immediate rematch between Bisping GSP rematch, something that would almost certainly happen if there is any kind of question over the result of their first fight.

I am really looking forward to UFC 210 and not just because of the fights. I’m looking forward to it because the outcome of the two top fights will tell us a lot about the direction of two of the UFC’s most important divisions for the rest of 2017 and beyond.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, mim731 said:

It's alright he's come back and weighed in at 205! 

That's suspect as fuck. How do you lose 1.2 pounds in 1.2 minutes?

He either gave birth to a baby or had the biggest shit known to man.

• Paid Members

Apologising in here for posting in the general MMA thread, didn't even realise I wasn't in the 210 thread.

Yeah, it's very suspect. Losing 1.2llbs in less than 120 seconds. Something isn't right at all. Hopefully there will be an explanation.

Still, DC looked shocking and the shambles of AKA continues. 

Archived