Career-Defining Opponents

Onyx2

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Andre for Hogan

WWF marketed it to perfection and this was hyped like no other! This really was considered to be an 'event' of ali-frazier magnitude.

Of course it was aided in that area by kayfabe still being intact, and no internet to dilute its impact

Basically if you didn't go and see it you had to get ppv. If you missed both you had to buy a £20 vhs (which was alotta money in 87)

You don't get 80,000+ to attend for nothing

• Paid Members

Andre for Hogan

Half-agreed. garynysmon also mentioned Piper.

It comes down to what is being defined, and what part of their career, I think. Because Hogan's had such a long and storied career, I don't think one opponent defines him.

The Iron Sheikh defined Hogan as a main-eventer. Piper defined him as a mainstream star transcending wrestling. Andre defined him as one of the, if not THE, biggest of all time.

Edge and Christian v The Hardyz is an absolute career-definer tag team wise, although Edge maybe isn't best remembered for that. If you're discussing tag teams though, that rivalry is bound to come up - they must have been in a feud for about 3 years solid without it getting boring. I would maybe say the Dudleyz fall in that conversation as well to an extent.

I think there's a difference between someone making someone and being a career-defining opponent as I've noticed a lot of "____ made ____" posts. I might be wrong but I think the OP is meaning what rivalry will go down for the wrestler as the one that springs to mind as soon as they're mentioned. Triple H might have made Batista but I don't automatically think of Triple H v Batista as career-defining opponents for each other.

For example, when I think of Hogan I automatically think of Hogan v Andre rivalry, I don't think of Hogan v Piper despite it helping make him.

• Paid Members

Yeah, Batista hasn't had a tendency to have long feuds, so I guess he hasn't really had the scope to have a career opponent. Apart from Triple H, the only feuds that come to mind are the ones with Taker and HBK. Maybe Mysterio and Cena (I'm just thinking that Last Man Standing match though).

Triple H for me was the Rock still holds up as a well put together main eve.t feud in 2000. Plus their IC feud in 98 and on off stuff on 99 was always good. Then after 2000 they pretty much stopped it. Perhaps of Trips hadn't got injured or the rock gone off for movies post mania there was one more big match in there but I'm glad it didn't happen as I think it would have diluted things

Shawn Michaels I can't decode between taker or razor

For Shawn Michaels I'd say Bret because of Montreal

For Bret: bulldog at SS! It was Bret's match and he he showed just how good he was and it arguably made him in WWFs eyes. One of those rare occassions where the loss is insignificant. Everyone just remembers Bret's performances, especially now we know he basically performed around a guy 'fried to bits and gassed after 30 seconds'.

Triple H for me was the Rock still holds up as a well put together main eve.t feud in 2000. Plus their IC feud in 98 and on off stuff on 99 was always good. Then after 2000 they pretty much stopped it. Perhaps of Trips hadn't got injured or the rock gone off for movies post mania there was one more big match in there but I'm glad it didn't happen as I think it would have diluted things

Shawn Michaels I can't decode between taker or razor

They teased a meeting between them during The Rock's comeback.

Archived