Career-Defining Opponents

Onyx2

• Paid Members

Undertaker and Mankind: Both guys made each other to some extent,

No matter who you are or how shit the matches were, the casual probably thinks of Kane when Undertaker is mentioned.

Way too much emphasis is put on match quality, I shudder to think what the internet would have to say if the current product was more akin to the late 80's.

To say Mankind made the Undertaker essentially says he wasn't really over until 1996 (5 years after he held the world title),which sounds bonkers to me.

It was the Hulk Hogan feud at the tail end of 1991 that pushed him over the top. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

For Jericho I'd have to go with Angle or Benoit, as his debut feud with Rock was pretty flat outside the opening promo. The 2/3 falls match with the 3 of them is the match I think of when Jericho is mentioned.

His 9 month feud with HHH in 2005/6 is excellent but nothing scales the heights of his matches with those two.

Might be an age thing but Yokozuna springs to mind when Undertaker is talked about. Yes the casket match sucked but the skullduggery and subsequent return was the moment he was "undead" in my younger days.

• Paid Members

Jericho didn't have a 9 month feud with Triple H ever did he? Although for me in WWE his matches in 2000 with Triple H were defining?

Too late at night. HBK for the gold belt I meant sorry for the confusion. Started at the O2 in London and went on forever.

• Paid Members

Was on autopilot. Remember being at the 02 and Jericho coming out to Flair's music and absolutely losing it. It's different live, like why all the snarks popped for Cenas return at the 08 RR....You get caught up in the moment.

I was so annoyed when Jericho came out I threw a glove at him. As I was in the second tier all I actually did was slap someone in the back of the head a few rows down.

A few of those matches I haven't watched since...Always scared they won't stand the test of time.

This thread got me watching HHH vs Batista from wrestlemania and the crowd weren't as hot as I remembered...Spoiled it a bit.

Archived