Jimmy Snuka passes away.

Thunderplex

• Paid Members

Is it probably more a case of them wanting the likes of Sammartino, Argentina Rocca and Buddy Rogers to be seen as the true legends back in that era, as they were seen as 'their guys'? Moreso the first two. So they don't want to acknowledge someone that made his career elsewhere like Thesz as one of the true pioneers?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Well, sort of. I always knew of Bruno as the great WWF champion years and years ago (before I started smartening up), so they did enough to get that message across. They definitely toned down his accomplishments though, probably out of spite because he wouldn't appear on their HoF.

• Moderators

In his day he had this bizarre charisma that you can see why he was such a star in 1983/84. Cracking theme tune and his finish sometimes looked astounding.

He did it though, hard to look around that. He was obviously a fucking nightmare at his worst.

If you can't handle him at his worst, you don't deserve him at his best :wub:

• Awards Moderator

They barely mentioned Bruno until a few years ago though.

That was due to a huge rift between Bruno and Vince, which Triple H takes the credit for patching up. Same as always in WWE, when you're persona non grata you don't exist.

• Paid Members

Isn't his RF shoot supposed to be one of the shittest of all time? All i've heard of it is apparently in response to most of the questions Jimmy Fly goes with "GREAT MEMORIES BROTHER" and doesn't really expand on basically anything

Yeah, it's terrible. Every question is answered with "GREAT, GREAT, BROTHER IT WAS GREAT". Not quite as bad as a Dustin Runnells, because at least he seems affable, for a murderer. 

I can't remember who tells the story, but it was on a shoot interview, about someone buying Snuka a book for his birthday, not knowing he couldn't read. 

• Moderators

From the observer this morning.

Later he adopted his wrestling name, Snuka, after the game “Snooker,” which he was an expert in

Hahahahaha, that's amazing! Gotta be a rib. I can't imagine The Superfly going "I love Ray Reardon, brother!".

Thesz barely had time for the Whiff in the 80's & 90's, & had earned really good money in his NWA career.  The times he did business with Titan had a lot to do with the paydays ... sometimes you can't turn down a good cheque & if the right package is in the deal, viz-a-vis travel & hotel & so on, then he'd have been daft not to go for it.  His Japanese stints later in life were all carefully selected to include the right package.  Who wouldn't.  A true old-school pro when it came to business.

Quite a bit of the gripe came out of Buddy Rogers being given the WWWF championship rather than earning it.  As I was saying, Lou was proper old school; if things weren't done in the traditional sense, he wouldn't necessarily endorse whatever it was that he was asked to.

Charlie is very much in the came vein; she will likely decline an induction ceremony appearance to honour Lou's memory as she knows that his heart was never fully in the organisation.

Archived