BlackExcellence

Michael_3165

So there was this massive shockwave that was directed toward the New Day trio following Xavier Woods 'Black Excellence' picture/caption post. Kofi, for his part, handled the whole thing pretty well.

I want to know a few things from you all...

1) How widespread is racism in your daily lives/local areas?

2) Are there divisions within the community between races?

3) What was this whole nonsense with New Day all about?

I personally don't see too much racism in my local area but then I know so many black and asian people through my work that it wouldn't really be tolerated. A close Romanian friend went to Nottingham a few weeks ago and was told she should 'go home' which surprised me because I had never come across this before (the remain campaign have jumped on this as proof of evil Brexit but that's besides the point).

Most people in my area respect each other though there is a definite generational gap when it comes to acceptance (I hate the term tolerance) of people from other backgrounds.

The Twitter thing was ridiculous and really showed how ignorant people truly are. With that in mind it would be interesting to see the response to a 'white excellence' or a 'asian excellence' variation to the caption and how this would have been taken by the twitter trolls too... Would there be any difference? 

I had a brilliant conversation with a friend who is a Muslim. She started wearing the head scarf after 30 years not wearing it and it was astounding how people changed toward her. She was not included in conversation during meetings, people would avoid eye contact and people actually laughed when she started wearing it. She explained clearly how this type of silent racism (or xenophobia) is more prevalent than outward nastiness. 

Ideas welcome :) 

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To my knowledge, there is little to none, in terms of out right hatred. The only things I hear, either directly or indirectly are people of an older generation saying things they've always said. I've only ever met one guy who out right seemed a terrible person, but thats 1 guy out of god knows how many I've spoken with in almost 30 years.

In terms of divisions, again not that I know of, or at least no purposefully. I myself am from a mixed race home, (White mother, Black step father) and have 2 mixed race sisters, and have had no comments or anything from anybody else about that, as its not an issue at all to me.

I have friends who are from and live in different countries, which I've never really thought about unless somebody points it out to me hah. In terms of the whole excellence thing, Kofi mentioned how he feels about it, and I agree with him for the most part, as long as its not done in a hatefull manner, then its fine. 

• Paid Members

I'm currently in gateshead, and have lived in Bishop Auckland and Newcastle. The latter is by far the most liberal of the 3, although bell end anti immigration marches are pretty regular.

The north east is riddled with racist cunts, in fact the bnp somewhat started in Sunderland I believe. Another fascist group in Darlington were recently told to fuck off (by law). So at least that's positive.

• Paid Members

Racism is pretty widespread here. I live in a shitty small industrial 'working-class' area in the Midlands, although working class is a bit of an oxymoron considering how many local folk are on the dole. I hear the word 'paki' probably daily, usually from my dickhead racist thick-cunt brother. It's the casual way it's used that fucks me off the most, as if the people using it aren't even aware it's an offensive term. In turn, the Asian community stick together and don't tend to mingle with us white lot, not that I can blame them.

Eastern Europeans are also hated due to them 'stealing all the jobs'. Apparently they can also come over here and get a 3 bedroom house straight away without even working for it, yet I've never heard anybody back this up with evidence. 

Obviously the above is a massive generalisation and you get British and Asian people mingling from time to time, we have a lovely elderly Asian couple on our street and nobody will say a bad word about them. But this is very much the exception to the rule.

• Paid Members

Aye. Its really bad in the North East. A part of the world who still keeps Chubby Brown employed. In fact, Chubby Brown recently did a Q&A in my local promoting some shite he's doing. It's less black people and more "the foreigners" these days. Doesnt matter where they come from, its "those lot" more than skin colour.

• Paid Members

My dad is presenting a public face and a private face — outwardly, he is less racist than my mum, doesn't say "paki shop" or "black sambos", and works in a lot of minority areas. However, I've been cyberstalking him on the Daily Mail forum, and he's a fucking monster on there. Calls for attacks and confrontation of "illegals", does that fake shit where you type m u s l i m and b r o w n to get around a non-existent filter, calls people b r o w n bastards, and generally crows about how "Nige," "Marine," and "Gert" are going to save their countries

In fact scrub that... I live about 30 minutes from Luton and the good ol' EDL marches are rife depending on the time of year :S

I had a strange assumption that northern cities would be nicer (as they are a million times more friendly than where I am near London)... maybe thats a massive stereotype. 

The question is... why are people so anti-immigrant nowadays? Even immigrants who arrived thirty years ago have a problem with immigrants coming into the country in some areas... crazy.

In fact scrub that... I live about 30 minutes from Luton and the good ol' EDL marches are rife depending on the time of year :S

I had a strange assumption that northern cities would be nicer (as they are a million times more friendly than where I am near London)... maybe thats a massive stereotype. 

The question is... why are people so anti-immigrant nowadays? Even immigrants who arrived thirty years ago have a problem with immigrants coming into the country in some areas... crazy.

The print media has a massive role in this, the stuff the Mail, Sun and Express print stoke tension and fear in people who often have little to no experience of meeting or living amongst immigrants.

I honestly have no idea. If the people saying stuff like "they are nicking all our jobs" actually did the work these guys and girls are doing or worked with some of the people coming over, they wouldn't say anything.

About ten years ago, I was working for agencies to get my foot in the door, work-wise, and 99% of people I worked with were from Europe or other countries. I can happily say everybody I ever worked with were the nicest, most respectful, hard working people I'd ever had the pleasure to work with, and its not "because they are [insert nationality]", its because they are all like minded people, who think "I'll go to the UK, earn some money and do better for myself and my family". That's not to say you won't meet any dick heads, because the world is full of them, it's not nationalities trait to be lazy or dickhead, its the person themselves.

One chap I used to work with, who was my senior in terms of work structure had come from Poland. He was over here working to earn enough money to start a life here, and marry his long time girlfriend who was waiting for him back home. He went so far as to buy a piece of gold and mill the wedding rings himself in the factory where we worked, as that was cheaper than buying one from a jeweler, which to me is just amazing. In the same place of work, we had English white males, slagging any foreigners off....but also regularly not turning up for work because they were terrible workers and people to boot. 

• Paid Members

Racism isn’t and wasn’t really rampant around my area because there was a fair bit of racial diversity around Donaghmede in Dublin when I was growing up.

We had three black lads hang around with us; Malik Boujalelle, Andy Basa and Gary Murphy. Gary Murphy always confused me because he looked like what a Malik Boujalelle should look like more than Malik Boujalelle.

But, you never had to worry about being black and bullied more than you would if you were a male who liked Bros.

I’ve always been envious of black people. And it all goes back to a muck film I watched - I think it was named ‘Porche’ - when I was about 7 or 8. It was a very small white woman standing in front of a tremendously colossal black man (I have no idea who the performer was), but he was a truly remarkable specimen.

I was absolutely mesmerised. He had muscles on his fingers, and a bulbus kinger that was so substantial, you could see it pulse from a distance.

It all went off on screen and the theme song said “PORSH-AHHHH” over and over, to what I really want to believe was Herbie Hancocks ‘Hang Up Your Hang Ups’.

This may come off as a racially charged slur, but those who know me on here should know it’s nothing of the sort, but at stages it looked like a Silverback was jockeying a Jack Russell – and I think about this part daily, no joke as it has stuck with me for 30 years – but when he pulled out her lad looked like two slices of raw lambs liver stuck to the side of a bucket.

And he was still fucking soft! I remember this as clear as day, lads, I’m not joking you.
I always assumed I was going to grow up with one of them hanging out of me...and when I was 23 and finished developing, after years of hoping against hope, I was let down by genetics and race. I thought because I’m ¼ Spanish and go very dark in the sun, I might stand a chance, but nature had other cunting plans.

Black Excellence/Blacksellence is true. Blacks are the superior race and the sooner we all stop codding ourselves about any theories or notions to the contrary, the better.

It's easy for white people who are from here to dismiss claims of racism and stuff like that. That's why I prefer to listen to BAME people as they're the ones who walk down the street wondering if the person coming the other way is going to hurl abuse at them.

Racism isn’t and wasn’t really rampant around my area because there was a fair bit of racial diversity around Donaghmede in Dublin when I was growing up.

We had three black lads hang around with us; Malik Boujalelle, Andy Basa and Gary Murphy. Gary Murphy always confused me because he looked like what a Malik Boujalelle should look like more than Malik Boujalelle.

But, you never had to worry about being black and bullied more than you would if you were a male who liked Bros.

I’ve always been envious of black people. And it all goes back to a muck film I watched - I think it was named ‘Porche’ - when I was about 7 or 8. It was a very small white woman standing in front of a tremendously colossal black man (I have no idea who the performer was), but he was a truly remarkable specimen.

I was absolutely mesmerised. He had muscles on his fingers, and a bulbus kinger that was so substantial, you could see it pulse from a distance.

It all went off on screen and the theme song said “PORSH-AHHHH” over and over, to what I really want to believe was Herbie Hancocks ‘Hang Up Your Hang Ups’.

This may come off as a racially charged slur, but those who know me on here should know it’s nothing of the sort, but at stages it looked like a Silverback was jockeying a Jack Russell – and I think about this part daily, no joke as it has stuck with me for 30 years – but when he pulled out her lad looked like two slices of raw lambs liver stuck to the side of a bucket.

And he was still fucking soft! I remember this as clear as day, lads, I’m not joking you.

I always assumed I was going to grow up with one of them hanging out of me...and when I was 23 and finished developing, after years of hoping against hope, I was let down by genetics and race. I thought because I’m ¼ Spanish and go very dark in the sun, I might stand a chance, but nature had other cunting plans.

Black Excellence/Blacksellence is true. Blacks are the superior race and the sooner we all stop codding ourselves about any theories or notions to the contrary, the better.

I disagree. I don't believe ANY race is 'superior'... you get dickheads and lazy people in every culture - white, black or asian.

Oh and I have no words for the rest of the post ha

• Paid Members

My Mum knows Chubby Brown's ex wife and daughter and by all accounts he's a massive bell end off the stage too. At the time we bumped into them in town (years back now mind) he never bothered with his daughter at all.

I work with a couple of people who don't seem to have any sort of comprehension that people from other countries/cultures do things differently to British folk.

We had a female customer a few weeks back who came into the store wearing a headscarf (if I get any terminology wrong, please forgive me), which I understand to be a custom of Islam usually when out in the company of men. This woman in question wasn't with anyone from what I could see, so I'm assuming she was on her own and just doing it out of habit more than anything.

My colleague waited until they left, obviously, and says to me:

"Why has she got that headscarf on?"

"I think it's part of their religion"

"But they're in our country now, they should do our laws"

"How do you know she wasn't born here? And we're a country where we are supposed to be able to have the freedom to practise whatever religion we choose to if we want to. There are places in the world where people don't get that opportunity or freedom"

"...oh yeah, I know, but..."

The other person thinks that Brexit is the greatest thing to ever happen as it "allows us to take our country back"

"From who?"

"From them"

"Whose them?"

The next part would usually be "Ze Germans?", but I'm afraid to think what would come out of her mouth next, nor would she get the reference

Archived