BlackExcellence

Michael_3165

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is interesting because you get the likes of Trump, Farage and Le Pen gaining momentum despite some of their rhetoric being extremely divisive whilst the likes of Jeremy Corbyn - champion of the vulnerable - gets a kicking in every metric you can imagine. I've got a hunch that we are entering an era of big personalities and the more offensive their language the more the people cheer (Trump is the Stone Cold of politics!)

• Paid Members

It's easy for white people who are from here to dismiss claims of racism and stuff like that. That's why I prefer to listen to BAME people as they're the ones who walk down the street wondering if the person coming the other way is going to hurl abuse at them.

100% this. I've no idea how racist my town is as I can happily walk into the rougher pubs, past gangs of lads & coppers pretty safe in the knowledge that my pigmentation won't be an issue.

I've definitely seen an increase in anti Eastern European language used on local news facebook groups & stuff but I don't think that's a local issue. More like the EU referendum made the knuckle draggers think they now have a mandate to be a cunt in public. Maybe it did?

• Paid Members

I saw a bloke walking through Birmingham City centre getting right in the face of anyone with an eastern European accent and shouting "fuck off back to Russia". I was tempted to follow him and watch him get his head split open by a group of Lithuanian lads but went for breakfast instead.

The question is... why are people so anti-immigrant nowadays? Even immigrants who arrived thirty years ago have a problem with immigrants coming into the country in some areas... crazy.

The print media has a massive role in this, the stuff the Mail, Sun and Express print stoke tension and fear in people who often have little to no experience of meeting or living amongst immigrants.

I'm very keen on the Stop Funding Hate campaign on Twitter and Facebook, which urges companies to withdraw advertising from these very papers.

The highest profile victory so far has been Lego, which used to run promotions in the Mail until supporters of the campaign collectively asked them to reconsider the messages they were associating with their brand.

The Express has currently run 70 anti-migrant front pages this year, a rising trend for the Mail as well, as seen on this chart.

The question is... why are people so anti-immigrant nowadays? Even immigrants who arrived thirty years ago have a problem with immigrants coming into the country in some areas... crazy.

The print media has a massive role in this, the stuff the Mail, Sun and Express print stoke tension and fear in people who often have little to no experience of meeting or living amongst immigrants.

Yeah, i'm in a very fucking white area, but barely befriend anybody from this town on social media because it's only a matter of time before they post some sort of shit rant that was already in the Sun this week but with marginally better spelling and grammar. so often when the people are otherwise vaguely alright

basically everywhere in Suffolk is a tory stronghold and was totally pro-Brexit, only Norwich in the entire of East Anglia voted to stay. there's a lot of paranoia when it comes to race and immigration issues even though most of us only fucking know about 5 foreigners.

one of the ones i know sells me good weed so all my political views center around keeping him nearby

The print media has a massive role in this, the stuff the Mail, Sun and Express print stoke tension and fear in people who often have little to no experience of meeting or living amongst immigrants.

basically everywhere in Suffolk is a tory stronghold and was totally pro-Brexit, only Norwich in the entire of East Anglia voted to stay. 

Are you counting just Norfolk and Suffolk as East Anglia? Because if not, Cambridge and South Cambridgeshire voted Remain as well.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I take your point that social attitudes are probably mostly quite backward there whether you're talking about 2 counties or 3, but the referendum can't (quite) be used as a proxy racism survey.

I generally switch between Glasgow and London for work, and whilst not technically racism, one thing that shocked me quite a bit was when I was crossing a road in Tower Hamlets and saw a Middle-Eastern guy in a 4x4 basically try to run over two young lads who were holding hands whilst crossing the road. He sped up and if they hadn't been quick off the mark he'd have clipped them without a doubt.

He then crawled alongside the road as they walked down the street firing insults and abuse at them, telling them that "this kind of thing isn't on", how "their parents should have killed them at birth" and other nasty shit.

Credit to the lads though, they didn't stop holding hands or even give the arsehole the time of day.

• Paid Members

I generally switch between Glasgow and London for work, and whilst not technically racism, one thing that shocked me quite a bit was when I was crossing a road in Tower Hamlets and saw a Middle-Eastern guy in a 4x4 basically try to run over two young lads who were holding hands whilst crossing the road. He sped up and if they hadn't been quick off the mark he'd have clipped them without a doubt.

To be fair, it's probably not his fault. As a human being he might be hard-wired to hate the gays. Right?

Archived