Favourite Survivor Series team?

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Doesn't matter how they got on or what the match was like. Which Survivor Series team was your favourite?

Mine would be the Warriors from 1990. Huge fan of the Ultimate Warrior like every other kid in 1990. Texas Tornado was another favourite after he turned up and took the IC Title at SummerSlam. Obviously had no idea back then who the Von Erichs were but he was a fantastic looking dude who punched the fuck out Mr Perfect and had a cool name. Then the LOD. Again, no preconceived notion of who they were. They were just two huge guys with awesome paint and gear who I took an instant liking to. In November 1990, these three acts, along with Savage and Bret, where probably my favourites in the world and given my level of fandom back then - perhaps the most I've ever loved wrestlers.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Cant see how you look past the Visionaries. Rick Martel, the Warlord and Power and Glory. They clean sweeped 3 Hall of Famers and Marty Jannetty, who usually ends up pilled up and swimming in hotel fountains as the HOF is taking place. Fair enough, the Warrior and Hogan made short work of them later on in the night, but that was because those two wouldnt do the job. If it was a real fight, I'd have my money on the Visionaries.

Hogan, Demolition and Jake Roberts looked great together in 1989. Every year there was always a cracking all star team, like the previously mentioned LOD, Von Erich, Warrior foursome. It seems like whoever held the WWF title going into Survivors got the best pick of the wrestlers.

Worst team has to be this lot. They make me want to vomit just looking at them. All WWF Hall of Famers as well. Where as there are no Hall of Famers in the Visionaries.

Survivor_Series_1990_-_Alliance_Team_01.

Actually here's my post from the Survivor Series tribute thread a few years back.

Survivor Series is this Sunday, and its got the return of the Rock. So in tribute, lets talk about how class the Survivor Series has been since 1987. Fair enough, it hasnt been up to much in years, but its still the Survivor Series. Also this could be the last ever Survivor Series. They were going to get rid of it this year, but had a change of heart. If this buyrate doesn't do well, the Survivor Series could get the axe, which would be a shame. It was always one to look forward to. Funny team names, unique characters banding together for the first time ever, about a million different colours blinding the viewer as they all made their entrance. Especially in the 80s and early 90s, the Survivor Series was a crackng PPV. If it wasn't for Survivor Series and Royal Rumble, wrestling figures would be useless. A lot of imagination could be used when it comes to the elimination matches. Rumbles and SS Elimination bouts were all I used to do when I had a dozen or so wrestling figures out to play with. I remember having a team called "TEAM USA" which featured the The Warrior, The Bulldog, Bret Hart and Andre. Geography was never a strong subject back then.

There were some belting teams. For example -

The Hulkamaniacs:

Survivor_Series_1989_-_Hulkamniacs_Team_

There might not have been a cooler squad in wrestling history. Not now obviously. If you saw them all in 2011, you probably couldn't knit an oven glove if you used all their hair on their heads, but in 1989, they were brilliant. Jake was in his prime, Hogan was at his height in popularity and you had Demolition, who were always cool. What was strange about this was that Demolition ended up both doing clean jobs, even though they were the tag champions and Jake Roberts ended up taking a pin fall for his main rival, yet 3 of the Million Dollar Team were DQ'd. They usually would do that with the LOD or some other top babyface, not the heels.

The Warriors:

Survivor_Series_1990_-_Warriors_Team_01.

Closely followed (or beaten by a country mile, if mustaches and bondage gear wasn't yout thing), was The Ultimate Warrior, Kerry Von Erich and the Legion Of Doom. The picture says it all, but these four looked the business. Giant, painted up, steroid freaks with mental hair and more than a touch of colour. Just look at that picture. Awesome.

There was some crap as well obviously:

The Alliance:

Survivor_Series_1990_-_Alliance_Team_01.

The only Alliance worse than the one that had Rhino and Chuck Palumbo as the muscle. Fucking rotten. The antithesis of the Warrior Team. Elbow drops and clotheslines and other nothing moves got rid of these fuckers. Sgt Slaughter took a DQ loss, even thought he slapped through this group of pisswits with ease. You needed someone to put doubt in the minds of the little ones that Hogan and Warrior had a chance of losing in the Match of Survival at the end of the PPV though, so Tito at least did one job by the end of the night.

Best Survivor Series:

Survivor Series 1988 was my favourite for years. You had a main event with the Boss Man, Savage and Hogan in it. All at their best physical prime, all at their most over. WWF could do no wrong as far as the big angles went in 1988. Then you had that 40-odd minute 20 man tag team match featuring every big team in the WWF. It showcased the lot of them. Everyone paced their moves so well it didn't look like a complete cluster fuck, although everyone thought Mr. Fuji had turned heel at the end of it. And you had Andre kicking off at the end of the Snakes vs French Blokes match.

Survivor_Series_1988_-_Hogan_Team_Vs_BosSurvivor_Series_1988_-_Demolition_Team_V

But Survivor Series 98 was the best Survivor Series ever. Just brilliant from start to finish, it was WWF storytelling at its finest. I dont think they had done a better PPV up until that point. Its the only PPV I remember being completely glued to and kept watching for days. Even WrestleMania's I'm mostly wanting to fast forward until the big matches come on. Survivor Series 98 had about a thousand twists and turns all making sense and ending a bunch of storylines with question marks at the end opening up a whole host other others. Fucking excellent:

Survivor_Series_1998_-_Steve_Austin_Vs_M

Other shite worth of note:

Boss Man Pissing Through Nailz with Ease:

Survivor_Series_1992_-_Big_Boss_Man_Vs_N

As I said in my tribute to the Boss Man, after the Boss Man got beaten within a handcuff key away from perminant paralysis, I thought Nailz was going slap him about. But Boss Man showed up and completely arsed it with no bother whats so ever. It was probably the same feeling got when Man City beat Man United 6-1. I was expecting a hard match, but Boss Man manned it.

• Paid Members

The Warriors is the right answer to this, for all the reasons stated plus the bonus that as well as the Ultimate Warrior, Kerry used to be the Modern Day Warrior and LOD were of course the Road Warriors everywhere else but WWF.

Whether this was purely coincidental or a *nudge-wink* inside joke, it's still great.

• Paid Members

The Rude Brood, though they should have been called Rude's Dudes. More neon and thus cooler on the night, the perfect combination of "These guys are such cocky pricks, they deserve to be destroyed" and "Fair play to them, they're bloody good wrestlers even if they cheat".

SS-89-Rude-Brood.jpg

Honestly, that Slaughter match on 1990 is one of the most anaemic affairs you'll ever see. Imagine the old style cut-in building this match to start the show, one square at a time sliding in for each team to reveal a member. First, Tito and Slaughter. Then Volkoff and Zukhox. Then Luke and Kato. Then Butch and Tanaka.

• Paid Members

I've been watching the build to Survivor Series 1995 recently. The wildcard thing was basically three faces and one heel on one side and then vice versa. Maybe just me but 20 years of lots of turns and opponents being forced to team up being a regular gimmick has watered down the concept a bit.

• Paid Members

Least favourite is HBK and his Knights.

I couldn't see the TV back then and obviously had no idea about Lawler's yewtree so that team was just utterly confusing. Even with Lawler on board it would have been shit.

Less shit than that time Roddy Piper picked his own team for Wargames though.

Least favourite is HBK and his Knights.

I couldn't see the TV back then and obviously had no idea about Lawler's yewtree so that team was just utterly confusing. Even with Lawler on board it would have been shit.

Less shit than that time Roddy Piper picked his own team for Wargames though.

Uncensored 97. It was two random Power Plant guys and John Tenta. The segment bombed, WCW freaked and the Horsemen were inserted into the match. Least that's what I remember.

Plus let me throw in my team of the Powers of Pain, Bulldogs, Rockers, Harts and The Young Stallions. Love that 2nd tag team match. No chance this years gets 40+ minutes.

Archived